PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Anyone here have exp w/ Asus mobo and ddr3-1600?

I'm thinking of pairing 4GB of DDR3-1600 with a P5Q3 Deluxe, but when I research, there appear to be all sorts of issues with getting virtually any set of this speed of RAM and this mobo to play nice together.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone here have exp w/ Asus mobo and ddr3-1600?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone here have exp w/ Asus mobo and ddr3-1600?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just this.

In reply to: Anyone here have exp w/ Asus mobo and ddr3-1600?

I advised a client to not do this. They tried, failed and went with something else. I can't say I've seen it working yet.

In closing, there is no real payoff on DDR3 today. Why are you doing this?

Collapse -
Just looking to the future (eg 8GB when DDR3 goes down)

In reply to: Just this.

that way I am already on the DDR3 bandwagon when prices do fall, for whatever benefits I can gain. But in truth I do not care either way- I just want to be able to achieve ~400Mhz FSB which based on my math should make my Q9550 run at roughly 3.4Ghz at the 8.5 multiplier (seems like an easy, yet also significant overclock). I will be using a Noctua NH-U12P with 2 fans, if that matters as to the feasibility of that overclock goal.

Collapse -
Overclocking.

In reply to: Just looking to the future (eg 8GB when DDR3 goes down)

Sorry I never discuss that here. There is almost always grief for those that do that as they crash and burn too often. If that's what you want to do then do that but no one offers support for such things.

In other words, the people I deal with want stability.
Bob

Collapse -
That's fine by me

In reply to: Overclocking.

My only goal with overclocking is to achieve maximum performance within as close as one can come to stock stability with the obvious priority being overall stability over pure speed.

Collapse -
I'd seek out overclocking forums.

In reply to: That's fine by me

As you can imagine since I am always setting up machines to stock settings I don't see overclocked machines since the first thing we do is reset them to stock. Good luck with your experiments.

Collapse -
That's exactly why I hang out on these forums

In reply to: I'd seek out overclocking forums.

So that way I'm getting answers from folks who really know what they're doing aren't just hair on fire overclocking fanatics. I'm sure their fixes and workarounds are good enough, but I'd rather trust the word of true experts not tuners.

Collapse -
Parting tip.

In reply to: That's exactly why I hang out on these forums

The ONE (or two) things I am now constantly bumping into are out of date BIOS and incorrect memory settings. This usually only happens on home brew machines but it is showing up at the shop counters. Sadly, right or wrong those that are building are not aware that with the fast advances in memory technology we have to check the specs of the memory stick (voltage, etc.) and match this in the BIOS memory voltage and more.

So far, 100 percent of the time the poorer builder (we charge for the service) was unaware that as the designer they get to dive so deep.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.