Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Anyone else besides me like VIsta?

by pmgf39 / March 4, 2007 10:16 PM PST

I've been running Vista for about a month. I find it to be a decent OS, but it doesn't have that "wow" factor MS is fond of marketing. I've been able to install all my peripherals (XFi card, HP printer, Logitech cam, Logitech wireless mouse&kb, Linksys router) without any problems. I like the new features, especially the search capability and the new Windows Explorer. That said, I don't find Vista to be a huge change over XP, and hope MS addresses the IE7 freezing problem that I've only encountered in Vista. It's also more demanding on my system. With XP, my PC ran quitely until I started a game or Nero, then the fan kicked in. With Vista, it runs on high all the time. Not a big issue.

Vista isn't mind-blowing by any means, but it's a nice step up from XP. As for the resistance to security holes, time will tell.

My rig:
Dell Dimension 9150
2.8 GHz Pentium D Dual Core
Vista Home Premium
2 Gb RAM
Sound Blaster XFi Xtreme Music
256 Mb nvidia GeForce 6800

Xtrailer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone else besides me like VIsta?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone else besides me like VIsta?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista
by Urkel. / March 4, 2007 11:35 PM PST

Actually, after running both Beta 2 and RC-1 I do like windows Vista. That said however, after numerous driver problems and there being several drivers that are still in Beta and the fact that several third party Anti-Virus programs will not be released for Vista until the end of March at the earliest...I'll be waiting until after SP-1 is released.

Collapse -
I do!!!
by iluvmiputer / March 5, 2007 10:59 AM PST

I like it too! I just bought a new Dell XPS410 w/Vista on Feb. 12th and when I did I knew with Vista just being released there would be some issues, but it was time for me to replace my computer and I certainly was not going to have an OLD operating system installed!

One the the Techs at Dell told me to use the Program Compatibilty Wizard when installing my apps and it has helped a lot.

I think all of the hardware and software people knew that they needed to be ready for Vista, but they "dropped the ball". I have a WACOM Intuos 3 graphics tablet and before my computer arrived I had already gone to their site and downloaded the Vista compatible drivers. It was the easiest trasition. In my opinion, if WACOM could do it they all could! Epson had drivers for my printers but NOT for my 2450 scanner, which I paid about $400 for and that upsets me greatly! I had just purchased a $400 CraftRobo this past Oct. and they are not going to have drivers for it until July!!! That's rediculous!

One of the features I really like with Vista is the Windows Photo Gallery. I was going to purchase ACDsee to organize my graphics files but they aren't compatible yet, so I started using the Win Photo Gallery and I love it....don't need to purchase ACDsee now!!!

I say give MS a break....it's the others that have "dropped to ball"!!!

Collapse -
i agree with iluvmiputer
by benjiko / March 5, 2007 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: I do!!!

i have a couple of problems of course, but it's the other software's fault for not making it compatable on time, most notably ITunes (when apple said specifically "do not upgrade to vista until we have the update ready". when my dad heard that he just said "screw them" and he's thinking of getting a diff mp3 player even though he still has a pod) and it's gonna take some time to get used to a few things but one thing i like about it is that you can still have the old-fashoned theme of the straight-edge boxes and such if you're just one of those people that don't like a drastic change at once.

i enjoy the few days i've had with vista, i just gotta upgrade my video card and get more memory (1 gig mem and a shared vid card, recommended 2 gig at least and i really don't liked shared vids). now to try to get in contact with circuit city about me not getting the harddrive space i paid for...

Collapse -
I like Vista
by deeppolverizingkidd / March 6, 2007 3:20 PM PST

I've brought a new computer with vista pre-installed. I've been using vista for a couple of weeks now and it's going great. I haven't ran into any problems yet. My printer works fine because of the driver from the hp site. Everything seems to install fine. I got a couple of program and games to install and work without any problems. I agree with pmgf39 about the "wow" factor. To me, Vista is just a new OS with some new stuff. Not that different from XP.

I can't wait for service pack 1 to be release. It'll probably help increase the performance, security, and other stuff. As of now, it's all good.

Collapse -
Vista is way better than XP
by devansj / March 7, 2007 2:24 PM PST

I have used vista on my home pc and I like it very much..I am not using old printers - programs ect... and I think that is why i am having a pleasent time installing and using vista... Just My 2 cents

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.