Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Any suggestions on getting a domain?

by mike62 / March 19, 2006 10:23 PM PST

I have thought about getting my own .com just for the heck of it I don't really have any business application. Have a permenant email, maybe a page in the future. Currently I use JUNO and I have ran across a forum that will not let me register as it recognizes it as a "free" internet account which it is not I subscribe. Anyway, I understand I can route a Yahoo account thru it somehow or something.

Any of you guys have these accounts and what all could a novice use one for?

Also, any recommendations on an affordable site? I hear a lot about GoDaddy.com.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any suggestions on getting a domain?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any suggestions on getting a domain?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go Daddy should give you
by Ray Harinec / March 19, 2006 11:06 PM PST

much info.

You can buy [register] a domain name for one to ten years. Better rate / more years. You can do this and do nothing with it. .com, .net, .US etc may each be a separate cost. You may find a slight difference in cost at different sites. They all get registered with the "official" database.

If you get a site that has great traffic, be sure to never forget to renew your registration. If it expires anyone else can then "steal" it by registering it.

If you create a website, outfits such as Go Daddy can host your DNA and redirect to your computer.

You'll get much better inputs from others when they get online.

If you asked in more than one forum, please be sure to check for replies in each.

Collapse -
Here's a link to the CNET
by Ray Harinec / March 19, 2006 11:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Hey Mike, I'm sorry
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 12:15 AM PST

and embarrassed. Just saw that you posted in the Web design forum a few days ago and got no answers.

I'm going to email a friend and see if she will pitch in with this. She has done ti all.

Collapse -
Hi Ed. I always wondered how good
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 4:56 AM PST

they were. They have so many pages of glossy ads in the three magazines I get, I wondered about them.

Collapse -
I wasn't crazy about their
by TONI H / March 20, 2006 5:25 AM PST

package prices since I upload so many downloadable files to my site.

I went with GoDaddy to get the domain name, then went with earthlink.com for the hosting instead. They had the best hosting prices around after I shopped for quite a while comparing them to meet my needs...and no ads like many sites require for their cheaper packages.

TONI

Collapse -
They are good and reliable...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2006 5:40 AM PST

but as with anything how good they are for your particular needs depends on your needs.

If you expect to have a lot of files downloaded from your site you will want to ensure that they provide the necessary bandwidth.

1&1 will add additional bandwidth for additional but quite reasonable cost.

Most people (beginners especially) however will not need more than the 250 GB they offer with their $2.99 a month 5 GB storage package.

I have a hunch Toni wasn't thrilled with their OLD packages which while dependable were a bit more limited.

Collapse -
WOW
by TONI H / March 23, 2006 8:10 PM PST

They have MAJORLY changed their packages from when I looked two years ago as I was shopping for a host....thanks for the heads up about what they are offering currently. That's a huge difference for the better.........I'd even gotten to where I skip over their ten pages of ads in the pc mags I get because I didn't suspect such a large change so even though the ads were in my face every month, I totally ignored them.

TONI

Collapse -
Want to see a bigger change?
by Edward ODaniel / March 25, 2006 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: WOW
Collapse -
More 1&1 input
by khunter08 / March 30, 2006 9:45 PM PST

Hi all,
I have six domains registered thru 1&1 (1and1.com). You can start out with just a domain name and get a web mail package for so cheap it's unbelievable. You can get a lot with their hosting packages also. They have such a variety of setups I had trouble making a decision.

Because of their growth, the company is constantly improving the features of the packages. However, I did find that if you want to take advantage of more features in the same package you will need to transfer your domain from them to them. One suggestion (if you do that) is to wait until it's about package renewal time (they auto renew) and transfer then, because you don't get credit for unused time. It's kind of a hassle, but a small price to pay for the increased benefits.

I did a lot of research before I went with a provider and I've been quite pleased with the packages, price and service. They have 24x7 support and while sometimes there's a wait to get thru to a tech, they have been friendly and efficient. Even at 3am.

Currently, I have a couple of the domains hosted and the rest are just email packages that I upgrade as needed. I use my ISP's (SBC/ATT/YAHOO) web mail to retrieve from the various 1&1 mailboxes and have the webmail package setup so that I respond with the appropriate address. The benefit for me is that my mail is available anywhere there is a computer. Since I don't always travel with a computer, I'm not restricted to a local client-based program.

Even better, since the mail is stored (and backed up) on my host ISP (2GB) I don't have to worry about a disk crash. For me it's win/win.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?