Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anybody here a graphics expert?

by Dragon / October 17, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

I have what appears to be a scan of a map from an old book. I was curious to know what the type on the bottom was.

The reason this came up in the first place was that I'd noticed there were differing versions of history of the various counties, especially those where the map shows Young Territory. Others show Bexar going all the way up to the top of the panhandle.

Also, some accounts say some of the counties west of the ones shown came from Fannin county while others say they came from Bexar. It's confusing. I wrote to the publisher of one author who then forwarded it to the author who in turn may or may not respond. The longer he goes without responding, the less likely he will, I guess.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anybody here a graphics expert?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anybody here a graphics expert?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"type" meaning the Font?
by grimgraphix / October 17, 2007 2:26 AM PDT

I can't make it out, well enough to say what it might be. Here is a link to a handy site called Identifont. If you know the different parts of what makes up a type face, then following the instructions here will help you identify the possible type style it may be.

http://www.identifont.com/identify.html

cheers

grim

Collapse -
If you mean the bottommost print,
by drpruner / October 17, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

just above the 764 and 1858, then I can't quite make it out. At home maybe I can open it in irfanview and blow it up.
BTW I think I can make out "... of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania" !

Collapse -
Yep, that's what I thought that part said, too
by Dragon / October 17, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

Not sure what it means, though. Maybe the rest would give it context.

Collapse -
using Irfanview
by jonah jones / October 17, 2007 3:25 AM PDT

i used the 'negative' process and it made it a little clearer

___ __ __ act of congress in the year 1860? by s- aug--stin- with __ in the __ office? of the __ (disburser?) of the ..............

Collapse -
I typed some of this stuff into google
by Dragon / October 17, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: using Irfanview

and came up with this site which as you can see, has the map in the upper right-hand corner.

Entered According to Act of Congress in the Year 1860 by S. Augustus Mitchell in the Clerks Office of the District Court of the State for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania

Collapse -
It's an excellent example of the problems with jpeg.
by Kiddpeat / October 17, 2007 9:22 AM PDT

I saw the jpeg artifacts quite distinctly, but could see enough to say that you've discovered what it says.

Collapse -
I tried the "tilt the screen back" method
by Dragon / October 17, 2007 11:03 AM PDT

which helped a little -- that plus the input of the others, here.

BTW, I had read about a different kind of picture that is completely different and is a lot sharper, even when it's blown up. I don't know if you can make one from a map or if it's mostly done with art, or what. But I also learned that although you can change it to a jpg, you can't change it back to the other kind. Sorry, I forgot what the 'other' kind is called.

Collapse -
You mean a vector image?
by Bill Osler / October 17, 2007 12:01 PM PDT

I'm not a professional about this, but my understanding is that the only freely scalable images use processes that describe the curves bounding objects or some similar process. I don't know if a 'vector graphic' image is a generic name for that sort of image or if it is one specific type.
I doubt you can create an infinitely scalable image via a scanning process.

Collapse -
Yep, that's it! :)
by Dragon / October 17, 2007 12:10 PM PDT
I doubt you can create an infinitely scalable image via a scanning process.

How about a limited scalable image via scanning process?
Collapse -
That depends on the definition of 'limited' ...
by Bill Osler / October 17, 2007 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep, that's it! :)

All images can be reduced in size. Raster/bitmap type images can be enlarged but the enlargement does not add any additional detail so at some point you start to get pixelation. AFAIK the ability to 'zoom in' is limited primarily by the resolution of the original image. Even with seriously high dollar scanners there are limits to resolution that result from optical artifacts related to the wavelength of light. There is a similar limit to the usable magnification of standard microscopes that use visible light no matter how good the optics are. I don't remember the optics well enough to explain the phenomenon.

Collapse -
Visible light microscope...
by J. Vega / October 17, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

As I remember, the magnification limit on visible light microscopes is about 950 power. Above that the space between 2 distinct points is less than the wavelength of blue/green light (the light we use to see) and those two points appear as a single "fuzzy' point.

Collapse -
I had recently read
by Dragon / October 17, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

about the technology to make type sharper, in which pixels were divided into smaller pieces, instead of using either all black or all white. I imagine something similar could be used for pictures, too.

BTW, with the vector method, I had read that pixelation no longer applied, which is why it could be expanded with less loss of quality.

Collapse -
(NT) wtg! i never thought to use google
by jonah jones / October 18, 2007 1:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
I can't help you but
by Steven Haninger / October 17, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

I sure think that's a neat map....much nicer than anything I've seen from Rand McNally. Happy

Collapse -
Yep, very nice map
by drpruner / October 18, 2007 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: I can't help you but

To share a little that I know about the area:
NM was a territory at that time, and the "bootheel" in the SW seems to be missing. It was part of the Gadsden Purchase of 1853, so I'm guessing the map was not quite up to date. Of course the auctioneers were concerned only with the value of the map as a collectible. The Gadsden strip included Columbus, NM, which Pancho Villa raided some 100 years ago. Maybe he was playing nationalist as well as bandit.

The "Indian Territory" to the N is, of course, Oklahoma, which has 'Indian nation' or similar on its license plates.

W Texas counties today include many named after famous cattlemen, especially of the post-Civil War era.

I wouldn't mind looking it over with a good hand lens; matching up place names and history.

Collapse -
I'm just finding myself to be more impressed
by Steven Haninger / October 18, 2007 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep, very nice map

by the capability of those who came before us who didn't have the tools we have today. I remember an expression referring to something as being "made with the teeth" when it was obvious that precision tools were not used. The imagination and artisanship that's present in historical artifacts is quite amazing to me.

Collapse -
Here's another map
by Dragon / October 19, 2007 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep, very nice map
Collapse -
Nice to look at
by Steven Haninger / October 19, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's another map

but a bit pricy to own. Happy

Collapse -
pity it's not the original
by jonah jones / October 17, 2007 3:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the link.
by drpruner / October 18, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

One of the missing maps is a world map by this guy:
Waldseem

Collapse -
Have no "facts, but...............
by Mac McMullen / October 19, 2007 1:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Another good source for maps
by Dragon / October 20, 2007 11:15 AM PDT

I've been browsing the maps, especially those of Texas. I've tried downloading a couple, but have been unable to find a program to read them. I've gone to the FF forum to see if there's an extension or add-on that will help me see maps I've downloaded. Nothing I have will translate a .sid file to what I can see because they don't recognize it.

Collapse -
Irfanview lists .sid as
by drpruner / October 20, 2007 12:17 PM PDT

"LizardTech MrSID format" and implies that it will handle it.

You can get Irfanview from those friendly folks at download.com (a division of giant C|net.com Happy ) or http://www.irfanview.net/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.