Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anyone have a "Kindle"?

by James Denison / December 5, 2011 12:23 AM PST

Thinking of getting one for someone this Christmas. Any good? I can read the comments on sites, but I'm never sure how many of those are real buyers and how many are shills for competitors giving bad grades and shills maybe for the seller too.

Touch screens or keyboards, which is preferred and why? I'm worried touch screens might have a greater breakdown problem than those with buttons, but it might be the other way around.

There's also 4 (more?) different ones available.

I've also noticed Barnes and Nobles has a "Nook" and wondering if it's better than the "Kindle"? It looks like it might be more durable, especially if dropped, or I was looking at something that can be added to it?

Also, does one have cheaper book prices than the other and do both have ability to keep books in "the cloud" after purchase?

Can all of them be read in the dark, or only certain models. I'd really like lights dimmed when watching TV and someone else is reading.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone have a "Kindle"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone have a "Kindle"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the kindle classic black/white and have a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 3:38 AM PST

I also have the Nook but first let me write that if someone drops these then it's game over. To make these withstand drops would drive the price up by quite a bit and be a tax on more careful users.

So if you do this, maybe you oughta get an OTTERBOX for them?

The beef I have with the Kindle is the ease of buying stuff is too easy. If I set my Kindle down and don't lock it then anyone can make purchases without any password or passphrase. This is why the Kindle rarely sees the light of day and is locked away.

The Nook is an OK reader but the content is far more expensive than the Kindle. But have no fear as I installed the real android on it and can get to BN as well as Kindle content now. The Kindle app still has me keeping the pads locked up.

As to the cloud, the kindle books are readable on PC, Apple, Nook, Kindle and more.

Read in the dark? That's personal. That is, I can't guess how good your eyesight is.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't have any of that
by Diana Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 5:09 AM PST

but I do have the Kindle app on my Android phone and it works great on that.

Diana

Collapse -
we use Tracfone
by James Denison / December 5, 2011 9:16 AM PST

so phone app is not an option for us.

Collapse -
thanks, answered a lot of questions
by James Denison / December 5, 2011 9:16 AM PST

I've been wanting a personal comparison like that. I'm leaning toward the Kindle even before that, more so now. I was also worried about the B&N costs versus those from Amazon for Kindle books.

About reading in the dark or low light. Isn't the screen backlit or is it dependent on outside lighting like calculator screens often are?

Collapse -
screens are not back lit except on the new Fire
by grimgraphix / December 7, 2011 3:47 AM PST

The models that are easy to read in full sunlight are not back lit. The Kindle Fire is back lit like a laptop screen is... with all the problems associated with viewing that style of screen in direct sunlight.

Collapse -
Lighting
by Monte521 / December 9, 2011 12:06 PM PST

The Kindles have cases available that have built in lights that run off the Kindle battery. These cases also provide protection for the Kindle.

The Kindle is fairly robust (but I have not exactly tested how much they will take). I have had mine for just over a year and it looks just about like it did brand new. In the spring I bought one for my younger daughter. Hers looks the same. Both of us carry ours around in backpacks/bags everyday. No problems.

Collapse -
that case
by James Denison / December 9, 2011 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Lighting

It cost almost same as a Kindle, about $50 when I checked.

Collapse -
Cover with built in light
by Eileen36 / December 10, 2011 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Lighting

Problem with this cover is that the light eats up the battery. I bought a case at Target for $25 and a clip on light for $5. Both work great. Cover is by Speck and also has a built in stand. I love it.

Collapse -
I just bought the basic 79$
by Glenda. / December 5, 2011 5:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Yep I'm thinking of getting that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 5:46 AM PST

I have Amazon's Kindle software for the PC but I don't use it much. My Desktop is a bit heavy to carry around!

So, I might get the Kindle.

Mark

Collapse -
I did the Nook Android trick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm thinking strongly of that one
by James Denison / December 5, 2011 9:19 AM PST

I can't see how the added capabilities of the more expensive ones is of that much greater benefit since the Kindle would mostly use home wi-fi to download a book and then read at leisure later on. I don't see a need for 3G capability. I was wondering if the keyboard variety of the next step up is worth the cost.

Collapse -
my kindle
by Glenda. / December 5, 2011 9:49 AM PST

does have a keyboard, you just touch a button and it pops up on the screen

Collapse -
3G is worth it!
by jimichan / December 10, 2011 2:54 AM PST

While traveling abroad, the 3G connectivity really came in handy. I could download a book or newspaper any time (even downloaded a newspaper while traveling at about 200MPH across Japan), and while the browser is rudimentary, it worked for me. And, it's free!

Collapse -
Yup,love it.....
by Tony Holmes / December 5, 2011 6:12 AM PST

my lady and I have each had an Amazon Kindle(Keyboard) for over a year now and no problems.We each bought ours before the "touch" came out.Our's have wifi and communicate quite nicely with my wireless network.

Bob is right,game would be over if you dropped a bare Kindle on a hard floor.You just solve the problem by getting a protective case for it which protects it quite nicely.A standard Kindle is not back lit,if you want to read in the dark you must by a light for it for about $20.

http://www.staples.com/M-Edge-e-Luminator2-Booklight-for-Amazon-Kindle-and-Sony-Reader-Daily/product_908950

If you have a local Staples,go there and "test drive" the different models before deciding.You can also visit Amazon's "Kindle" page and read more Q&A/learn more about the damn thing than you ever wanted to.

