Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Any fish-have-feelings members?

by C1ay / November 16, 2004 9:44 AM PST

NEW YORK - Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives, animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish ? contrary to stereotype ? are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

More...

Personally, I had fish for lunch today and crab cakes for dinner. After reading this I think I might just have fish for the rest of the week if it will PO a PETA member Devil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any fish-have-feelings members?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any fish-have-feelings members?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll check with PITA
by Steven Haninger / November 16, 2004 9:58 AM PST

and see if eating insects (Yech!) is still ok and get back with you.

Collapse -
What about plants?
by EdH / November 16, 2004 10:01 AM PST

They have feelings too ya know.

Play it safe; starve to death!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wonder what Don Knots has to say about this. :)
by Rolway / November 16, 2004 10:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Any fish-have-feelings members?
by Mark5019 / November 16, 2004 10:12 AM PST

i used to have oscars they reconized me and would let me pet them

Collapse -
by Glenda / November 16, 2004 10:17 AM PST

I believe everything that breathes has feelings, But that doesn't mean I am going to stop eating red meat either!
Like Mark I have Oscars and they do show their emotions! If I move anything in their tank they lay on their sides and pout for hours! LOL
They also beg for food when we eat dinner! The other night I was eating a pork chop and they went wild, I cut up a few tiny bites for them and they went nuts!!!
They are so spoiled now, they won't eat their pellets! Only live goldfish will do! Brats!
Glenda

Collapse -
by Rolway / November 16, 2004 10:21 AM PST

Yeah, my brother-in-law had a couple of those. He used to pet them too. One day I was at his house and said let me try that. The so in so bit me.:(

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) at least they werent pirannas
by Mark5019 / November 16, 2004 10:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Also
by Steven Haninger / November 16, 2004 10:19 AM PST

Since PITA members eat lower on the food chain, might they make a more nutritious meal for.....I don't believe what I am thinking. Shocked

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Soylent Green!
by EdH / November 16, 2004 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: Also
Collapse -
Of course fish have feelings ...
by Bill Osler / November 16, 2004 10:22 AM PST

That does not keep me from enjoying the feeling I get when I eat them!

Similarly for cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, turkeys ...

I admit to being a bit troubled about the conditions in some factory farms, but I don't have the energy to attempt to do anything about it. If I let myself work up a bad case of moral indignation about every evil in the world I won't have the emotional energy for the other things I need to do.

Collapse -
Re: Of course fish have feelings ...
by MKay / November 16, 2004 9:11 PM PST

Like eat them Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Right you are.
by Bill Osler / November 17, 2004 9:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Ah that's crappie
by Rick S / November 16, 2004 9:35 PM PST

They're just trolling for publicity. I've had it up to my bream with them. They can carp all they want but they'll never hook me. That's one grouper that really tunas me off. So let them flounder around with their claims because I won't mullet over.

Hey PETA kiss my bass.

Collapse -
you didn't even batter an eyelid
by jonah jones / November 16, 2004 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: Ah that's crappie

as you put those crabby old hogchokers in their plaice...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ROFL :-) outstanding!
by Cindi Haynes / November 17, 2004 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Ah that's crappie
Collapse -
by MKay / November 16, 2004 10:06 PM PST

This question makes me laugh. I just get a picture of a fish lying on a Psychiatrist's couch, letting all it's feeling out Happy

Collapse -
by Evie / November 16, 2004 10:12 PM PST
Personally, I had fish for lunch today and crab cakes for dinner. After reading this I think I might just have fish for the rest of the week if it will PO a PETA member Devil

Taking a cue from Rick, I think I will too! Just for the halibut Grin

Evie Happy
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) on a scale of 1 to 10....*groaner*
by jonah jones / November 16, 2004 10:59 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hey give me a break :-) It is WJW! :-)
by Evie / November 16, 2004 10:59 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) *sigh*...i suppose if we all grouper together ;-)
by jonah jones / November 16, 2004 11:01 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Catfish should be doubly protected species then :-)
by Diane Harrison / November 16, 2004 11:56 PM PST
Collapse -
by MKay / November 17, 2004 9:40 PM PST

I can't get these poor fish and their feelings out of my mind. After all some of them suffer the worst indignities not only do they get a hook through their mouth but then many of them get thrown back!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.