Speakeasy forum

Praise

Anybody seen photos of the recently commissioned Zumwalt-

by Rob_Boyter / October 11, 2014 4:35 PM PDT

class destroyer? Wow !!!

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anybody seen photos of the recently commissioned Zumwalt-
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anybody seen photos of the recently commissioned Zumwalt-
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes....and WOW can't even describe it
by TONI H / October 11, 2014 8:23 PM PDT
http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/inside-zumwalt-destroyer

When it was first debuted Derek could hardly wait to see it 'up close and personal'.........he might have already had that chance, I'm not sure.

Pretty appropriate that the first Commander is named Capt. James Kirk..............

The link I provided also has, at the bottom of the article, more new 'goodies' coming..........
Collapse -
Amazing ship
by James Denison / October 12, 2014 5:13 AM PDT

a bathroom for 4 and with 3 shift changes, that means a decent rotation on time to use.

Collapse -
I really like the new remote controlled
by TONI H / October 12, 2014 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Amazing ship

patrol boats ARMED with 5" weapons......have you seen that fleet (about 15 now)?

Collapse -
(NT) Not yet
by James Denison / October 12, 2014 10:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
link
by TONI H / October 12, 2014 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Not yet
Collapse -
If they are unmanned
by James Denison / October 13, 2014 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: link

then why do they have a cockpit on them?

Collapse -
I'm guessing
by TONI H / October 13, 2014 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: If they are unmanned

that it's where cameras are mounted so they don't have to rely strictly on GPS coordinates against moving targets?

Collapse -
RE: WOW can't even describe it.
by JP Bill / October 12, 2014 12:17 PM PDT

Would OH NO!!!! be more appropriate?

The Zumwalt is expected to have a crew of only 154, about half that of the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers currently in service.

Crew of 154 instead of 308...... another 154 military personnel that won't be required.

Did you even think about that part of technology, given your statement.

I really like the new remote controlled patrol boats ARMED with 5" weapons.

You've made it very clear you don't agreed with any cuts to the military.

Collapse -
Think it through, JP
by TONI H / October 12, 2014 8:59 PM PDT

Since it can hold a smaller number of personnel but still be more tech savvy than what we have now, we can build more of them and place them everywhere fully manned (double the ships, the same number of personnel on board now that don't have to go).

Rebuild our USNavy................and stop leaving our military equipment behind (the theory has been that it's cheaper to build it and leave it than it is to bring it back home) for enemies to take over. If you aren't going to bring the stuff back, blow it all up as you depart.

Collapse -
RE: we can build more of them
by JP Bill / October 12, 2014 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Think it through, JP

I my mind.....BUILD one = REPLACE one?

Please explain why you think they will not take one of the older ships out of service.

When I buy a new car....I sell/get rid of the old one.

RE: "build more of them"....tax money pays wages for the shipbuilders, right? It's great to be rolling in dough. (I think the unit cost is $3.45 Billion) Union workers thank you.

Since it can hold a smaller number of personnel

HOLD a smaller number of personnel? HOLD? Don't you mean NEEDS? Less manpower, cut in military personnel. Something you were against.

build more of them and place them everywhere fully manned

YOU GET A DESTROYER, YOU GET A DESTROYER, YOU GET A DESTROYER, EVERYONE GETS A DESTROYER!!!!!!

You figure build more ships to provide work for military personnel....sounds like some form of welfare.

From what I've read they only plan on building 3 of these ships.

Collapse -
Plan to build only 3
by TONI H / October 12, 2014 10:55 PM PDT

Doesn't mean they can't actually build more....they just need the budget to so again.

As for build one; replace one.........ALL military equipment eventually gets replaced with better. Instead of sinking the old ones, place them in areas where they can be put to good use....same with our old tanks left behind. Give them to our boarder patrol....night vision, fast response, fully armed. We have so many of them, including the ones the pentagon said they didn't want/need but got built anyhow that Diana complains about all the time, that we could line them up every quarter/half mile or so instead of having so few boarder patrol agents every forty or fifty miles apart right now.

