HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Anybody with any LCD knowledge ... please HELP!!!

by paquets14 / November 19, 2006 2:21 PM PST

I've already written a post... but I cannot believe nobody has any suggestions...

The holiday season is fast approaching and I am looking for a 46" LCD, however the Sony XBR2 or 3 isn't an option (which I believe throughout my research to be the best). Can anyone please give me any sort of recommendations and/or suggestions towards another 46" (or there abouts...preferably 1080p)LCD??? Samsung? Sharp? JVC? Anything else I should be looking at???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for your help!
P14

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anybody with any LCD knowledge ... please HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anybody with any LCD knowledge ... please HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe tell ...
by Kees Bakker / November 19, 2006 7:06 PM PST

why the Sony isn't an option for you? And why these other makes might be?

Did you find reviews about these TV's yet? What did they tell you? What aspects do you find important in a TV?

Kees

Collapse -
What is your budget???
by jcrobso / November 19, 2006 11:25 PM PST

It's very hard to make suggestions without knowing your budget. John

Collapse -
budget and reasoning
by paquets14 / November 20, 2006 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: What is your budget???

Alright - I'm looking for a tv within the range of about $2500 - 3500. As of right now - my wife is dead set against the Sony XBRs because of the glass bezel around the outside - she thinks it's hideous. She pretty much said anything else... but of course, as far as 46" LCDs go - that seems to be the best.]

I was also looking at the Sony kdl46v2500... but I have like $1000 in gift certificates to Best Buy... and for whatever reason... they don't sell that model. Any suggestions would be awesome!!!

Thanks Again!

Collapse -
check out the sharps
by masterying01 / November 20, 2006 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: budget and reasoning

specifically, LC46d62u. $2500 1080p 46" lcd. regular price at bby is $3000. awesome reviews. and very good tv for the price. add that to 2 years no interest, and if you can find a 10% off coupon...you'll get yourself a good deal.

Collapse -
XBR3 at Magnolia
by jlarosa / November 20, 2006 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: budget and reasoning

I responded to a previous post that you had. At that time I told you I had a Sony KDL-46V2500 on order from a local appliance store. Well, I think the V2500 is a great TV but the more I thought about it and read the specs I convinced myself that I wanted the XBR. So I cancelled the order fr the 46" V2500 with the appliance store and went back to Magnolia (MHT) (King of Prussia, PA) and looked at the XBR3. I also did not care for the floating glass and silver look of the XBR2. But I think the floating glass with the Black bezel of the XBR3 is ok.

I have a Salamander Design media center on order at MHT and paid for the install of that plus the TV that I purchased. I added the 46" XBR3 to my order. They do not have it in stock but it is due in on 12/13. I still do not understand why Best Buy does not carry the 46" V2500 but at this point I am excited about getting the XBR3. I blew my budget by going with the XBR3 but I wanted to get a TV that I can be happy with and have for many years.

Regarding HDMI cables from BB you are probably referring to the Monster cables. Yes, the prices are high. I purchased a Monster HDMI cable (M1000) 4'. It is a $170. I will probably return it. I wanted to see what a cable at that price looked like. I also purchased a 6' HDMI cable (# 2219) from Monoprice.com for about $23 with shipping. The quality looks good. I want to try both cables to see the difference.

Collapse -
DO YOU HAVE A PARTICULAR AVERSION TO PLASMAS???
by Riverledge / November 20, 2006 4:34 AM PST

A BIT BIGGER at 50" (but without the "hideous" bezel,)PANASONIC has two models that fit the budget TH-50PX60U and the fancier TH-50PX600U.
Also available in 42" models.

Personally, I think the SONYs are attractive, oh well.

see http://www.sonystyle.com/

Collapse -
1080p??
by paquets14 / November 20, 2006 10:53 AM PST

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still working on my wife with the whole Sony thing - but I went to BB today and they don't even have the XBR3 available for order(or so the saleman said... though their website says otherwise - I didn't feel like arguing the fact since I'm not even sure if I can get it).

