Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anyone got their taxes done yet?

by Steven Haninger / January 30, 2006 10:12 AM PST

Finished mine tonight after starting this weekend...both fed and state. Also got my daughter's done and waiting for her to sign when she comes home this weekend. I still can't bring myself to try the "telefile" method but I do have refunds direct deposited. The Hope and Lifetime Learning education credits have meant we get larger refunds these past years. Anyway, I've never gotten these filed before the end of January so this is a first. Whew! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone got their taxes done yet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone got their taxes done yet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep - in the mail on the 26th
by Mac McMullen / January 30, 2006 10:36 AM PST

Did them the old fashioned way. Pencil on the "draft", then checked the instructions on each line just to make sure, then copied in ink on the "final". In the envelopes and in the post office on the 26th.

Confirmed my impression from prior years....the worst part is thinking about having to do them. The doing is just an amount of patient drugery.

Collapse -
Still waiting on 1099s ...
by Bill Osler / January 30, 2006 10:38 AM PST

The deadline for some of my paperwork is later than the usual January 31 date. It may be several weeks before I can file mine.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope, problem with a K1
by duckman / January 30, 2006 10:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Here's what I used to do but it's a pain
by Steven Haninger / January 30, 2006 8:11 PM PST

On my wife's side there had been a children's trust which was established by a grandfather. My wife is the oldest of 9 (Catholics, of course..:)). As the trust was being dismantled and distributed, a portion went to each over the course of 3 or 4 years. The amounts per person were small but these needed to be included as income and were taxed. The forms from the trust administrator seemed to make it right at the buzzer. I would do my taxes earlier and begin an amended return which I would file after April 15th. I'd have to include a small check. If you are due a refund anyway, it might be something to consider.

Collapse -
The problem is,
by duckman / January 30, 2006 8:56 PM PST

the lines on the K1 from the lawyer, don't jive with the lines on the TurboTax form.

Collapse -
Hmmm....
by Evie / January 30, 2006 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: The problem is,

... perhaps had a similar problem. If you don't e-file, you might consider just entering the final numbers on the form itself in TurboTax by overriding the "calculated values". If you e-file I'm not sure you are even allowed to override, but if you printout and mail it in, there is NO indication on the ''final product'' that you didn't let TT do all the work.

I hope I'm remembering the right form! When the hubby had his business we had both the Sched C and K1 associated with that.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Just finally got the W2's!
by Evie / January 30, 2006 10:59 AM PST

Both the hubby and I have tax issues involving ''outside parties'', so even if it were done, those parties usually do their parts circa March. We try as best we can to minimize what is owed to us by the government, or if possible to owe. Last year we almost got snagged with that because Uncle Sam doesn't like it if you don't give them your money ahead of time if you end up owing too much. Then you pay a penalty for under-withholding Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Yup,got the W2 on the 27th...........
by Tony Holmes / January 30, 2006 11:07 AM PST

and e-filed on the 28th.Waiting on the direct deposit refund any day now.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The Grand daughter already has her refund:)
by Glenda / January 30, 2006 11:17 AM PST
Collapse -
So complicated
by bulldogzerofive / January 30, 2006 6:07 PM PST

Why is it that my federal taxes are 6 times my state ones, cover about 6 times as many programs as my state taxes, yet it takes 6 times as much time to fill out the state taxes?

Collapse -
Personally, I wish this was reversed
by Steven Haninger / January 30, 2006 8:22 PM PST
In reply to: So complicated

with less for the feds and more for the states. I imagine this depends on your state and individual situation. My state taxes are fairly simple but I need to reconcile my federal taxes first. My own state is starting to agressively pursue residents who make purchases from merchants (particuarly on-line purchases) and sales tax is not paid up front. They have declared an ''amnesty'' period for this year enabling folks to ''fess up'' and pay up. This has been my ownly hitch this year...trying to get legal before the hammer drops (if it will at all). It will require extra record keeping. Since all my such purchases are done with a single credit card and downloaded into Quicken on my PC, I can see the card use but will need to tag the untaxed purchases and generate reports to compute the tax. I wonder how many other states are going after this sales tax with their fangs showing. Happy

Collapse -
What State is that?
by Evie / January 30, 2006 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: So complicated

The only thing complicated statewise for me is that often I have income from out of state so must file two returns. But almost all of the numbers come from the federal form anyway.

Collapse -
Haven't got W-2 or 1099 yet
by Roger NC / January 30, 2006 9:38 PM PST

Was a memo at work other day, all W2 would be postmarked by Jan 31.

What a crock, my last check stub had all the totals already on it, so why does the company computer need a month to print out W2?

And I've never gotten NC 1099 for former years tax return before Febuary.

What a crock.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Haven't even got my wife's W-2 yet, Steve!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 30, 2006 10:14 PM PST

to say nothing of a bunch of 1099s...

What software do you use? I'm a Taxcut fan, myself.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I don't use tax prep software
by Steven Haninger / January 31, 2006 3:19 AM PST

Mine's not that complicated. I track charitable donations using Quicken. Cash ones a tougher and I know I lose out a bit on these. There's hardly a week goes by at church without some special collection and I give to most of these...and often folks representing some organization or another taking advantage of the captive audiences at traffic lights. Then you have the Salvation Army during Christmas time. I generally don't pass a kettle. Most of this is just forgotten at tax time...and probably should be.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Done and e-filed on the 26th.
by Cindi Haynes / January 31, 2006 3:36 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Corp. + personal returnes e-filed on the 16th
by caktus / January 31, 2006 5:04 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?