General discussion

Anyone interested in a PC/PS3 Hybrid?

I have a little project for myself; and I plan to follow through with it.

I have a 60GB PS3 shell, internal frames, etc.
I also have a blueprint for a PC that looks like a PS3 on the outside.
(I have done over seven months of measuring, research, etc.
... and I know it can be done. I've seen a google image post by chance,
can't find it again).

So if I put up a bid for a PS3 PC with:

PS3 Case
Core i5-661
Zotac H55ITX-A-E Mini-ITX Motherboard
4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel
WD Scorpio Blue 160GB Hard Drive 2.5
Radeon HD 5570 (Kinda hard to fit a bigger card in there)
Slot-load DVD (Manual/Switch)
270W PSU
(Please Note: I have already taken care of internal cooling fans)

Now I mentioned that it can be done, but I didn't tell you that the guy who did it did NOT make it full-functional. He did not have the latest hardware and had no functional USB ports, nor did he have a slot-load drive. Not to mention he cut out the back of the PS3 and the motherboard was exposed. Ugly.

I will not be doing that; I will make sure none of the internal parts are revealed.

So I if I put up a bid on eBay with a PS3 case that was sealed off, had a working slot-load DVD drive, 4 front working USB ports, WiFi, Core-i5, capable of 1200x1600 resolution, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Ethernet ports, HDMI, Optical Port, VGA port, and a 160GB hard drive - not to mention all the ports would line up with the PS3 shell's ports - for $1500/$2000 min. bid + 90 day warranty from me, would anyone bid on it?

On top of that, for everyone with overheating concerns, I'm throwing in a USB based fan that is manufactured by DDR Game, Eforcity, or Sony (they are the same model, different brand) for the PS3.

And I'll throw in an HDMI cable with a detachable "HDMI to DVI-D" adapter.

(Plus I think I can extend the warranty depending on negotiations...)

Oh! and Windows 7 64bit.

If there are any suggestions that anyone can make (other than saying, "yes! I want it!") feel free to do so... this is a forum thread after all.

Your opinions are appreciated.

PS - I'd like to give inspirational credit to Electr0ant (http://ant.allenthinks.com/). He made the XB360 PC Mod and I wanted a PS3 counterpart.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Anyone interested in a PC/PS3 Hybrid?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone interested in a PC/PS3 Hybrid?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Interesting

Must say that this is interesting, however the 270W PSU might not be enough to ensure a smooth operation?

By the way, good choice for the WD scorpio hdd but if I were you, I would get a 500GB instead.

- Collapse -
PSU Issue

I thought about that, but it will be harder to find a right fit.
I already have a 270W lying around, but if necessary/possible I will probably upgrade to 450W.

Kinda hard to work with the PS3 shell.

CNET Forums

Forum Info