Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Any Recommendations for External Blu-Ray Burner?

by dr.john--2008 / January 10, 2010 11:04 AM PST

I've seen LaCie Blu-Ray burners which will do both ends of the bread. (Dual side of the Blu-Ray Disk). I've also seen, in fleeting, an ad for an 8x LaCie dual layer burner. My mainfame at this point is a MBP with a dual core 3.06 Intels. I need large optical disks for storage and for making videos.

I've purchased LaCie external hard drives, but they seem to break down on me after 18 months, or when the warrantee is up; but that just may be me.

Does anybody have a burning suggestion about what brand?

I'm running OS 10.6.2 and have Windows XP SP2 64 bit on VMWare 3.x. Now, I'm being told not to upgrade to Windows 7. Avoid like the plauge, I'm told, and get rid of IE 8 which MS istalled by stealth. Use Version Tracker to go back to IE 6.

I may just trash Windows altogether.

-John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any Recommendations for External Blu-Ray Burner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any Recommendations for External Blu-Ray Burner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Panasonic make good ones
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 8:57 PM PST
Collapse -
on Panasonic Blu-ray
by johnhofilena / January 17, 2010 4:03 PM PST
Collapse -
Blu-Ray
by mhollis55 / January 16, 2010 6:22 AM PST

I don't have any experience with Blu-Ray but I have had considerable experience with LaCie enclosures. And those enclosures tend to fry the electronics within them.

You have had a recommendation for Panasonic for drives and I'd suggest that recommendation is the drive itself, not necessarily the enclosure.

Anything Sonnet has sold me has worked out of the box, no complaints, no drivers necessary. That goes for RAID arrays, SATA and e-SATA as well as Firewire 400 and 800. I don't know if they sell Blu-Ray kits but if they do, they'll work and they'll last or Sonnet will replace them under warranty pronto.

If I may ask, why are you running Windows? What applications do you absolutely have to have that have no equivalent under OS X? And are you aware that WINE may run them? Wine: http://www.winehq.org/

As for burning Blu-Ray, I think it is inexcusable that Apple, a company who promoted Blu-Ray and is part of the Development Group does not offer software that will burn a Blu-Ray disk. As for software, Roxio's Toast 10 will burn the disks.

Collapse -
Correct,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 18, 2010 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: Blu-Ray

The recommendation was for the drive itself.

Firewire or USB enclosures are plentiful and reasonably cheap.

P

Collapse -
LaCie and Others
by dr.john--2008 / January 20, 2010 3:25 PM PST
In reply to: Blu-Ray

I have three LaCie external HD's which will not work now that I'm at 10.6.2.

The Rockstor 1 tet won't spin up and mount either.

The LaCie CD/DVD burner I've had for some years still works like a champ.

When I buy yogurt at any store, I notice that the one-serving container is filled to 80% of the former volume and it costs more. In like manner, most of the computer peripherals I buy these days seem to be crap.

Therefore, I put the question out to the forum. I gotta back up to more than one device. So what works these days? I don't know about Apple and the politics of Blu-Ray. I know that I can archive 50G or so on one disk with Blu-Ray. Convenient.

-John

Collapse -
LaCie,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 20, 2010 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: LaCie and Others

I like the LaCie drives, have three right now, running on 10.6.2

In what way will your 3 not work on 10.6.2?

Blue-Ray is a good method and Toast can handle the backup/burning procedure.

