TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

any suggestions for home audio

by mynameisjberg / July 8, 2007 2:19 AM PDT

i'm looking for a HTIB just for the fact that it is easier to have everything together. that way i don't have to go buy a receiver, dvd player, and speakers. i would like something that has HDMI connectivity to hook up to my panasonic th-42pz700u that i recently purchase about 3 weeks ago.

i'm also looking for something with wireless rear speakers and preferably upconverts to 1080p.

any suggestions on different brands and models.

i'm looking to spend anywhere between $400-$750.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: any suggestions for home audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: any suggestions for home audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SORRY, YOU'RE ASKING FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE WITH THAT BUDGET.
by Riverledge / July 8, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

river.

Collapse -
HTIB

well forget the price, tell me whats good

Collapse -
Hey, I'm in the same boat...
by mitsbry / July 8, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

I just moved to a new state and am in the process of buying a new home entertainment system including tv. I think I have the tv picked out but am still looking for a good HTiB. I started a thread in this forum a few days ago. See if you can find it and check it out. That might help a bit. Keep me updated as to what your looking at and I'll do the same.
Good Luck!
mits

Collapse -
panasonic sc-pt950
by mynameisjberg / July 8, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

i found this, but i was wondering how it stacked up against other htib systems of the same price.

Collapse -
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but I advocate selecting
by NM_Bill / July 8, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

individual pieces. Yes, I know Bose has some convenient but pricey sets. A lot of us here say you can do better by doing a bit of work.

Todays receivers are very capable & excellent values. C/net reviews for entry level receivers show better rated ones most can afford at $200-$250.

Don't buy combos with DVD player a part of a receiver or TV because DVD players are only made to last around 5 years. Make one piece disposable rather than tossing the receiver too.

Entry level Oppo brand, sold directly to customers, is rated both excellent performer & excellent value. Factory refurbs start at about $160 up to about $229 if you need upconverting to full 1080p. I am of the opinion that 1080 is mostly an unnoticable costly upgrade over the fine 720 sets. On line real time gamers or those who want to see high def DVDs will need it though.

HTIBs are generally not state of the art, so most don't have the best connectivity options. If one insists on nothing more than an HTIB the Onkyo brand ones are the most frequently recommended ones.

I do advocate that makers specializing in speakers generally make ones superior than packaged afterthoughts by component makers. They need not cost a lot but the expectation of getting not more than what you pay for does apply. I'd rather see folks delay to buy once & buy right rather than something you will want to replace in year or so.

Speaker brands to look for include JBL, Klipsch, Polk, Infinity, Boston Acoustics & Paradigm. Speakers that you will be glad to have forever start at around $150 each. Don't be afraid to look beyond the usual big box stores - to independents. They have already survived the coming of the big boxes. More consistent knowledge there & most are happy to sell to a few hundred dollar customers as well as bigger ones.

A few other brands to look for to audition include Energy, Epos, PSB, & Monitor Audio. Direct sales companies highly regarded are Aperion & Axiom.

I would like to see some first good speaker customers get the NHT Three set of two to start with. It was Editor's Choice of fancy schmancy Stereophile magazine. It was introduced at $800. Street price is $600. My local dealer has a fast deal now at $525.

A $200 receiver & that for $525 would exceed any HTIB I know of. I'd be willing to bet a few bucks on it. A little knowledge to learn is a bother, yes, but worthwhile.

Other great sounding speakers include Paradigm Atom @$199, PSB Alpha B @$249, Epos ELS3 @$329, Usher S520 @$375, & Monitor Audio Bronze B2 @$399. Any of those are much finer sound than Bose or HTIBs.

We love to have people consider a budget over a thousand to $1500. Sort of a worthwhile entry level price for many options of lasting value.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?