Resolved Question

Anyone have update on service/use of StrightTalk prepaid pho

Has anyone used the Straight Talk prepaid service form WalMart using iPhone or Android? Att vs. Verizon?
I'm currently a verizon user and want to keep my #, but i don't think that's an issue these days. Thanks for any feedbackk.

Discussion is locked
kne5017894 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Anyone have update on service/use of StrightTalk prepaid pho
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone have update on service/use of StrightTalk prepaid pho
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Verizon and Straight Talk

You might want to run through the FAQ at Howardforums for ST. AFAIK, Verizon coverage via ST won't let you use a non-ST phone or smartphone (e.g. Verizon branded iPhone 4S). I may be incorrect regarding such a phone that was jailbroken, but it would be worth asking @ Hofo yourself if that's the phone you wanted.

Look especially close at the FAQ regarding difference in coverage based on the type of phone you ended up with, especially if it's ST supplied.

Link:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1774178-Straight-Talk-Frequently-Asked-Questions-(-quot-FAQ-quot-)-Updated-8-16-2012

- Collapse -
Straight Talk

Thanks, Pepe. It reads that 'you get what you pay for' So I will stay with my verizon for now. It reads that ST and At& t have some issues and Verizon won't work with a data phone.

- Collapse -
Answer
kne5017894

Hi Kne5017894, this is Sara from Straight Talk Wireless. Our BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) program which will allow customers to bring an AT&T, T-Mobile GSM phone or an unlocked domestic GSM phone to Straight Talk or NET10 by simply buying a SIM card from us. In order to activate the service you will need to have an unlimited card since our BYOP SIM will only work with the unlimited plan. The phone's APN (Access Point Name) setting must be updated once the phone has been activated in order for the MMS and browser to work. The APN settings can be found on the activation card. However, this will not work with CDMA (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS), TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, Straight Talk or BlackBerry phones. For SIM inquiries, you can visit our website at www.straighttalksim.com. In addition, you can keep your phone number from another carrier to Straight Talk service by porting the number. Feel free to send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com for further questions.

- Collapse -
Verizon & Str8 talk

Thanks Sara, but can you expound about the service with Verizon. They are the best coverage in the Atlanta area. What would be required for a smartphone/ verizon combo? Thanks

- Collapse -
Verizon & Str8 talk

Hi Kne5017894, I am Sara from Straight Talk Wireless. I read your post about your concern and we would like to help you. It is our great pleasure to satisfy you with our service. Verizon Wireless is a mobile network operator that provides service level to our valued customers. Furthermore, the service availability would still vary with the area where you most likely be using your phone. For Smartphones, we only support AT&T or T-Mobile networks. For more details, you may send us a reply at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com with your information.

CNET Forums