Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Any one out there read (or even heard of) Irshad Manji's

by Ziks511 / January 22, 2005 4:04 AM PST

book "The Trouble With Islam"? She's a Canadian muslim broadcaster in her late 20's who has written of her struggles with the repressiveness and anti-female stance of Islam. I just finished watching a very good lecture by her presented by Ontario's public television channel, which despite draconian cuts over the last decade and a half has continued to offer great programming.

She has posted an Arabic translation of her book online which has begun to spur discussion around the world on the topic of dissent whithin the Islamic community. Hope all continues well with her, and that we all get a chance to read her book.

On the same program there was a scathing, and for me the first comprehensible explanation of what went wrong in Iraq. Ah, the mistakes we (fine, you) made. I will try to find the Harpers article mentioned and post the address.

Rob Boyter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any one out there read (or even heard of) Irshad Manji's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any one out there read (or even heard of) Irshad Manji's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Smiles at Rob
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / January 22, 2005 4:54 AM PST

...Two sides of the coin. Flip the sides you want to see fast enough that no one sees it...

Is it written in good faith?
Who was it intended for?
..And why?

Th three questions I asked myself regarding books written by Muslim writers.

Killed my time briefly reading the book at Chapters Bookstore and put it back soon as I understood where it was heading. I'm Pro Reasons.

cl

Collapse -
Smiles right back at you CL. Anything that provokes debate
by Ziks511 / January 22, 2005 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Smiles at Rob

and reasoned consideration can be useful. The Imams in Canada are at least willing to debate her in public now.

But you already know I'm on the side of reason.

Rob:D

Collapse -
I think I have an idea...

...what the debate is going to be about...

Fundamentalism vs. Secularism
Politcal Rights vs. Political Interest
Religious Correctness vs. Personal Rights to choose.
Credibility vs. Popularity.

...in any case there's always the right and wrong on each side of the fence and I have not seen a debate yet that ended peacefully.

...it's interesting though but once my earwax is starting to drip and my eyes started to twitch - I'm outta get myself some SPUMONI.

Thanks Rob.

CL

Collapse -
Haven't read the book ...
by Evie / January 22, 2005 11:57 PM PST

... but she has been a guest on various Fox News programs over the years. She is very well spoken and rational, and makes her points in a well substantiated manner (as opposed to someone like Ibrahim Hooper (from C.A.I.R.) who so frequently resorts to meaningless rhetoric.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.