Cameras forum

General discussion

Anybody used camerasandparts.com for repairs?

by LAtenc / October 14, 2009 5:05 PM PDT

camerasandparts.com sounds like a pretty good place to repair my canon, but where can I go to check reviews etc to see how they are rated by customers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anybody used camerasandparts.com for repairs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anybody used camerasandparts.com for repairs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Repairs
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

I could find no reviews of the company or website.

You didn't mention what type of failure you have or the camera model you have.
But they only work on certain types of failures and only work on a very narrow portion of the Canon line of cameras:

SD models, the old S models and some G models.

Their prices are all near $100 per repair.
You might want to get a repair quote from Canon also.

Collapse -
A slow start, but came through in the end
by ohicks / May 11, 2010 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Repairs

After over-coming a communication break down, camerasandparts.com did complete my canon g9 lens replacement on time and with courteous service. I had my doubts after reading this post myself, but after finally getting through to them, they did everything they could to make the repair go as fast as possible and the camera returned to me in time for my 10th anniversary vacation.

Collapse -
Amazing Place but they only do Canon's!
by Anthony7431 / October 15, 2009 7:25 PM PDT

We've used that site twice now, once for an SD870 lens problem and once for a cracked screen on an SD1000. That site is amazing but they only do Canon's. I work for a college and all of our cameras go there for service and repair when they get broken or just need service. The cameras come back completely perfect and they only use the real Canon parts and the parts they install are brand new. In other words, if you have a lens error problem, they install the new canon lens part and they service everything on the camera. The director from the college where I work recommended that site to me since our college gets a lot of work done through them. I sent them my SD870 first and I was totally impressed. They put a new canon lens in the camera and serviced the camera all up, the camera came back like new, totally impressive. I also sent them an sd1000 that had a broken display, it came back perfect and they even put a new battery door cover on it since mine was a little cracked and loose. I didn't even ask for that, they just did it at no charge. I'm not sure if they mention it but their repairs also come with the full service for the camera, they'll even flash the camera with the better firmware if updates are out for your camera. I recommend them highly but only if you have a Canon, I don't think they'll work on any other models but you can ask. Best of luck with yours, that's the best place for these Canon's.

Collapse -
Shill?
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 7:36 PM PDT

Buyer, beware.

When we see (like in this case) a new member mentioning or asking about some site, and another new member giving such a positive review as this within hours or days, we always suspect a case of shilling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

If they have to rely on practices like that, apparently they need it because regular marketing doesn't work for them. Not a good sign!

Kees

Collapse -
???
by Anthony7431 / October 15, 2009 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Shill?

I don't know the person who asked the question??? I found this thread in a google search. I was merely trying to help someone since I've dealt with that site. I'm new here and didn't want to get bashed for helping someone with a question. I googled and just found a reviewer who's a PRO on flickr, there's a review near the bottom of that thread just posted 5 weeks ago from a PRO, maybe that's more credible:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/623510@N23/discuss/72157617324665864/

I guess I don't care if this person gets their camera fixed at that site or not, I was merely trying to share a positive experience with someone who asked about them. I was only trying to help. I'm new to this and that was poor response you left me when I was just trying to help.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: ???

I said "we suspect". I didn't say "we know" or "we can prove".

But it really happens. Just 2 days ago we had a case where a $30 program to keep your computer clean (an alternative to better known programs like windows washer and free ccleaner) was being promoted like that. It was beyond doubt that this was a setup arrangement between the original poster and some conspirators.

But glad to read that you're sincere.

Still I wonder what was your google search? I can hardly imagine you spend your days searching for hits on companies you've got good experiences with, nor that you were looking for alternative supplier of canon repairs (since you're so positive about this company) and I can't find any other thing in the original post that would make it appear high enough in a google search to be easily found.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for responding back :)
by Anthony7431 / October 15, 2009 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

Hello. I'm sorry I got upset with you in the last post. While I completely understand where you're coming from and I can definately see how something like that would be possible, I can assure you I don't know the person who posted the question. Again, I do see where you're coming from and I guess I didn't look at it like that, I was new at this and I really just got upset as I thought you were attacking me for being new here. I really haven't blogged before or anything like this, someone suggested it to me so I thought to give it a shot. To answer your question, I just got back a second camera that I had repaired at that site. I was so impressed with the way they treated me that when I spoke with a manager there, I told him I would share my experience on a blog thinking that it would be helpful. I was on google so I did a search for: camerasandparts which is the name of that place. The following popped up in my search results:

Anybody used camerasandparts.com for repairs? - CNET Digital ...
1 post - 1 author - Last post: 22 hours agoDigital cameras: Anybody used camerasandparts.com for repairs? - Get tips and advice on this topic, or read other Digital cameras ...
forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?threadID... - 22 hours ago

Anyway, I don't know the person that posted this, I really just thought it was a good place to respond and post a comment. I guess it's good to make people aware of stuff like that but the truth is, it was more of a coincidence. Anyway, that place really goes the extra mile and I was simply trying to do the right thing by recommending someone there since I was as happy as I was with them. Either way, I got upset when I first read your response but I sincerely thank you for replying again. I see your point but it was nothing more than a coincidence, I'm sorry for getting upset and responding as I did.

