Samsung forum

General discussion

Anynet question on settings... help please!!!!!

by johnv41 / November 28, 2009 9:58 PM PST

I have a ln46b750 which is hooked up to a Samsung DVD player (and is Anynet compatible) through a HDMI cable. When I put in a DVD it correctly and automatically switches to the proper DVD source and starts playing the DVD.

My problem comes in when I power down the DVD player. The TV will recognize this and state that it is exiting the Anynet system, but instead of switching the sources back to the cable broadcast (also hooked up with HDMI cables) it will revert to the standard "TV" source which I am assuming is the coaxial cable analog hook up.

How do I get it to revert to the HDMI connected broadcast cable source instead of seeing snow from the unconnected analog source.

This would not be a big problem and I probably would not be seeking your aid in this, but my wife's elderly grandparents are sweet enough to babysit our toddler for us while we are off at our jobs teaching and they are sad because they are unable to navigate from the DVD to the TV for our little one.

I am hoping there is a way to accomplish this. Thank you in advance!

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anynet question on settings... help please!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anynet question on settings... help please!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anynet question on settings... help please!!!!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2009 6:34 AM PST

johnv41,

When the Anynet+ connection is terminated, the source is defaulted to the tuner because that's the "always on" input. Even though nothing might be hooked up to the tuner physically, it's the one connection that the television will know is available.

There are several forum members who would agree that choosing a different HDMI port, for example, would be a convenient option. I do know that we're looking into the possibility - as this has been brought up before, however, until anything happens, that's what is happening and why.

The only way I know to get back to the menu is through the input selection in the menu.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by johnv41 / December 4, 2009 1:38 AM PST

Thank you very much for your response. I will be checking back from time to time to see if there is a future solution for this issue.

I don't know if this is possible, but if the techs at Samsung do come up with a solution to this, it would be great if it was included in a downloadable update which will automatically recognize the port that is being used for the cable system and revert to that by default.

Easy for me to say considering I have zero knowledge in program writing of this level 9)

Have a great Holiday Season!

John

Collapse -
Thank you
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 6, 2009 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

johnv41,

I'll let them know, as it has been brought up a few times by other users. I don't know if this is something that can be addressed by the firmware, but if there's an update, I'll see that it gets announced on the forum and in the firmware update notes.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Agreed
by dale316 / March 1, 2011 9:37 AM PST

Has this been addressed yet? This would be such a nice feature - the current behavior is very annoying.

Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by GeoffSri / March 2, 2011 9:35 PM PST
In reply to: Agreed

Could you please talk to your programming folks and have them write an update for the firmware for the user to change the default source from the tuner to whatever the user chooses.
Thank You

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2011 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung_HD_Tech

GeoffSri,

I've requested this in the past, however with the way the television is designed it may not be possible. The TV needs a default "always on" input, and the tuner fits the bill.

I understand that this is not the answer that everybody wants to hear, but it's the best information I have at the moment.

I'll be happy to pass her concerns up to the appropriate department to see if we can get some attention on this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Anynet switching source to TV - same question again
by zhekaK / April 6, 2011 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung_HD_Tech

Hi, I know that lots of people already asked you about this behavior and no resolution was available for it.
But I want to re-iterate how much frustration it causes to a user every time TV switches source to not existent TV source.
In my case I have a cable box connected to receiver and the receiver connected to the tv.
I turn on the cable box, receiver, and then my TV. I see a broadcast for a few seconds and then TV switches to the default source. The tv also switches the receiver's source to TV (using Anynet). What makes it worse, it does it more than one time, and so I have to switch my receiver to cable box source several times to overcome this behavior.

I know that a solution to this issue would be to disable Anynet between my TV and receiver all together. But for me it is necessary because I would not have a return channel support for listening to TV (internet) programs through my receiver if I disable Anynet feature.

With this terrible feature in place and resistance of Samsung team to provide a solution to thousands of users complaining about it, I can not recommend any of Samsung TVs to my friends and rank my TV above 3 stars on any of the review sites.

I hope that your engineering team would be able to come up with a patch that would allow disabling TV source switching or provide customers with some other resolution to this annoying feature.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?