P

Collapse -
LaCie
by dr.john--2008 / January 25, 2010 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: LaCie,

I have the HD's plugged in, daisy-chained using USB-2, turned on, and they spin up but will not mount on the desktop. Disk Utilities does not see them; neither does "About This Mac". They are plugged in to a USB port which, itself, is plugged into an AC outlet. The Rocstor 1 Tet is also daisy-chained in, and it makes the noise and thinks about spinning up, but sits in an overstuffed chain instead. There is only one FireWire port in this MBP, and it's an 8 pin. The MBP is in one of those gel, protective "condoms" which are supposed to protect it from me dropping it as I make rounds, I am thinking of a dock which will give it a four pin FireWire port or the squared bottom rounded top plug (Forget the name of this type of FireWire plug, offhand. Attending too many swine and bird flu meetings.) I bought all new cables yesterday and will be interested in seeing if they do the trick. The Medical Board demands the archiving of patient records for seven years after the patient stops seeing you. My internist quit practice and took me to his storage bin totally full of huge, thick charts. So, my reasoning is that Blu-Ray would be a nice way to archive older electronic charts. I'd use encryption PGP, of course. The California Medical Board revokes your licencse for picking your nose. -John

Collapse -
Define Daisy Chained.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: LaCie

Is that like, USB to drive, drive to next drive, etc.?

I don't think that is possible with USB, certainly it is with FIrewire or SCSI, but I have never seen that sort of configuration used for USB.

Firewire is the connectivity method of choice for a Mac but USB is slightly cheaper.

Suggestion: As you have used the term Daisy Chained, disconnect ALL the drives and only connect one of them to the hub.
Go from there.

P

Collapse -
LaCie
by dr.john--2008 / January 25, 2010 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Define Daisy Chained.

Ummmm. I hadn't put it together yet. Even time at home has to be budgeted., I have the aforemetnioned powered USB port. It has 16 ports as I assembled it, It;s two flat Belkin ports with 8 ports per layer. (I used Crazy Glue to keep them together.) Each 8 port hub plugs into the AC. One connects into the other which goes to the Mac. "About This Mac" sees clearly 16 hot ports" total. Best Buy is the only computer parts store left open in this part of Southern Callifornia. The other stores have been shut down by The Depression, which we don't have anymore. They use ttheir singualrity to scalp people.They will squeal "Expenses! Inflation! We need to fire people!" You slip on the slime when you walk in. This leaves me with three online places I know of: MacMall PC Mall Tiger Direct There are the only ones I know, and I'm sick and tired of opening aaccounts. I;ll look through Password Wallet, (a great app) and see if I have an account at aome other reputable online parts store. One more thing that will make you smile. Before I noticed the massive labor action by my externals, I bought a new extrnal HD to replace all the 250GB's in series here. It's a LaCie 2 Tet. It's a reputable store. If these things roll over and die, they will recover the data and refund me. Dr. John

Collapse -
Ok, understand now.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: LaCie

However, let's start small and just connect one of the drives when you have a chance.

Try directly to the Mac first and move up the scale from there.

Good luck.

P

Collapse -
Glad I Made Myself Clear
by dr.john--2008 / January 26, 2010 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: Ok, understand now.

It only took me about fifteen posts to make my point. Do you wish me good luck with an 800 pin FireWire daisy-chain or with the USB-2? I'm sending this thing in for a pro to fix it on Thu. or Fri. and need to back it up. This means I'll need to use the new LaCie 2 Tet. Can't log into Time Capsule disk but it can be used for internet connections. It's impossible for me to log into my Mobile Me services even though I can log onto the web site, change my password, get into settings, etc. Every time I try to log in to the system preferences, I get a "verification error" message. I've been on the chats with Apple for days, and nothing has worked. [Elmer Fudd] Veeewy Fwustwating! -John

Collapse -
Firewire, if available,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 26, 2010 8:56 PM PST

USB if not.

The "Good Luck" was for any of the methods you choose to use.

P

Collapse -
Build you own external Blu-Ray Drive.
by marclar83 / March 21, 2011 11:16 AM PDT

Well if you have a dead LaClie HDD maybe you can just open the box remove the SATA to USB Adapter and build you own custom External Blu-Ray drive.

It will cost you a lot less than an External Blu-Ray drive and give you a lot more choices.

You can find all the necessary informations on how to build you external Blu-Ray drive for mac (and PC) here:

https://sites.google.com/site/ultimatemacupgrades/articles/0000001a/requirements

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.