HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

Anyone have trouble with Fedora Core 1?

by chuckieu / February 12, 2004 5:30 AM PST

I ran into a few glitzes and went back to Red Hat 9 for now. Kernal is 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl. Was happy when Gimp-print 4.2.5 that I need was included, but didn't seem to work right. Installing same RPM in RH9 worked
correctly. Same thing happed on installing Winmodem
program. Tried setting everything up as Red Hat 9, then
updating with Fedora. Created problems. Not unhappy with it, just think I need to find more stable version, or wait for the kinks to be worked. chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone have trouble with Fedora Core 1?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone have trouble with Fedora Core 1?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Anyone have trouble with Fedora Core 1?
by fred_beondo / February 12, 2004 9:03 PM PST

I've been messing around with FC1 for about a week now and, as I'm running an HT 3Ghz P4, have found that when using the smp kernel one of the "2" cpus is idle 100% of the time. This is not right. The box runs like a Celeron based pc this way. It actually runs better with the UP kernel but far short of the performance I've enjoyed running SuSE 9 with 2.4.23 ( the distrib version of SuSE 9's smp kernel never worked correctly for me - pcmcia and usb were broken ). Support for my Radeon 9600 (mobile) video (2d only) existed in SuSE but the generic 2d performance of fedora is much better than SuSE's (no flickering on gl screensavers for example). Fedora is a pretty young project right now. I'm hoping the project leaders don't run out of steam.

Collapse -
New manual...
by chuckieu / February 15, 2004 2:45 AM PST

Borrowed a new Fedora Core 1 manual of the same issue as my Red Hat 9 manual. Must have taken their intern a whole week(if they were slow) to change Red Hat to Fedora. Very
little new info, and that doesn't seem to really matter.
Also installed distro from the disks in book. Turns out to be same kernel I bought(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl) and has same problems. In an earlier post, someone had a later
version(4119), but haven't seen that anywhere else. Now
happy with RH9, except for the auto-loading modules problem. chuck

Collapse -
Correction
by chuckieu / February 15, 2004 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: New manual...

Misspoke. David has version 2.4.22-1.2149, according to an earlier post. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.