You seem to forget that military equipment building (all branches) always provides jobs....jobs that have been disappearing because of budget cuts. It's the rule of 'supply and demand'.....that's true with any product. How do you figure that sounds like 'welfare'?

Collapse -
RE: old tanks left behind. Give them to our boarder patrol..
by JP Bill / October 12, 2014 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Plan to build only 3
old tanks left behind. Give them to our boarder patrol....night vision, fast response, fully armed.

You need a "tank" for "night vision, fast response and fully armed" to stop people with a bag of clothes from sneaking across the border?

The term "overkill" comes to mind.

I could do the same with a Toyota Rav4, a pair of night vision binoculars and a machine gun.

that we could line them up every quarter/half mile or so

I posted before about how the troops that were patrolling the border were almost bored out of their skull, watching tumbleweed grow.
Collapse -
And you were wrong
by TONI H / October 12, 2014 11:58 PM PDT

The only boredom comes from this administration not letting them do their jobs.

As for the tanks being overkill..........didn't say they had to do anything other than intimidate the hell out of illegals including terrorists and drug/gun/people runners.........and they would. As the people of Ferguson how they felt about having 'overkill' equipment available to cops.......and yes, I am all for that intimidation to control 'bad behavior'. When you have law enforcement with equipment that far exceeds what the bad guys have, law enforcement wins.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: And you were wrong
What Would the National Guard Actually Do at the Border?

And others argued that it sent an unnecessarily fearsome message to the arriving migrants, with uniformed soldiers standing guard on the border, guns in hand. "So, they're fleeing men and women with guns in Central America, and we're going to receive them with men and women with guns here," said Democratic Rep. Luis Gutierrez of Illinois. "They're children. They're not invading."

And you were wrong The only boredom

They weren't MY words

Some found themselves fighting boredom, chatting with each other about their lives back home — where their jobs were altogether different than looking out for armed traffickers — and wondering how much longer they would be posted in the unforgiving desert heat. Others killed time any way they could during taxing 12-hour shifts watching the silent riverbank.

"The music keeps me up," said one soldier listening to old-school R&B tunes who requested anonymity because, as several guardsmen explained, the soldiers were not permitted to speak to the media. "We're keeping our eyes on the brush."

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse...YOU stick THEM in a tank in the desert, and THEY sit there, and THEY sit there and THEY wait.

And YOU sit at home at your keyboard.
Collapse -
Gutierrez
by TONI H / October 13, 2014 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

has been wanting open borders and amnesty since before BO got elected....and got lied to by BO in order to garner his vote for Obamacare telling him that he would get what he wanted during BO's NEXT election.

And they aren't just CHILDREN crossing that border so that argument holds no water.

The boredom issue, again, is because they aren't being allowed to do the job they were hired to do....by direct orders from Homeland Security, the DOJ, and BO.

And, yes, I want anybody trained and qualified to be in those tanks that I would put along that entire stretch of the border. Tanks and armed Jeeps/mobile units are far more intimidating than border personnel using vans and paintball/rubber ball 'bullets'....I don't care if their feelings are hurt because our borders are lined with fearsome equipment. Let all those illegals (from Mexico and otherwise) stay on that side of the border until they qualify with legal visas and/or work permits.

Obviously you have a problem with that while YOU sit at home at YOUR keyboard....but this is MY country, not YOURS, and it needs protecting at all costs. Hurt feelings are a ******.. reason to NOT protect it.

Collapse -
RE: And they aren't just CHILDREN crossing that border so th
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Gutierrez
And they aren't just CHILDREN crossing that border so that argument holds no water.

And you think a projectile from a tank knows the difference?
Collapse -
RETanks and armed Jeeps/mobile units are far more intimida
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 4:43 AM PDT
Tanks and armed Jeeps/mobile units are far more intimidating

OH...you just want to "intimidate" them...You could just "draw a line in the sand" , would YOU agree to that? Devil

How bout stopping ALL traffic from the US TO Mexico....Close the "border crossings".

