TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Anyone had problems. . .

with the Dish 211 receiver?

Last week one of my 811 receivers died, wouldn't turn on. I called Dish Network and for a flat fee of 75 bucks they would install a new dish and a new 211 receiver. Naturally this came with a two year contract. But since I've had Dish since '97, no problem.

The installer came out Tuesday and replaced the dish, the multi-receiver switch, and installed the 211 receiver. Looks nice, getting a few more HD programs. Tuesday night we turned it off and went to bed. Wednesday morning turned it on and all I got was the "Searching for signal". It stuck on step three. I called Dish and they sent a tech out Thursday and replaced it. Watched it Thursday, shut down for the night. Friday morning, same-same.

Called Dish and a tech and and supervisor are supposed to come out Monday.

I don't trouble shoot warranty problems, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone had problems. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone had problems. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't that normal when it unit is COMPLETELY off?

In reply to: Anyone had problems. . .

I wonder if there is a power standby setup.

Collapse -

I just had Dish install HD just last week (friday) & I got the HDDVR 722 & the HDDVR 612 (both free). Both do that same thing in the morning, I think it is a power saving thing, too me it does not bug me since it just takes about 30 sec or less.

For anyone thinking of upgrading to HD (dishnetwork) & cost is a factor. When you call & ask about costs just say "that is more then DirectTV" & then they should transfer you to someone else & ask them to wave the "Upgrade costs". I got all 'upgrade' costs waved ($175), $109 credit on the bill & 2 free HDDVR. I just had to pick-up some cables to hook the HDDVR to the TV (Component/HDMI), they don't include any cables, so I pick-up some up from monoprice Happy

Collapse -
Tech out today. . .

They seem to think it's a software glitch in the 211. He got it to work with a restore to default. But this removes my screen size, resolution, and favorites list. He also said the unit is supposed to stay on. So if it stays on 24/7 it'll work. He said if I turn it off and then back on and it sticks again to restore to default again and to call him.

So it sounds like a software glitch. Just what I need. If this keeps happening I'll tell them to just give me an 811 back. The 211 picks up more HD programming from another satellite, but 95% is sports and that's useless to me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.