Mac Applications forum

Question

Any Software to Replace Now Up To Date / Contact ?

by Psychobabbalon / February 1, 2014 7:50 AM PST

iCal is just lame. I am looking for a calendar software package that has To Do's as well as the usual calendar functions. Now Up To Date served me well until Lion and no Rosetta killed the ability to run it. Is there anything out there that comes close to NUD or at least a few features beyond iCal ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any Software to Replace Now Up To Date / Contact ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any Software to Replace Now Up To Date / Contact ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you find their download site and Now X?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 8:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Now X does not run under Mavericks
by Psychobabbalon / February 1, 2014 11:39 AM PST

Thank you for the quick response.

According to several other forums, the latest version of Now X (2009?) does not run under Mavericks. It also has consistently terrible reviews. Here is one from MacWorld "Macworld buying advice
Now X, once the standard for Mac contact management and calendaring, is a program that doesn't rise anywhere near the level of its predecessor. Poorly documented, occasionally buggy, and often slow, Now X is unlikely to be a viable replacement for whatever contact and calendar application is your current favorite. "

I did try several times to get the current version working just incase the forums were wrong, no success.

Thus my search goes on for a updated, running, well reviewed, less costly ($130 for the buggy NowX) - though I'd pay that if it worked as well the final NUD version did.

Collapse -
Odd. I thought those were placed in the open for free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 12:55 AM PST

The company folded and the last versions were at the site for everyone to pick up in case they lost theirs.

In parting, maybe Qualcomm which bought the rights has something but I didn't check into that.
Bob

Collapse -
Will Check QC
by Psychobabbalon / February 2, 2014 3:36 AM PST

Bob,

Thanks for the pointer to Qualcomm, I will peruse their site for something useful.

I would think with this obvious hole in the market, somebody would fill it with something other than iCal.

Cheers.

Collapse -
More like a pothole or black hole.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2014 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Will Check QC

If the company could not make a go of it maybe the market was not big enough to support the product? You see this a lot. I author some apps and have found a few folk that want me to write this or that but when it came down to how much it costs they folded and didn't come up with the funds.

This has worsened with the app market with apps going for 99 cents which is reprogramming consumers to think that Microsoft Office (for example) should sell for 99 cents!
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
NUDC Fan
by leebies / March 13, 2014 3:44 PM PDT

Have you found anything that can replace NUDC? I totally agree that ical is HORRIBLE. I actually think they may have somehow corrupted NUDC from staying in the game.I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but REALLY, the interface for NUDC is SO much more elegant and better than iCal. What can we do???

Leeschemel@mac.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?