Ban ALL truck traffic from Mexico to the US, No trade with Mexico. You won't see many tractor trailers hauling auto parts across the dessert or floating on a barge across the Rio Grande.

Stuff the US government has actual control over....When Mexico figures out that the "legals" are worth more than not stopping the "illegals" they'll come to their senses.
Collapse -
You're going over the top now
by TONI H / October 13, 2014 5:02 AM PDT

We actually HAVE border crossing stations that are part of the highway system the trucks AND people go thru and are inspected before being allowed to enter the US, JP....just like Canada has in place.

And, yes, intimidation actually works, even/especially with foreign policy. How do you think Reagan was able to push back on the Soviet Union....causing it to break up? How about JFK and the Soviet Union/Cuban Missile Crisis?

Don't you find it ironic that during his first campaign for President, the liberals and Dems tried to slash him out of the picture by referring to him as "The Actor" that wouldn't have any world clout or be taken seriously..........and yet THEIR pick in BO has resulted in having a "Constitutional Professor" (part time at that) and a well-known 'Community Organizer' with a reputation for 'bringing people together' actually looked at as a clown who isn't trusted by our allies and our enemies walk all over him every day?

Give me a Reagan or JFK figure-head any day of the week......and tanks and mobile armed units lining our southern border.

Collapse -
RE: We actually HAVE border crossing stations that are part
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 6:14 AM PDT
We actually HAVE border crossing stations that are part of the highway system the trucks AND people go thru and are inspected before being allowed to enter the US, JP....just like Canada has in place.

I know...that's why I said to use them. Close the "border crossings".

I think you should give me more credit than that Toni...Call me an "idiot" if you must...IF you actually think I know that little...you should stop responding to any/all of my posts.
But I think I could shame you if we participated in a general knowledge/IQ test.

I'll bet I've been across an "international border" more times than you have.

How many times have you actually left American soil?

And, yes, intimidation actually works,

Recall the recent uproar..Obama "drew a line in the sand", Do you agree that "worked"?
Collapse -
RE: You're going over the top now
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 6:21 AM PDT

I AM?

but this is MY country, not YOURS, and it needs protecting at all costs.

HOW can I go "over the top"

ALL COSTS?

Collapse -
speedy gonzalez
by James Denison / October 13, 2014 5:31 AM PDT

we'll pass out speedy gonzalez stickers at the border to make them feel loved and then send them back home with a bag of beans and tortilla flour.

Collapse -
Re: Speedy Gonzalez
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: speedy gonzalez

Pepe Le Pew?.................... Is that you?

The guy with the free gas?

Collapse -
No senor, no look like ninos
by James Denison / October 13, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

you can shoot dis one!

Collapse -
Red Line in the sand and BO
by TONI H / October 13, 2014 7:00 AM PDT

>>>Recall the recent uproar..Obama "drew a line in the sand", Do you agree that "worked"?>>>

It didn't work because we have a big mouth for a leader who doesn't act on his words.....if you also recall, he had ships out at sea ready, willing, and able to fire......and HE'S the one who backed down, the coward, NOT the bad guys.

You made my point about intimidation, JP........only problem: BO is the one who gets intimidated into non-action every time he's cornered with this braggart, tough guy talk. The bully is the one who gets put in his place pretty often, and that place is not the throne he believes he has but rather the three-legged stool in the 'time out' corner.

Collapse -
RE: into non-action
by JP Bill / October 13, 2014 7:07 AM PDT

tanks that won't fire on illegals?

Intimidating?

frighten or overawe (someone), especially in order to make them do what one wants.

nothing there about actually "using" something.

Collapse -
Gee! Everybody likes it!
by drpruner / October 13, 2014 8:44 AM PDT

Same group that doesn't like how the same government is handling the bank bailout money. Hey! Where do you think the Zumwalt money comes from? Doesn't grow on trees.
Well, at least the US will be more secure; less terrorism; less IS... That's right, isn't it?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!