Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Any good Spyware innoculater for Netscape

While Spywareblaster works with Mozilla, it doesn't work with Mozilla-based netscape Sad I use NS to avoid all the MSIE-specific viruses, but that means I have more spyware vulnerability, because most of the tools are MSIE-specific.
-- Dave K.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any good Spyware innoculater for Netscape
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any good Spyware innoculater for Netscape
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question Dave

In reply to: Any good Spyware innoculater for Netscape

and I don't really have an answer. I just googled this and found others with the same question but no answers. Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE will remove things for you but not block them. You already know about SpywareBlaster. Possibly a hosts blocker of some sort. Hopefully someone that uses Netscape will be able to help. I know that Markflax, a member in here uses it, he might be able to help. Donna or Marianna or Brent may know of one too.

Collapse -
You can also use..

CWShredder to detect/remove Cool Web Search infection. Anti-spyware program that offers real-time protection (Spy Sweeper, Ad-aware Plus or Pro, Spybot Search & Destroys' TeaTimer - that is protection for all system settings (freeware) and WinPatrol (freeware)) can help too.

Collapse -
Thanks, Donna.

In reply to: You can also use..

Tea-timer is another MSIE-only blocker. It's also really surprising to me that SpywareBlaster doesn't work with NS7, since it's Mozilla-based and the program works with Mozilla itself, but there you are Sad
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
I always accepted

In reply to: Thanks, Donna.

that as Netscape was based on the Mozilla engine it was already protected by SpywareBlaster under the Mozilla/Firefox options.

Perhaps I am unwise to blindly accept this.

Can you say how you know N7 isn't protected specifically Dave?

Mark

Collapse -
You might be right Mark

In reply to: I always accepted

If you enable SpywareBlaster for Netscape and it tells you that it worked, then maybe it DOES work with Netscape. This thread from Wilder's forum talks about it some. There are quite a few posts on it but it looks to me like it works.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=40215

Collapse -
Thanks for that ROddy

In reply to: You might be right Mark

Yes I looked at those forums you gave. A lot of information about SpywareBlaster and Firefox, especially when SpB issued version 3.2 awhile back.

But one post did say what I had thought that as Netscape is based on Mozilla it should be protected by SpB.

I think myself and Dave are ok with N7. As another person has said here, the majority of attacks are against IE, and I reckon that us lowly Netscape users are probably just too small a community for the attackers to even notice.

I still like Netscape, even though I use Firefox more often now. I guess I'm a dinosaur, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Hi Mark, It looked to me that

In reply to: Thanks for that ROddy

SpywareBlaster would tell you if you are not protected. I do NOT have any Mozilla products at all on this computer and if I click on the Mozilla protection part, it tells me that it does not detect any Mozilla products on my computer so it can not enable it. I would think you would get the same message with Netscpe if you were not protected.

Collapse -
Ahh - Yes!

In reply to: Hi Mark, It looked to me that

I think you're right.

I seem to remember that SpywareBlaster has always given me the option to enable Mozilla protection, even before I installed Firefox, and just used Netscape.

Nice one.

Mark

Collapse -
Let's hope that Dave remembers this

In reply to: Ahh - Yes!

thread and comes back to check it now. LOL

Collapse -
Too much assumption?

I don't think this is correct. I run Firefox and Netscape and few other browsers. SWB only lists IE and Mozilla Firefox. Netscape is not mentioned anywhere in my SWB 3.2.

Collapse -
I think the only way to know for

sure is to go to the Wilder's Forum and ask the question. That is the support forum for SpywareBlaster so if someone using Netscape would like to do that, here is the link. You will have to join which is not a big deal. Javacool, the maker of SpywareBlaster has quite a few posts there so if anyone would know for sure it would be him.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Collapse -
Non-expert to a non-expert

In reply to: I think the only way to know for

Who are you replying to?

I have no need to research this further. I take my chances using AOL's Netscape.

To answer Dave's question, in my mind, he should assume the same.

Firefox is my main browser.

I also use SlimBrowser which is IE on steroids.

I have not had an infection to speak of in YEARS and I use the main complement of programs to ward off infestation.

Collapse -
My reply was to Dave or

In reply to: Non-expert to a non-expert

whoever wanted to find an answer Lenny. It was a general reply. Dave is the one who asked the original question, it would be up to him to research it further if he would like to do so.

Collapse -
Learn WHERE to post replies

In reply to: My reply was to Dave or

Then you should have replied TO one of his posts and not your own UNDER mine.

Collapse -
I will END this thread........

In reply to: Learn WHERE to post replies

doesn't make sense anymore.

Then you should have replied TO one of his posts and not your own UNDER mine.

roddy32 did NOT reply to your post - look at the tree then you will see he did NOT.

But enough is enough - I will close this thread now.

Collapse -
Hello Dave,

Its not really a huge disadvantage that your anti-spyware software is not compatiable with Netscape. Ninety five percent of the spyware that infect a computer (with out an EULA)are caused by some IE Exploit as long as you don't download and install drive by downloads your computer should be ok. I have been using Mozilla for a while and have not had one piece of spyware on my computer except for the usual cookie.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.