Collapse -
(NT) No problem.
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 8:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not much to go on
by LAtenc / October 18, 2009 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem.

Well I am sorry to see that I haven't gotten more than one response to my query from someone who has had repairs from camerasandparts.com. I am not related to the other poster, Anthony7431, and I am aware that shilling can be done in more than one way. For instance, his responses are rather long and involved, just like the answer to my email to camerasandparts when I was asking for a repair estimate. Curious. As you said, caveat emptor. I will think more on it, and hope I get some more responses.

Collapse -
camerasandparts.com
by martinwaldorf / January 24, 2010 5:52 PM PST
In reply to: Not much to go on

I also used that site for my canon sd1200 powershot. They did very good for me. They were fast and nice to work with. Most of all, my camera is working just right again. Do I recommend them? Very Highly

Collapse -
camerasandpart.com
by paulw1973 / November 23, 2009 12:55 PM PST

STAY AWAY -- 3 Months ago I sent my G9 in for lense repair after reading reviews like the ones here. In the first month I received a eMail about progress (after I asked) then they said 2-3 days I would have it back -- that was TWO MONTHS AGO. Phone calls and eMails do not get returned. I don't know is this is a Internet Sham or not -- but I have lost my Camera and my money -- DO NOT GO HERE!!!

That's my experience. Paul

Collapse -
In Response;
by amydelson / January 9, 2010 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: camerasandpart.com

I read this post and perhaps I can share an experience. I had a powershot canon G9 that wouldn't turn on one day and I used that site. I will tell you that they are very good with these. Communication could have been better since I emailed once on a thursday and didn't hear back by email until monday, I thought the communication could have been better. The camera arrived back to me in about two weeks from when I sent it off. They really did a top-notch repair on mine, when it arrived back it was immaculate and working exactly as it should again. I think their communication could be better but as for their work, I was very happy and I would recommend them with confidence.

Collapse -
Another view.
by Kees Bakker / April 11, 2010 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: camerasandpart.com

Mailed by another member:

I ran across this thread. It had been locked so I cannot respond to it. However, your post regarding "shilling" of "camerasandparts.com" is absolutely true. This is exactly what they have been doing and I also got ripped off by them within the last 30 days. I am trying to post on every site they have "shilled" so no one else loses their money or their camera. They have a nice, innocent-looking website. When you try to check them out, you find all these positive postings, you send them your money for camera repairs, they instruct you to send your camera to Cameras and Parts, 1605 George Dieter, Suite 574, El Paso, Texas 79936 ... then you wait, and wait and wait. They generate automatic emails (via a Yahoo ecommerce storefront) ... and they are all identical ... they direct you to html pages that say delivery in 2 to 3 days, then later, 24 hours, then later back to 2 or 3 days ... they have a phone number to call (915) 226-8296 which is an answering machine tell you that they are all "busy assisting other customers" and to leave a detailed message and they'll get back to you. But the calls never come. Just letting you know you were right. camerasandparts.com is a total rip-off.

Collapse -
Cameras and Parts is a scam
by kjoseph2010 / May 27, 2010 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Another view.

My experience is EXACTLY like KeesBaker and Paulw1973 above.

paid to have my Canon Sd1100 fixed (no power) and sent it in with delivery confirmation as instructed.
After not getting my camera back in a month or so I emailed them for a status. My emails were OCCASIONALLY responded to with "thanks for your patience. WIll look into it and get back to you tomorrow with ETA" etc. but no one ever gets back to me. THen I try again and eventually get another BS reply.

I paid with Master Card via Pay Pal. Neither entity will allow me to dispute the payment because it is for "services" as opposed to "goods".

The forum moderator doesn't need to confirm what is going on here. CAMERAS AND PARTS IS A SCAM.

As a matter of principle I am going to contact every forum and agency I can to try to shut them down.

