HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Anybody got feedback on Avertec laptops?

by sandy414 / October 13, 2004 3:37 AM PDT

I am trying to decide on a "first" laptop and am wondering what you folks think of Averatec? I am trying to keep it under 1300.00. For internet, word, excel, and maybe powerpoint at sometime. Want to be able to travel with it. Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anybody got feedback on Avertec laptops?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anybody got feedback on Avertec laptops?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Anybody got feedback on Avertec laptops?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 3:59 AM PDT

My thought. Unless their service center stocks spare parts is on your continent I'd remove them from your list.

Bob

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 13, 2004 4:39 AM PDT

For your use (wi-fi internet surfing, light weight, and using Microsoft Office applications primarily) check out the HP DV1000 (brand new) at hpshopping.com

It has the DVD and CD playing functions while the computer is turned off (allowing instant on and longer battery life using these features only) and a built in remote control in the PCcard slot.

It is a Pentium M Centrino so you will get 4 hours + battery life - it has built in wi-fi.

It has a 14" LCD and weights at or under 5.5 pounds.

The only negative is it only has shared video memory but for your use shared video should be fine (need dedicated video memory for many games and programs like Autocad, photoshop, etc).

You can get a 100 custom order rebate through 12/1/04 (I posted the link to this a couple of days ago on another DV1000 thread) and other discounts.

You should easily be able to get a DV1000 with what you want for under $1300.

Collapse -
by Denob / October 13, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

I just ordered the HP dv1000 based on Ken's excellent advice. It has the perfect blend of features that I wanted.

-Windows XP Home
-Pentium M 725 (1.6 GHz)
-14" BrightView Widescreen
-256 MB DDR SDRAM (I should be able to add a 512 MB stick for about $75 in the future)
-60 GB 5400 RPM HardDrive
-DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
-802.11 b/g with Bluetooth
-Remote Control (of course!)

Price before adjustments: $1363.99
After adjustments: $1363.99 - 10% discount (supposedly expired 10/11 but it worked for me on 10/12) - 3% (FatWallet.com) - $100 mail-in-rebate = $1086.87! And this includes tax, shipping and handling.

I think that's a fabulous deal for what you get...thanks KenSanramon!!

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 13, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

Now that's some great pricing feedback on the new HP DV1000 as I have an X1000 so I only know the basics of the pricing.

Make sure to post the dedicated forum for the DV1000 (which is posted on a thread at X1000forums.com) as there are as lot of people interested in this new notebook.

Even some people at our site (including the site administrator) have considered getting one of these as it is great for airplane travel, cafe use, etc .. it just doesn't have the dedicated video memory and it doesn't have the 15.4" widescreen for everyday 1 computer only use (for spreadsheets, etc). But for that you have 1 more pound of weight and more notebook width and also a higher price.

Thats great you were able to get the instant discounts also, Denob. Those come and go so the Forums help to keep people on their toes for all of the discounts at any given time.

Also, they apprise you of bios updates, driver updates, etc that are posted at the HP and Compaq websites.

Collapse -
by startariot / November 21, 2004 9:49 AM PST

if you go to amazon.com or to buy.com search for avertec they have reviews... im about to buy on... they sound good

Collapse -
by mwbtj / December 6, 2004 8:37 AM PST

well, don't know much about avertecs, but i just picked up a HP Pavillion zv5000 w/ amd 3400 athlon, 512 memory, dvd burner wireless networking, nvidia graphics,, the works. for $1250 at circuit city
My advice "FIND THE OPEN BOX DEALS"

Collapse -
by jedisolo / December 9, 2004 2:22 PM PST

I bought a Averatec 6130HS from my local sams club for 1200 dollars and I bought the 3 year service plan and I've had it for 3 months so far and it's a fast notebook.
comes with P4 3Ghz HT chip, 512mb ram, ati 9600 64mb(not the best in graphics) 60 gig hd(4200 rpm), 4X dvd burner.
Personally I liked what I bought.
-andrew

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.