As for the Samsung - would you go with model mentioned above? Or do you think the LN-S4696D is better?

As for the panasonic... do you think 1080p is a better bet at this time? I'm sure I won't be getting this chance again for sometime... and I'd like to get as much technology as possible.

Again - I appreciate all of the input!!

Collapse -
Samsung - Sharp
by paquets14 / November 20, 2006 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: 1080p??

Sorry - I wasn't very clear as to why I'm not too sure about the LC46D62U.. as far as I have read on CNET - the television has "banding" issues. I'm honestly not sure how much this would effect my viewing... but it definitely scares me some. And when I was talking to people at BB (not that they know everything)they tend to lean towards Sony and Samsung.

Thanks - just thought I should clarify!

Collapse -
Offended!
by Pakman3000 / November 20, 2006 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung - Sharp

Hey, I work at Best Buy! LOL.

Collapse -
My recommendation
by Pakman3000 / November 20, 2006 11:08 AM PST

I have and I'd go with Samsung. The S4696 has a Cablecard while the 4695 doesn't if that helps. Samsungs do 1080p over component as well. I'm loving the 1080p 360 update! The Sharp 46D62U is amazing, but I didn't want to take a chance on banding. I'm not spewing info from AVS. We had to send back our 42" and 46" back because of these defects. That might be fixed now. The Sharps have no VGA but do 1:1 pixel mapping for PC users. Hope this helped. Some people love DLP/Plasma but I loved LCD and all my research has been for LCDs. I was in the same boat you were in 2 weeks ago.

Collapse -
to clarify
by masterying01 / November 20, 2006 12:41 PM PST

www.bestbuy.com lists both magnolia products and regular best buy products. the xbr3 is only available to magnolia best buy stores. regular best buy stores CAN get it into their stores, but they are not allowed to sell them to you. the only way for a NON-MAGNOLIA best buy store to sell you the xbr3 is to scam our own system and do it as a best buy for business transaction.

Collapse -
Anybody with any LCD knowledge...please HELP!!!
by jaybme82 / November 20, 2006 12:11 PM PST

My advice would be:

1) Donot buy any HD product unless it has HDMI 1.3, because otherwise
you will be wasting a lot of money buying in my opinion and
obsolete TV!

2) Are you sure that you are talking about the Sony TV, or have you
got it mixed-up with the best Philips TV, which is probably about
half way between 720p and 1080p?

3) If you want to ignore my advice in 1) above then at your own risk
A) There is a simple method to solve your problem:
B) You should be able to buy a bezel (frame), which converts the
TV into a picture.
C) I think that you would have to buy the 1080p Sony XBR2(USA),
which in England would be the, 'X' range, but verify with Sony.
D) Then you can ask your wife, which colour would she like out of
the range of colours.

Below, is a copy of an article about the Sony KDL-40W2000 (UK) similar to the Sony KDL-40V2500 (USA), which you can show to your wife, because the purpose of a TV is how good its picture quality is and not how pretty it looks.

http://www.products.sony.co.uk/pdfs/KDL40W2000_WHF_supertest_winner.pdf

Since, I think that the Sony is arguably the best TV in the 40"-42" range of TVs, and I am assumining that the larger versions of the Sony 1080p TVs would be as equally as good, it is impossible for me to recommend any other TV.

This is, because I wouldn't buy anything else at this moment in time if for example my TV broke down - I would probably buy a
Sony KDL-40W2000 (UK) similar to Sony KDL-40V2500 (USA), I think.

NB! As already stated that you should only be buying 1080p and HDMI
1.3 HD products !!!

NB! Below I have just copied a message, which I sent to somebody else, which might be useful.

http://forums.cnet.com/5224-7596_102-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=219278&messageID=2326981

SUBJECT: HDMI? 1.0 to 1.3

You are extremely lucky!

I was just on my way-out, but trying to find a forum, which I posted a message on, when I found your request for more knowledge about HDMI 1.3.

I shall store this website URL page onto my desktop, until I get back.

