TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Any recommendations for Home Audio Systems HDMI compatible

by xxfftlxx / March 4, 2007 5:09 AM PST

I just recently upgrade to an HD plasma tv and am in the market for a new home theater system. Any recommendations. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any recommendations for Home Audio Systems HDMI compatible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any recommendations for Home Audio Systems HDMI compatible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Goals? Budget?
by NM_Bill / March 4, 2007 5:40 AM PST

What the sort of consensus here would like to see you get into is a modest to decent receiver & quality speakers that will satisfy you indefinitely. Yes, that goes beyond & involves some more money than a quick recommendation for an HTIB (home theater in a box.)

The reason being those of us with and appreciative of very decent sound systems feel many can come to appreciate it with confidence the quality of sound will enhance the HD experience. The receiver needn't be overly expensive as we try to emphasize that an investment in speakers from makers specializing in them should be around 70% of the budget.

Perceptions of speakers may seem to be that they are expensive. Well sorry, but they can't be both actually quality and cheap. With good choice they will last well for decades. Components change technology rapidly and call to be replaced. Decent speakers don't and basically don't wear out.

With some more specifics on your part, a predictable set of common recommendations will be posted.

Collapse -
Something in the price range of 500-600 dollars.
by xxfftlxx / March 4, 2007 7:07 AM PST

I am new to the world of home audio systems and was looking into getting a home theater system in a box, in the price range of 500-600 dollars. Would you recommend getting the reciever and speakers separately or as a whole system. I was looking at the ONKYO HTS-790S Home Theater System. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Hi
by jostenmeat / March 4, 2007 7:37 AM PST

I have that Onkyo htib, and it is a steal of a bargain, esp if you can get it at $400 like I've seen. An easy and recommended upgrade you can make is in buying a new sub (I haven't yet). However, make sure you will be truly satisfied for at least some substantial amount of time. I was very, very, very pleased for almost a half year, and have since been looking into setups that cost more than 20x as much.

The receiver that is supplied does not have auto-eq (just use the OR-function), and it does not have pre-outs in the case that you wanted to buy a separate external amp to attach.

Otherwise, bump your budget up a bit more, perhaps double lets say, and then you may have so many options, your head will spin. But, I think with a TRUE limit of $600 and with an Absolute need for 7.1, I would go with your proposed Htib + new sub. Sell the stock one as new on ebay, craigslist or something. Oh, btw, the receiver also is lacking multi-channel analog inputs in the case you want hi-def surround formats in the future. Happy audio hunting, j.

Collapse -
DEFINATELY BUY THEM SEPARATELY.......
by Riverledge / March 4, 2007 7:54 AM PST

DOUBLE YOUR BUDGET to about $1,000 to $1,250. This will assure you a decent receiver and quality speakers. Save some money while you use the freebie system. Your options alone will be at least ten-fold, and the sound quality probably 50 times better than what you have now.

Keep it simple with a 5.1 or 5.0 speaker system. The room dimensions will help us give you more accurate advice and options. In the meanwhile SAVE your bucks.

river.

Collapse -
Both jostenmeat & riverledge are right?
by NM_Bill / March 4, 2007 8:51 AM PST

OK, in a nutshell you can see where us posters here tend to go.

The constant dilemma is apparent. We'd love to see you be able to up the budget for what we see as long term satisfaction, but budget hits our real life constantly.

If you go the HTIB route I'd have to say that mid price Onkyo has been often mentioned as a good choice for the price point.

Collapse -
A quality system can last a long time
by bloodyR / March 4, 2007 9:15 AM PST

I spent about $3000 for my receiver and speakers three years ago, and I have been very happy with the results. My system is by no means 'high end,' but it's more than adequate. If you skimp and go with a $500 HTIB, ultimately you'll be unhappy with it and want to replace it in a couple of years. So essentially you've thrown that money away.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.