Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anybody watching the Olympics

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anybody watching the Olympics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anybody watching the Olympics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gymnastics, my favorite also

In reply to: Anybody watching the Olympics

Collapse -
Re: Anybody watching the Olympics

I stayed up till after 4AM this last night/morning to watch the rerun of Fridays opening. Always tried to catch the opening of past Olympics. Greece did a spectular and amazing job for the opening. WOW! the floats with Greek history using humans with slight movements looking like stone art.... they must have had 1000 make-up artists just to get them ready. And what a modern arena they built with the center water (lake) that can be transposed. That gal in charge (nice looking BTW) deserves great credit.

JR
PS...they spoke a lot of English, but some of the language was 'Greek' to me.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Anybody watching the Olympics

John, you're so right. it is spectacular. And the stone art to recreate statues was extraordinary. I'm like you, once it starts I get into it. The only thing I don't like is the professional athletes now participating. But that's just me, I guess.

Collapse -

Agree, the pros should stay out. Now, I understand some of the foreign pro players who play on some of our US professional teams, will be playing at the Olympics representing their native country that is not the USA.

Did you see the large Japanese delegation all with great smiles and spot the white haired Gringo in the crowd. The camera zoomed in and said he was an American coaching the Japanese basketball team.
Happy

Collapse -

Problem with that is, MaryKay, that it used to be so strict that you could not get any payments and be in it. There is a young lady who competed last night for the US on the gymnastics team. She's the team leader in fact, I think. She missed two or more Olympics for various reasons, even though she had trained, and this time she really, really wanted to make it there. She was working as a waitress to be able to support herself to make it there, and she was so short on money, that she apparently was eating Powerbars only some days. Then Pamela Lee Anderson heard about her and sent her a check for around $20,000 to help out.

It costs a lot of money to be in the AAU (Amaeur Athletics Union), which is the pre-Olympics competition and training group. The cost makes it so that some very worthy people cannot make it unless they get help.

Besides, isn't it nice sometimes to see some older folks competing who still are in top form and have obviously not let the aging process stop them from being in wonderful shape? Wink

Collapse -

I'd like to see them change the rules so that you have to be 18 to compete in many of these big events.

Dan

Collapse -

Hi Diane, Sorry I didn't answer sooner but after i posted in here last time I had a heart attack that more frightened than injured me. First one so I ofcourse didn't respond quickly. I am lucky. I'm OK and on medication. but I just meant these people like the dream team etc.

Collapse -
Seriously? A heart attack?

Mary Kay!

I'm sorry to hear this. I assume you're doing well, sinc e you're posting and all? What happened, may I ask?

Sending prayers,
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Re: Seriously? A heart attack?

In reply to: Seriously? A heart attack?

Well actually, I thought I had indigestion until the pain got unbearable and I called for help. I was fortunate in that little damage was done. What an eye opener though. I didn't have any warning signs, my cholesterol is in the good range. Im' about 7 lbs overweight but I didn't think that was a problem. I think I was not getting enough exercise. I tiik more test yesterday and we'll see what comes of that.

Collapse -
Crikey ...

In reply to: Re: Seriously? A heart attack?

Dear Mary Kay

Most folks have a cup of cocoa whilst watching the Olympics, and you have a heart attack! Now there's one-up-manship... Seriously though, it knocked me for six when I read this in Marcia's other thread and am just very glad that it was a warning shot across the bows this time. I hope your tests come out good and I guess you will come away with a list of instructions to follow. The worst of it is that an attack alert is enough to give you a heart attack in and of itself, so hopefully you will be forewarned as to symptoms now.

This ramble is really just to say that I'm obviously delighted that you've come through it OK and I will of course keep you in my thoughts.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Thanks Mo and i will pay better attention. thanks

In reply to: Crikey ...

Collapse -
Re: Seriously? A heart attack?

In reply to: Re: Seriously? A heart attack?

Hi MaryKay,

Keep us posted on those test results, eh? You know how we SE'ers like to "mother" each other. Happy Prayers sent!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Are you taking an aspirin a day?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Anybody see coverage of Kim Rhode's gold?

Collapse -
I sure did!

In reply to: (NT) Anybody see coverage of Kim Rhode's gold?

Collapse -
Argh! How'd I miss it?

In reply to: I sure did!

Do you remember what time and station it was on?

Thanks - Mark

P.S. Thanks for the welcome in the other thread, too.

Collapse -
I could only watch for a little bit...

after I while I the anouncers for those doing the Gymnasts and the synconized diving would get me so mad that I had to leave the room.
Where do they find those guy's?
-Towers

Collapse -
It really was worth seeing though ...

In reply to: I could only watch for a little bit...

Dear Towers (should we call you Towers? your name perhaps?)

Good to receive your posts here. I'm in the UK and we get CNN, confirming your earlier post.

I get your point about the commentators on the synchronised diving, nit-picking I would say. I mean, heck, there are two divers of totally different height/weight who are expected to enter the water at exactly the same time - crikey, doing a "belly-flop" from that height would deserve a medal in my opinion.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Paul Hamm's incredible win last night

For All-Around individual.....

I had heard on the local news earlier in the day that he pulled off the near impossible feat of winning the gold after literally falling onto the floor in front of the judges' table after touchdown on the vault. He had two events to complete after that and nobody, including Hamm, believed he had a chance in hell to get even the Bronze.

Unfortunately, I saw the second last event by him on the parallel bars (spectacular) and fell asleep for a ten minute power nap and woke up to cheers on the TV as he completed the last event and became aware that he had won the Gold. I was thoroughly ticked off that I had missed seeing it unfold for him.