But, take my word for it, somebody who knows about HDMI 1.3 who then buys HDMI 1.3 is a complete idiot!

I shall continue and provide proof when I get back.

NB! This must be your lucky day!

I shall get back to replying to your message.

The experts say that to maximise the benefit of High Definition (HD) TV that the TV should be at least 40" and I am sure that it is at least 99% correct.

It probably has something to do with how far you have to watch the TV based on its size.

I wouldn't buy a TV unless it has 1920x1080p resolution.

For example I am sure that the film studios and probably broadcasting will be using 1920x1080p cameras, which means why pay more money to convert 1080p to 1080i to give an inferior picture quality and have to switch backwards and forwards when a fast moving object for example a fast enough moving car appears on the TV etcetera.

It has been stated that HD is more expensive than normal standard definition TV (SD) picture, but I don't think any person has asked the commonsense question why convert a 1080p signal to a 1080i signal, which is more expensive and creates an inferior picture etcetera.

I haven't seen the Samsung HD CRT TV, because I don't think that it is available in the UK yet.

I don't have much faith in the reviews on the website, which you gave:

1) Impossible virtually for it to get 5/5 for picture or sound
because I am sure that more expensive Samsung HD TVs are not
perfect for picture and sound.
A) For example for sound, the following should be better; 5.1,
6.1, 7.1, Prologic II, Prologic IIx, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby
Digital Plus, and DTS-HD.
B) It is obvious that the reviewers have not compared the Samsung
27" Slim Fit HDTV (TXS2782H) with for example; Sony 1080p TVs,
the best; Pioneer TVs, Panasonic, and the Philips HD TVs.

I shall now discuss the HDMI: 1.1, 2.0, 2.0a and 1.3.

You should be extremely concerned if you buy any HD product, which does not have HDMI 1.3.

1) I have heard of HDMI sockets or plugs falling off HD products.
A) Unfortunately, it would take too long to find out where I read
that information from and supply it to you.
B) BUT! The HDMI 1.3 is going to be a different shape, which is
probably to solve the problem of HDMI falling off HD products.
c) The picture quality should be substantially be improved.
1: At the moment the colour is capped causing banding and poor
picture quality.
A: Instead of displaying millions of colours
B: HDMI 1.3 will enable Billions of colours
C: A Billion is one hundred million
1* Increase of 100 times.
2* Not just double but 100 times!
2: High Definition Digital Sound
A: Dolby Digital Plus
B: Dolby TrueHD
C: DTS-HD
3: Future compatibility with PC and Media system (wireless)
4: HDCP appears to be extremely unreliable, which probably an
HDMI 1.3 should solve.
5: Whether or not there are problems with AACS (encryption used
by film studios) HDMI 1.3 should reduce problems and
for example improve picture quality.
6: HDMI 1.3 should be backward compatibility
A: I shall believe it when I see it for example
B: Sony creating a BLU-RAY Computer, which probably cannot
play HD films, and cannot play MPEG 4 DVDs.
C: The HDMI 1.1, 2.0, 2.0a are not forward compatible to
HDMI 1.3 HD products.
D: There is a saying that it is impossible to fit a square
peg into a round hole I think it is
E: I am at least 99% certain that the new shape and version
of HDMI 1.3 will replace the HDMI: 1.1, 2.0, and 2.0a.
This means that the existing HDMI: 1.1, 2.0 and 2.0a HD
products are already virtually obsolete.
F: I also think that the reason why they are marketing the
HDMI 1.3 now instead of probably a few years time, is
because people like me are not being con by the
propaganda being given out by the establishment, which
includes some editors.
G: For example too many HD TVs provide a dreadful picture
quality (Shimmering, Artefacts, and Banding etcetera) in
Standard Definition and HD mode.
H: One reason for the poor picture quality is that the
picture has been capped (limited) unnecessarily.
I: Some people are going to say but
J: For example the Sony 1080p TVs are excellent but I would
say that HDMI 1.3 would take us a step near to 3D TV.
K: Before I forget, there is not just one new HDMI 1.3
L: But there will be two new ones.
1* The main one with a new shape
2* A mini one for cameras etcetera, which don't exist on
present HD products apart for maybe Sony?s PSP3 game
controller (late 2006).
3* The new HD products with HDMI 1.3 should be available
in early 2007.
4* I cannot see manufacturers who are taking shortcuts
using both existing HDMI sockets and HDMI 1.3
A* HDMI 1.3 is actually and literally should be
completely a different shape from the present HDMIs
5* Therefore, in my opinion people have been ripped off
by the establishment including some editors who
should know better!
6* Philips have created a chip - cost U$ 0.97 (think).

