General discussion

Anyone know about this virus?

Think I may have picked up a virus - All of my Favorites have been wiped and now I can't add them. Facebook also seems to be playing up

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Anyone know about this virus?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone know about this virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tried Checking For One?

If so, which tools have you used to run a scan? Which operating system are you using? More information would sure help.

In the meantime, please try the tools below:

First, click on the link below to download the ESET online scanner tool. Run the tool, then run a full system scan.
ESET Online Scanner

After using the above, click on the link below and run the spyware scan it provides:
SuperAntispyware Online Scanner

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Try malwarebytes

Whatever that is - its best to run and anti-virus program/scan and get everything detected eliminated. Even if this favorites thing is not due to a virus it sure wouldnt hurt to do a scan. The best free one IMO is malware-bytes. --> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Everytime I had a problem and all the major anit-virus programs would fail, malwarebytes came to the rescue. Good luck!

- Collapse -
That is because

That is because Malwarebytes isn't an AV program it's an anti-malware program. Completely different class of threat. There's viruses, worms, and trojans that make up the traditional trio of threats, and now a fourth category has emerged in the form of malware. It's not a virus, it's not a worm, it's not a trojan, so most AV programs won't pick them up.

- Collapse -
Yes it is

Don't be fooled by a name Jimmy. Sure, its called Malwarebytes but it deals with ALL types of threat - and very successfully so as I can attest (the registered version has live protection). I suspect you havent really used Malwarebytes yourself otherwise you wouldnt say what you said? Btw, how do you know that what st.beef describes is not a virus, worm, trojan etc? Hmm... Wink

- Collapse -
Sorry, The Free Malwarebytes Does NOT Detect Many Viruses...

It wasn't originally designed to detect viruses, (either paid or free version) but instead to detect various types of malware that most antivirus programs miss. Although their advertising indicates viruses are detected, it's a poor antivirus detector. As just an example, I've run a few tests in years past and just ran one of them again.. Do a search for the EICAR test file on Google.. Now disable your onboard antivirus program, then download a couple of the EICAR test files to any folder on your desktop. All decent antivirus programs are designed to detect the EICAR test file (AVG, Avira, Avast, McAfee, Norton, Trend Micro, etc.) Now ask Malwarebytes to scan the folder. It won't identify the EICAR test file as malware. Now enable your antivirus program and run a scan of the folder.. It WILL detect the test file. (Just a note: Another malware detection program named "SuperAntispyware" WILL detect the EICAR test file but doesn't delete it automatically as most antivirus programs do.) I've found it interesting they say the reason is because they don't want to put some of the fake and older viruses in their database...and yet they put other fake malware in their database such as the Spycar fake malware.. Just know that Malwarebytes isn't as good at detecting viruses as a dedicated antivirus program.

I've also tested Malwarebytes on a few older viruses which I keep around here for such tests.. It doesn't find quite a few.

That's not to say it's not an excellent tool for removing malware from your computer. I use it all the time. It's just important to know EXACTLY what each tool is looking for. When cleaning out a computer of unknown types of malware, be sure to run a good antivirus program AND a good antimalware program.. Or maybe a couple of both types, just to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info