Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Any suggestion on any good video converters?

by taggerung / December 13, 2010 7:28 AM PST

I want to widen the frame and convert videos. I have Any Video Converter, but it messed up my video. :/ And I have Video Converter Factory, but it doesn't have a big enough frame widener... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any suggestion on any good video converters?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any suggestion on any good video converters?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While I don't need to resize the video, here's what I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 7:31 AM PST

1. SUPER Video Converter. It's free and just a little hard to find the download.

2. Virtual Dub. It's free and just like item 1 I will not write tutorials on use BUT it can resize video frames.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but....
by taggerung / December 13, 2010 10:10 AM PST

I read a few reviews about the first one and...... They were all bad.
I downloaded the zip file of VirtualDub and it doesn't work with the videos I want to widen the frames. It says something about not being able to load decompressor for WMV2....

Collapse -
In spite of that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but....

I use Super and it gets the job done and the price is right.

HOWEVER, now that I read WMV2 I understand the problem a lot more. That's a MSFT encoding and full of troubles. It takes awhile for folk to learn to not use that.
Bob

Collapse -
try XFreesoft Video Converter
by Lesleay / December 15, 2010 5:34 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't have money for software..
by taggerung / December 17, 2010 11:51 AM PST

I'd like it to be free... But thanks.

Collapse -
We have free covered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 11:59 AM PST

I didn't mention Virtual Dub. A little hard on some folk but I've used it before. SUPER is easier. I really need to re-try VLC PLAYER at this again.
Bob

Collapse -
You're right!
by taggerung / December 20, 2010 3:40 PM PST
In reply to: We have free covered.

Super is a good video converter. I looked at a copy/virus one and then I downloaded the real Super. I figured it out... But none of the video converters I've used (I've downloaded over ten) will adjust the frame size... I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Is it because it's a big file? It's well over half a gigabyte.

Collapse -
The two step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2010 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: You're right!

While VIRTUAL DUB can resize and more, it depends on the source to be in some encoding that your machine has a good working CODEC for input and output. CODECs in my opinion are like cement overcoats are for swimmers.

But once I got the content in compatible encoding I could use Virtual Dub for the next step.
Bob

Collapse -
Try this video converter
by tailor608 / December 18, 2010 10:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Dead link and that title has been spammed too much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 1:42 PM PST

Given the spam for that one, it's one I'd avoid.

Collapse -
And also..
by taggerung / December 20, 2010 3:41 PM PST

Which one would you avoid?

Collapse -
d a n i s o f t.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2010 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: And also..

It's been spammed here and the moderators don't like cleaning off the spam posts.

Collapse -
Oh. Thank you.
by taggerung / December 21, 2010 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: d a n i s o f t.

I don't know if you read my previous reply to you, but..... Any video converter I download doesn't reframe the video.. Is it because it's well over half a gigabyte?

Collapse -
I have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2010 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Oh. Thank you.

I've used virtual dub on 10+GB video files so that's not it. The only problem I have with virtual dub is that it can challenge folk that are new to using it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you! But..
by taggerung / December 27, 2010 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: I have to write no.

Thank you for all of your help, but I tried Virtual Dub and I guess it didn't work because it's more complicated.

Collapse -
Sorry...
by taggerung / December 20, 2010 3:45 PM PST

But when I clicked on the link, it said there was an FTP error or something like that with the page.

Collapse -
A Complete Video Converter
by petre62 / December 26, 2010 3:20 PM PST
Collapse -
Video converter
by asim1987 / December 29, 2010 7:43 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.