Your intended recipient doesn't need to spend a dime on buying books if they don't want to.(of course there's a ton on Amazon if they want to buy them.)

There's enough free E-Books here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ to keep them in reading material for the rest of their life..

Collapse -
ah, the keyboard
by James Denison / December 5, 2011 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Yup,love it.....

why that one? Is it preferable to the touch screen? I think i'd prefer buttons to touch screen but it's not for me. Can it be read in the dark? There are times when one would prefer to read while I prefer lights out while watching TV, since the clash of TV bluish light with light bulb yellowish light gives me a headache.

Collapse -
When we bought our's,the only choice was keyboard with....
by Tony Holmes / December 5, 2011 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: ah, the keyboard

6" or 9.7" screen/gray or white,touch screen wasn't out yet.Yeah,I think I paid around $130 when I got mine.

Our local Staples is the only store I found that has Emeril's K-cups for my Keurig so I go there every 2 weeks to renew my stash of it.I was there this past Sun and stopped to look at the newer Kindles in their E reader section.It looks as though you'd be able to read a Kindle "Fire" in the dark with it's color screen.Cnet did a fairly recent review of it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/amazon-kindle-fire/4505-3126_7-35022491.html?tag=mncol;txt#reviewPage1

Staples has an excellent no hasssle 14 day return policy if you discover a problem.If you get one,wring it out when you get it home before giving it as a present.Charge it,make sure the wifi syncs up with your wireless network,etc.My lady's wouldn't charge correctly and she brought it back the next day,they gave her a new one which has been trouble free.

I'd feel uncomfortable buying something like that online without being able to examine it personally beforehand.

Collapse -
Emeril's K-cups for my Keurig
by James Denison / December 7, 2011 2:28 AM PST
Collapse -
For $1.93 less, 2 more cups at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 2:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanx for the links gentlemen,duly noted....
by Tony Holmes / December 7, 2011 5:15 AM PST

and I have tried "Jet Fuel",it came in a sampler pack,it is too much Happy

My favorite is Emeril's with Newman's Special a close second.In the evening I have "Green Mountain French Roast Decaf".It's a damn good blend and I can't tell that it's decaf by the taste,no trouble sleeping either.

Collapse -
(NT) Staples chec
by Eileen36 / December 10, 2011 2:02 AM PST
Collapse -
My "went too soon post.
by Eileen36 / December 10, 2011 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Staples chec

I was going to say that you can check out Kindles at Staples but buy from Amazon because Amazon's return policy is 30 days and As noted, Staples is 14. Having said that I bought mine at Staples. I felt 14 days was long enough and they take it back even if not back in the box. Just pop in the bag and back it goes. But I don't know why, if all you want to do is read books, you would want to take it back. I have the KKSO with 65.free books loaded, well 4 I bought. I read everyday and the battery life is outstanding.

Collapse -
that's an important consideration to me
by James Denison / December 5, 2011 9:31 AM PST
"A standard Kindle is not back lit,if you want to read in the dark you must by a light for it for about $20."

That was another I wondered about. I thought maybe they had a choice between the grey that is show in ads and maybe a white screen for greater contrast. Hmm, that alone might push me to a higher end reader or tablet. You have the mid range Kindle it seems and it isn't backlit either. Darn, that's a big point with what I want to get.
Collapse -
Don't have one, but I think Kindle
by Roger NC / December 5, 2011 10:11 AM PST

avoided the backlight for so long because of the type of "electronic ink" they used. It let them have battery power that lasted for days, even weeks between charges.

Collapse -
I'm looking at Pandigital 7" for that
by James Denison / December 6, 2011 2:36 AM PST

It does have a backlit screen, readable in the dark, such as when one person is sleeping and the other wants to read, but without a lamp on. They seem to run around $75-90 from various places and that particular model can be upgraded to newer Android. My main worry there is obsolescence, complaints about lack of support, and maybe slower response of the system overall. Still, for a reader it should be sufficient while allowing some additional capabilities near the same price range of a basic Kindle.

I noticed also borders had a reader (I think one was backlit too) which can also be upgraded, but if you visit http://www.borders.com you end up now at barnes and noble bookstore's special page for that due to ongoing bankruptcy proceedings. So, obsolescence of that particular reader is even more risky.

Collapse -
It's reviews like this which turn me off on Pandigital
by James Denison / December 6, 2011 2:42 AM PST
There seems to be too many for all of them to be directed attacks on it other than by actual customers, and who would expect Pandigital to be big enough to become a concentrated target for other producers of ebooks and tablets? The old axiom of "you get what you pay for" might be applicable here, even "you don't get what you pay for".
Collapse -
Yup love it
by Eileen36 / December 10, 2011 1:59 AM PST

I have 65 books on my Sept bought Kindle, all but four were free from Amazon. I have the KKSO and love it.

Collapse -
These are going to be cheap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2011 3:04 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks James. I sic'd my dog onto that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 3:37 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!