Hey Cameras and Parts, if you want to contact me here is my order number, you should be able to find my contact info in your files. I CHALLENGE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! order yhst-60076716426271-1270

Collapse -
Lost my camera too
by wantmycameraback / July 15, 2010 9:18 PM PDT

Stay away from Cameras and Parts.
Like Kjoseph2010 I too lost my camera and $$$. After repeated calls and emails I am giving up and will be contacting whatever agencies I can for help. It is not the cost of my camera that bothers me but the principle.

To take peoples money and cameras and then not even reply is aking ot stealing.

I would not recommend this company. Better off finding a local REPUTABLE service.

NOTE: I am not promoting any alternative service and have no hidden agenda except to help others avoid losing their money and camera as I did.

Collapse -
poor service
by kjoseph2010 / July 16, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Lost my camera too

Hi 'wantmycameraback',

I gave up trying to work with these guys and waiting for them to follow through on empty promises.

I finally filed a complaine at the El Paso, TX B B B

I suggest you and everyone else who has been burnt by Cameras and Parts file complaints with the B B B. It is one of the best and most legitimate ways to shut them down and help others from getting ripped off.

elpaso.bbb.org

Like you, I am not promoting any alternative service. Just trying to help others avoid losing their cameras and money.

These guys are really bad.

Collapse -
CAUTION ! From the Forum Moderator
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 22, 2010 12:36 AM PDT

The claims about camerasandparts.com can not be verified.

Use you own judgment and Caution.

Forum Moderator
Snapshot2

Collapse -
How to verify that Cameras and Parts is a POOR COMPANY
by wantmycameraback / July 15, 2010 9:11 PM PDT

Easy way to find out that Cameras and Parts provides lousy customer service.

Check with the El Paso, TX BBB. I logged a complaint with them and Cameras and Parts refused to reply.

Collapse -
How to research
by wantmycameraback / July 15, 2010 9:12 PM PDT

elpaso.bbb.org

Ask them about Cameras and Parts

Collapse -
Fraud alert
by docrlc / April 24, 2010 8:16 AM PDT

Fraud Caution!!! Address lists as Gil's Mexican Restaurant on Google Earth. No return of Camera. Similar experiences and posts on this site. Use at your own peril.

Collapse -
camerasandparts.com
by docrlc / May 2, 2010 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Fraud alert

The same day as posting my caution, I received a call from the owner of the company on a Saturday, apologizing for the delay, and I received my repaired camera back on Monday.

Collapse -
They are excellent!
by stephanie61174 / May 1, 2010 11:27 PM PDT

I just wanted to put your mind at ease. Camerasandparts.com is exactly what they say they are. They are excellent at camera repairs. I sent my Canon camera to them and they promptly fixed it and returned it to me within a week. It now works better than ever!! The staff there was very responsive to my inquiries and provided me with information via phone and email. There isn't a better Canon repair shop available!!

As far as all the postings about scams and fraud, please ignore them. I was nervous too when I read them, but after a little digging, found that there were a couple of court cases pending regarding their competitors posting mass slander emails. The companies have been told to stop the postings and they are in the process of being removed from the sites. So please rest assured that Camerasandparts are exactly who they say they are. I would definitely send my cameras to them again! They are great!

Collapse -
Wow
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 2, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: They are excellent!

Nobody said they were a scam or fraud, we said they/you are a shill for the company and to be wary of such a company. Who should they take the word of, the people that have participated in forums for a long time or the many single posts giving gushing praise. They are a company that does shill across board.

If you're real then please show links to those pending court cases. My own "digging" has found camerasandparts.com to go to forums and blogs posting overly positive reviews for their site, and all of those people who praise never have contributed before or after their posts....that's a fact.

"There isn't a better Canon shop available!!".....wow. No normal person would ever know that. The only person who would say that and believe it are the people that own the place. I would also say that Canon is the best place to send your camera and know that it will be fixed without having to worry about scrupulous practices, because if their tactics of self promotion are indicative of other aspects of their operation then I would never take the chance on the company.

Collapse -
Another mixed review
by jbjudson / May 12, 2010 7:13 AM PDT

I'll start by saying, yes, this is my first time posting here (but then again, I think every negative comment in this thread is also the first and only comment by the user in these forums).

I found this thread when I was looking into CamerasAndParts.com, and now that I've dealt with them thought I'd add my own experience. Like some others, I've had the experience of sending in a fairly expensive camera (a G9), and not hearing anything back for a while. There is always some delay -- sometimes several days -- between sending and email and getting a response, and often the response doesn't really explain what is going on. So it can start to feel like a scam. But after sending several complaints, threatening to file a payment dispute, etc. a manager called and explained exactly what was going on with the delay (the camera required additional repairs, including a new logic board). He explained that they had undertaken these additional repairs at no extra charge -- and, although he didn't say this, their price is already 50% lower than most camera repair places.

