General discussion

Anyone know a pico projector I can hook up directly to DSLR?

Hey everyone,

I am trying to find a pico projector I can hook up directly to my camera so I can shoot photo's/video and then immediately display them. Has anyone done this yet? It looks like a couple of them come with video inputs like the P2 from Aaxa tech and the Optoma Pk101. I like the Optoma because it is a lot cheaper but the P2 is a lot brighter. How important is brightness in a projector? It's not really that big a deal is it?

Here is the P2: http://www.aaxatech.com/products/p2_pico_projector.htm

and here is the Pk101: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4695510&SRCCODE=WEBGOOSKU25&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Anyone know a pico projector I can hook up directly to DSLR?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone know a pico projector I can hook up directly to DSLR?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tethered shooting

This is not what you ask, but may be relevant to what you want to do.

Reviews of pico projectors have not been favorable for their image quality, tend to be low quality with color/saturation/sharpness/details problems. You can easily google the reviews and read them yourself.

Tethered shooting has been done for quite a while, mainly among the pros or serious enthusiasts. This is mainly for Canon and Nikon cameras. You can connect via USB from camera to computer, and record/display photos or even video directly without wasting time with the memory card. Tethered shooting is mainly for photos, most commonly done in studio and on-location pros to show clients images immediately on the computer or laptop. But I have read that you can do tethered shoot for D-SLR video too. Viewing photos on computer or laptop screen will look much better than the pico projector. You can google tethered shooting easily and read it yourself.

- Collapse -
Good advice

Thanks for the reply hjfok. Tethering would be good except that I don't want them displayed on a small computer monitor. Maybe I should get a 50 inch LCD (..there I go dreaming again, Lol). Plus I'd like to be able to take it with me wherever I go. I actually think I found what I was looking for today on youtube.

The reviews were good on this one and it's a lot brighter with 66 lumens, which I did find out is pretty important. The Aaxa M1 has an SD card input on it. I know that the resolution won't be as good as a computer monitor but at least it is still 800x600 which is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSdYGB8kuXw

- Collapse -
Projectors

A good TV quality or business grade projector has about 500 to 1000 lumens. Although 66 lumens is a quite an improvement over the older pico projector models, it is still lightyears away from the current top traditional projectors.

One big problem with a dim and small low quality projector is that you need to find a dark room to see the images. You also need to find a smooth white or gray wall to project your images. Carrying a collapsable screen in not practical for most people.

Don't count on these tiny projectors to show off your photos, you will showing the content of the images rather than the details and colors.

This is kind of similar to those tiny Polaroid pocket printers, the print quality is terrible but it is fun to share photos while you're still in the party.

- Collapse -
Gotcha

Oh okay. So as long as I can keep my viewing to a somewhat dimly lit room I will be okay? I guess really it depends on who is using it and for what purpose. When portability is important these pico projectors are your best option, but if you have the ability (and funds) for a big business projector or tv and you don't need to carry it everywhere you should get the bigger one. Right?

CNET Forums

Forum Info