2) Hopefully, there should be a new HD TV called a Laser TV and LCOS.
A: LCOS is probably already in production.
B: SED:
c: Laser TV probably only one prototype has been demonstrated in
public and that was by Mitsubishi.
D: Nanotube - Combine CRT and LCD technology.
3) Therefore, I think that:-
A) DLP will probably replace plasma.
B) SED will be superior to LCD.
C) Laser will replace LCD & plasma if claims have not been hyped
1: But LCD would have to fight back with lower prices and 1080p.
D) Experts have been claiming that HD TV prices will be rising
But I think the only direction for HD prices is down relatively
speaking.

NB! Before I forget again, I shall include some websites, which maybe
useful - Independent proof.

http://hdmi.org/about/faq.asp

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/articles-author.php?id=16

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060801.asp

http://www.mitsubishielectric-usa.com/news/2006/Mitsubishi%20demonstrates%20laser%20HDTV.htm

http://www.gadgetspy.co.uk/2006/04/03/laser-powered-flat-screen-tv

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20556847-2,00.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20930

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1979393,00.asp

http://www.i4u.com/article5297.html

Collapse -
Wow! but....
by paquets14 / November 20, 2006 1:56 PM PST

Now that's a lot of info... but don't you think that technology is always improving and that things will always be "obsolete?"

Hey Best Buy Guy - didn't mean to offend! And thanks for the input! Also - if you get a chance to answer another question - does it matter if your HDMI cables are expensive?? Or do cheap ones work just as good?

Waiting for HDMI 1.3 may not be in my best interest.
I'm thinking if I don't jump on this opportunity now, I may be not get it again (planning on having children within the next year - and once that happens... I've got no shot!).

Anyway - I recently read an article from Consumer Ceports:

HDMI: the new jack on the box (September 2006)

Look for one or two HDMI inputs. Most new TVs have one HDMI input; some have two, which gives you more connectivity options for devices such as DVD players and cable boxes, which increasingly have HDMI outputs. HDMI version 1.3 is expected soon. It's designed to support multichannel audio (with lossless compression) and more accurate color--nice touches but not worth waiting for. Like other inputs, HDMI requires a specific cable. Don't pay hundreds of dollars for "premium-grade" cables, though. Inexpensive cables at Best Buy, RadioShack, and other stores should be fine, and they cost less. A 6-foot cable is adequate for most setups and won't leave a tangle of extra wiring.

Collapse -
Anybody with LCD knowledge... please Help!!!
by jaybme82 / November 20, 2006 1:39 PM PST

Continuation, because another simple solution is to buy the TV at a much cheaper place than Best Buy, which appears to be too expensive!

http://www.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/vision/tv/703934/pricesyou are talking you could buy the Sony

Another website to look at Sony KDL-46V2500:-
http://bizrate.lycos.com/televisiontv/sony-bravia-kdl-46v2500-46-in-lcd-tv--pid494364567/

Another website to look at Sony KDL-46XBR2:
http://bizrate.lycos.com/televisiontv/sony-bravia-kdl-46xbr2-46-in-lcd-tv--pid494359943/compareprices__sfsk--5.html

Another website to look at Sony KDL-46XBR2 (Interesting Best Buy probably the most expensive!):
http://www.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/vision/tv/669006/prices?other_hits=%3B%3B25%3B&q=sony+kdl-46xbr2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.