Computer Help forum

General discussion

Anyone else have problems with the Adobe Download Manager?

by BillBatts / April 17, 2011 4:46 AM PDT

When I go to adobe .com and click on download flash player, it takes me through the steps to install the download manager. I follow the steps, and give permission to install. But then 1 of 2 things happens
1. The progress bar is empty (No green fill in the status bar) but the percentage "complete" moves until it hits 100% and the the option to agree an install flash player pops up
2. The Progress bar and the percentage complete shows full and 100%, but then the flash installation agreement never pops up

wondering if others run into this as well

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone else have problems with the Adobe Download Manager?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone else have problems with the Adobe Download Manager?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure. But often you find folk trying the other way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 4:48 AM PDT

If I recall Adobe has other ways to get flash installed. Now there are folk that want this downloader to work, but there are too many reasons it may not.

Try the other install methods.
Bob

Collapse -
Thansk for quick reply
by BillBatts / April 17, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I always install it from the link found on adobe.com

once in awhile the download manager works fine. But mostly it is one of the two problems I described above

The recent install of flash player resulted in The progress bar being empty (No green fill in the status bar) but the percentage "complete" moveshit 100% . (Now in my contrl panel add/remove programs, Adobe Download manager showed as installed)

Then the option to agree an install flash player popped up. I agreed then installed and it showed as done. Flash player is installed (Evidenced by C:|Windows\System32\Macromed folder and also showing up in the add/remove programs)
so does this mean it is installed properly?

Collapse -
The best way to check
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thansk for quick reply
Collapse -
thanks
by BillBatts / April 17, 2011 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: The best way to check

I really dont care about the download manager as such, only as far as it pertains to the proper isnatllation of the flash player
Infact I tend to uninistall the adaobe download manager after the flash player is installed

Going to the test site Mark gave the link to, I do show that I have the latest version. I can view youtube videos and any page that has flash content seems to work so despite the adobe download manager not working as it is intended, it did install the flash player stuff?

Collapse -
Yes it has
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

That's a sure sign that it is installed correctly Bill.

I also get the Adobe Download Manager and find it intrusive and a nuisance. Well, not 'intrusive' perhaps, but it is part of an Adobe Updater process that I would love to disable because it must be running all the time. However it has me beaten. I can never find anything.

So now I have accepted my fate and I put up with Adobe, download manager and all! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by BillBatts / April 17, 2011 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it has

Mark, can't you remove adobe download manager from your control panel via add/remove programs?

Collapse -
Yes, You Can Uninstall The Download Manager, Then....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
thanks
by BillBatts / April 18, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

Should I uninstall the flash player now and then install from this link you gave?

And why doesn't adobe just take one directly to tha link instead of going through the download manager and stuff?

Collapse -
Download Managers Help Occasionally When...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

...users have internet connection problems which interrupt downloads.. The download manager allows the user to pick up where the download was broken. In addition, some download managers included various advertisement gimmicks. Personally, I've never had the need for such download "helpers", especially with small downloads such as flash.

As to uninstalling, then reinstalling Flash; If you've got an older version of Flash installed currently, then YES, uninstall the old and reinstall the newest versions which includes some recent security fixes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.