The ability to shake off incredible disappointment after his fall, assuming as he recovered mentally for the next event that he had lost everything, was amazing to say the least. I don't know how these kids acquire that kind of depth to put it behind them so quickly and utterly that they can go on and stay so focused as to put everything else into the background and continue with 'business as usual'. Defeat experienced because somebody was better at something than you are is one thing....defeat because you gave up is something else entirely, and I don't think any of the spectators or athletes could believe what they watched last night with Hamm's performance. What a class act.........I'm envious.

I would be feeling the same way no matter what country that man was representing. I saw the camera flash to his twin brother on the sidelines and he was almost insane with happiness for his brother. What a joy to watch.......

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Paul Hamm's incredible win last night

In reply to: Paul Hamm's incredible win last night

Hi Toni,

I knew ahead of time too. We were both wicked tired last night and after the fall on vault the hubby was ready for bed. Somehow he didn't pick up on my hints as to why I wanted to keep watching. I began to question if I had heard right earlier in the day because of the Women's 800m Relay. I hadn't heard about their record (oldest swimming record still on the books) breaking win and thought to myself for sure that would make the news too! But then when they said he had fallen to 12th I remembered the report. We stayed up to watch.

Given that this is pre-recorded, you would think that rather than running the Men's 100m Freestyle earlier in the night, where there were no Americans, they would have had this on earlier Sad I don't know what kind of ratings NBC is pulling down, but at least have one of the biggest Olympic moments (American at that) on before 11pm EST!!!

I am in awe. He also has an injured shoulder. Sheesh, I once had to have my brother pick me up at work when my shoulder was bothering me because I couldn't handle my stick shift. And this guy went out and nailed everything but one vault! Good for him.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Something I've found rather curious

In reply to: Re: Paul Hamm's incredible win last night

as I've watched the Olympics over the years (especially the summer ones) and perhaps Doctor Bill can comment on this for me....

I'm surprised when the 'muscle bound' men athletes are interviewed how many of them have high pitched voices. I always expect to hear a thunder type voice such as Arnold or Lou Ferigno's because you (I) somehow relate a low pitched voice to go with the body, and I nearly flinch with the actual results.

I realize that this has nothing to do with physique, but wonder how many of these guys get into body building of some type early in life because they have been made fun of as kids? I get this mental picture of the old Atlas commercials/ads in comic books of the skinny kid getting sand kicked all over them and wonder if this might be an unconscious choice as compensation to excel in something physical that can be seen by others rather than geeky/nerdy things like brains (not saying they don't have the brains to go along with it, so don't misconstrue please).

In any event, all seem to be extremely talented in those choices and their mental well-being/discipline is enviable.

TONI

Collapse -
Interesting observation ...

In reply to: Something I've found rather curious

Toni:
I have no clue why there would be a pattern related to voice pitch. I suppose your hypothesis is as good as any.
I remember the advertisements you mentioned, but I never had the perseverance to actually achieve any results in my attempts at body building. I admit that I did try that route because I was teased. Realistically, though, I think most of the teasing I received was motivated more by the fact that I'm a klutz rather than my slender build. Even if I'd been successful at bulking up it would not have made much difference. I would have ended up a stronger klutz, but still a klutz.

Collapse -
Re: it's to do with steroids

In reply to: Something I've found rather curious

it messes up the testro/ostro thingummy...

Collapse -
Maybe, but I'm not sure ...

In reply to: Re: it's to do with steroids

I haven't seen any specific references to voice change in male athletes using anabolic steroids, but when female athletes use them they usually experience some enlargement of the larynx that produces a lower pitched voice. That would be opposite of the direction Toni has noticed in the male athletes.

Collapse -
Re: as the wise man 'might' say

In reply to: Maybe, but I'm not sure ...

women go down
men go up

*octaves and pitch that is Wink*

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just talking 'bout pitch? ... riiiight

In reply to: Re: as the wise man 'might' say

Collapse -

In reply to: Paul Hamm's incredible win last night

Hi, Toni.

It was a terrific routine -- wish he'd matched it two nights earlier, when it would have won us the gold all-around, though. That time he didn't do the third release move, and got three-tenths less. Not a "mistake" since he didn't try it, but it took away some bonus points. I felt a bit sorry for the #2 (Korean) guy, who felt sure he'd won. Didn't feel sorry at all for the Rumanian (#3), as his high bar score was at least two-tenths two high, and I thought the other American (McClure) was under-scored on the still rings by about the same amount, which cost him about three spots (should have been 5th, not 8th).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

Since I'm spouting off on making the Olympics better, I'd eliminate all the events that require subjective judging. Every single year, and almost every day of the competition, there are complaints about this judge messing up, or that athlete getting jobbed. At least it's not as bad as in skating (those judges are just bad people).

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Subjective judging

Hi, Dan.

I agree subjective judging can be a problem, but doing as you say would remove all the artistry from the Olympics. You'd pretty much be left with swimming and track & field -- and there's even some subjectivity there, as the controversy in the 200 fly showed last night. Furthermore, the sports with subjective judging are the most popular with TV viewers, so the overall impact on the games and their visibility could easily be catastrophic.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Yes and no.

In reply to: Re: Subjective judging

It would not remove all artistry, it would just remove the artificially imposed attempts at artistry. Many of the sports at the Olympics have a beauty and artistry of their own. It flows from the athletes without a thought. Having a little girl go through an amazing tumbling routine and then have to wave her arms and wiggle her fingers to feign grace is not only insulting to her abilities, it is also more than a little bit peculiar.

Each event has it's own difficulties with officials. The judged events are the only ones where the officials pick the winner rather than just interpret the rules.

NBC puts a ton of effort and resources into hyping and covering the 'beauty pageant' events. If they put that effort into the sports events it would be fascinating to see what interest developed.

Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.