General discussion

Anyone know how to restart a service once it's been disabled

by alsylvia / February 26, 2010 9:21 AM PST

Dell Vostro 1000
AMD Sempron Processor
1 Gb of Ram
75 GB on the hard drive
Running Windows XP Home SP3

While trying to hunt down a virus, my son disabled some pretty important services (like Workstation and RPC -- gotta love him!) I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to restart a service once it's been disabled. Clicking on properties in the services tool does not open up a dialog box (actually on any of the services, not just the disabled ones)

I've ordered a reinstall disk in case I have to wipe the machine. Any ideas?

Peace,
Al

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone know how to restart a service once it's been disabled
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone know how to restart a service once it's been disabled
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mildly advanced. Read link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 9:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, but sc isn't working either
by alsylvia / February 26, 2010 12:22 PM PST
Collapse -
A recent discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 12:45 PM PST

Found the registry was damaged causing services to not start.

Google "XP Repair Install" and after you backup, maybe you can use that.
Bob

Collapse -
Just asking if you have tried the usual route
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 8:45 PM PST

and that is to open the Services Console in XP, to re-enable those services.

If you haven't tried this yet, goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. In the window that pops-up, you can scroll down to the Service you want to change, highlight and double click and change as you need.

If you are not sure which services are required, optional, not needed, have a look at the BlackViper's guide to services for Windows XP Home SP3 here;
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Does that help?

Mark

Collapse -
Additionally but might not help
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2010 10:30 PM PST

Many services have what's called "dependencies". This means some cannot run without others running as well. You can these under the service properties by going to dependency's and seeing what else is a prerequisite before attempting to start that service.

Collapse -
Much Thanks, but still stuck
by alsylvia / February 27, 2010 2:21 AM PST

Thanks all for great info. Unfortunately, I have used the service console. The problem is that double clicking a service in the console does nothing (the computer does not respond) and right-clicking and highlighting "properties" does nothing (again, the computer does not respond). That's why I was looking for a trick -- some other way of enabling a service (I need to enable the Workstation service and the Remote Call Procedure service). Since I can't get the properties from any of the services, I can't follow the chain of dependencies easily.

It's looking like I will have to re-install windows. If anyone else had any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Peace,
Al

Collapse -
Much Thanks, but still stuck
by boregard1 / March 10, 2010 9:36 PM PST

As a last resort, you could try the "restore" function.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?