General discussion

Anyone know how to restart a service once it's been disabled

Dell Vostro 1000
AMD Sempron Processor
1 Gb of Ram
75 GB on the hard drive
Running Windows XP Home SP3

While trying to hunt down a virus, my son disabled some pretty important services (like Workstation and RPC -- gotta love him!) I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to restart a service once it's been disabled. Clicking on properties in the services tool does not open up a dialog box (actually on any of the services, not just the disabled ones)

I've ordered a reinstall disk in case I have to wipe the machine. Any ideas?

Peace,
Al

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Anyone know how to restart a service once it's been disabled
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone know how to restart a service once it's been disabled
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Mildly advanced. Read link.
- Collapse -
Thanks, but sc isn't working either
- Collapse -
A recent discussion

Found the registry was damaged causing services to not start.

Google "XP Repair Install" and after you backup, maybe you can use that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just asking if you have tried the usual route

and that is to open the Services Console in XP, to re-enable those services.

If you haven't tried this yet, goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. In the window that pops-up, you can scroll down to the Service you want to change, highlight and double click and change as you need.

If you are not sure which services are required, optional, not needed, have a look at the BlackViper's guide to services for Windows XP Home SP3 here;
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Does that help?

Mark

- Collapse -
Additionally but might not help

Many services have what's called "dependencies". This means some cannot run without others running as well. You can these under the service properties by going to dependency's and seeing what else is a prerequisite before attempting to start that service.

- Collapse -
Much Thanks, but still stuck

Thanks all for great info. Unfortunately, I have used the service console. The problem is that double clicking a service in the console does nothing (the computer does not respond) and right-clicking and highlighting "properties" does nothing (again, the computer does not respond). That's why I was looking for a trick -- some other way of enabling a service (I need to enable the Workstation service and the Remote Call Procedure service). Since I can't get the properties from any of the services, I can't follow the chain of dependencies easily.

It's looking like I will have to re-install windows. If anyone else had any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Peace,
Al

- Collapse -
Much Thanks, but still stuck

As a last resort, you could try the "restore" function.

CNET Forums