The manager said that usually cameras are repaired and returned within 2 weeks.

One thing that set my mind at ease somewhat while I waited two months for a camera and hoped I didn't send it into a black hole, is that the company has an A rating with the Better Business Bureau of El Paso. (The manager pointed out to me that even Canon only has a C rating with BBB, and most other repair places are much worse.)

At this point, I can say that you can trust these guys and they'll get your camera repaired at lower price than most other places. But if you want really good customer service, you may want to pay extra and go to a local camera repair shop.

Collapse -
that's not correct
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 12, 2010 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Another mixed review

I've been one of the negative commenters, not about how they do for fixing but their constant shilling on the web, and I've been on Cnet for almost 5 years and over 1500 forum posts. Your answer is almost the same answer I seen in another thread and is one of the reasons why I researched and posted the way I did. They've used unscrupulous practices in spamming/shilling on many websites and even your post sounds just like a couple of others I had read, with the same exact reason why you should trust them and with the same style of writing.

I'm not saying your a fake poster, but no posting history, in conjunction with all the other first time posters showing up at the same time, leave very little credibility to the story. If I'm wrong with you then don't take it personally, I just seen their spamming practice in so many other forums/blogs that it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. People are here to learn about cameras and resolve problems, not to get spammed by small companies that find that this is a free way to advertise, waste everyone's time, and not pay the sites for any type of real advertising.

Collapse -
It's also interesting that
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 12, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: that's not correct

Every time this thread comes close to moving into the abyss of old threads there is someone to resurrect it back to beginning to keep it on the main page.

Collapse -
Okay...
by jbjudson / May 16, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: that's not correct

I stand corrected, but I looked at a number of the negative commenters (I thought I looked at all, but I guess not), and they had only posted in this thread. Anyway, I'm not defending their promotional methods. But after I had read some of these comments (having already sent my camera to them), I got pretty freaked out. So I thought I might spare someone else that dread by pointing out that they actually are a legitimate company with (in my experience) bad customer service.

I spent half an hour drafting that message based on my own experience, trying to be as fair as possible. It probably is pretty similar to some other folks' experience. I'm not offended that you think the message may have come from some sort of bot, but I do wonder if your opinion of the company is getting the better of your judgment in this case. I do point out the company is not a complete scam, but why they would put out messages talking about what bad customer service they have is beyond me.

Overall it has been a pretty frustrating experience, but part of that frustration is the number of posters on various forums proclaiming this Cameras and Parts to be a total scam, which is not fun to hear when you've already sent your camera to them.

Collapse -
No it's they're not affecting me
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 16, 2010 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay...

Read my previous posts, especially about the dpreview.com spams. Nobody spends the time to post on dpreview to only post once, but that happened with two posters. The reason you don't see the rampant number of gushing reviews on dpreview is that you have to have a un-anonymous email address, but you see tons of these posts done on anonymous sites, such as here, and you won't be able to find one person that has had more than one post besides proclaiming how great the company is.

Seriously, not ONE poster has had any type of posting history, on any blog or forum, when they talk positively about the company. I did notice that after I posted on one other forum and here about how easy it is to see that they were fake because they were way too positive, that the posts started throwing in that they had to wait a little longer than usual and that they don't get back right away with the person. So the tone of posts all of a sudden changed...weird.

Also, this thread was just about to fall into obscurity again but gets pulled out at the last minute to save it to the front page.

Collapse -
Forgot

Those two posters on dpreview were also people that only posted about the company and that's the only posts ever at dpreview about them. Dpreview is, by far, the biggest photography site and forum on the internet and they only had 2 posters that raved about them and then they left. There are tons of obscure photography sites that have been bombarded with these gushing reviews, which would not make sense except that those are all anonymous sites and you can make as many different sign-in names as you want and make it look legit.

I would never use them, just because I don't trust them after using the unscrupulous practices.

Collapse -
not an endorsement
by jbjudson / May 16, 2010 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Forgot

That's fair enough. I'm certainly not rushing out to recommend them to my friends. My point is that when I say I only heard from a manager after threatening to dispute the credit card charge, etc., that's not something a shill is likely to say about the company. I'm just no longer worried that they are a complete scam.

But I'm sure you're right that a lot of the posts you see on the forums about them are planted. Unfortunately, I only started investigating more closely after I sent the camera to them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.