Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Any ?other? custom settings for Ad-Aware 2007?

by eddie11013 / June 11, 2007 6:09 AM PDT

Just a minor observation, I had noticed in the past that whenever I ran any kind of ?anti? stuff, it basically only found tracking cookies, which I then had to spend additional time to dispose of. Since I have Ccleaner, and it basically cleans out these same tracking cookies, I now run Ccleaner just before I run any ?anti? stuff. Therefore, my overall time spent ?cleaning? has been reduced. I have done the same with Ad-Aware 2007. However, I kept getting one thing on my ?smart? scans. Under ?Privacy Object?, there was always: MRU Object - MRU Path - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ Recent count: 1. It would not let me get past this without doing something. It wasn?t until I read the post by Grif Thomas: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=251270&messageID=2510607#2510607 about the default setting for ?MRU?S? that I understood what these were. As per ?his? suggestion, I went to ?settings/scanning, and unchecked ?scan MRU objects? and clicked save. Now I come up totally clean.
Just wanted to share and looking for any ?other? custom settings that anyone might want to share.
Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any ?other? custom settings for Ad-Aware 2007?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any ?other? custom settings for Ad-Aware 2007?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is what I have in my settings for Ad-Aware 2007
by Donna Buenaventura / June 11, 2007 3:24 PM PDT

Scanning Tab:
1. Under Processes Detected During Scan, by default both items are 'checked'. Leave it as is.
2. Under Cleaning Engine, check ALL except "Suppress failure warnings"
3. Under Scanning options, check ALL except "Skip files larger than ..... kb", "Scan MRU Objects", "Scan Tracking Cookies" (NOTE: Uncheck only the MRU and Tracking cookies if you are using another software that cleans-up the said items)
4. Under Performance Tuning, check "Run as background" if user want it to scan using low priority level. Quite useful to users who multi-tasks and need more resources for other tasks.
Then check the "re-analyze scan result". Other's uncheck them.
5. In Ignore infections with TAI lower than, the default is 3. I suggest to leave it as is.
NOTE: For users who want to know more about Threat Analysis Index (TAI), please go to:
http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securityce...at_analysis.php

AutoScans Tab:
1. Under System, the default is "Automatically remove infection with TAI higher than 10". Leave it as is.
NOTE: For users who want to know more about Threat Analysis Index (TAI), please go to:
http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securityce...at_analysis.php
Then check "Update definitions before scanning" to ensure users have latest defs before running a scan.
2. Under Safety, check ALL items. If user prefer to not to update automatically when Ad-Aware 2007 is open, uncheck "Update Definitions on Startup"

UI Tab:
1. Under Miscellaneous, I suggest to check ALL except the following "Use grid lines in results list"
2. Under Sound, it's off by default. If user want sound when Ad-Aware 2007 detected infection, check it. Not recommended when someone is sleeping nicely!

Log Files Tab:
Leave them all as checked. Quite useful to have complete logs when we need to trace or research or wish to submit to Lavasoft for help or analysis.

I hope the above helps.

NOTE: Ad-Aware 2007 Free do NOT have Custom Scanning anymore. Only available options are full system scan and quick scan. Real-time protection is also not available for free users. Schedule Scan is also not available for free users.

For users who want to disable auto-update when opening Ad-Aware 2007:
Ad-Aware 2007>Settings>Auto Scans tab
Under Safety options:
Click the check mark for "Update Definitions on Startup"

Collapse -
Thanks, Donna - Much Appreciated
by eddie11013 / June 11, 2007 11:54 PM PDT

Per your settings, smart Scan took less than 2 minutes on 56 Gig hard drive. As expected, came up clean.
Thanks again,
Eddie

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome Eddie :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / June 12, 2007 12:02 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?