Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Any crafters out there?

I buy candles now and then as gifts, they seem so neutral yet a caring gift that seems to appease many. I have found that crafted candles are very expensive even to the point of not buying. I realize some care and extra effort is put in but the cost is too much for this buyer. In other words is above $10 range too much? I have seen $15-20 become common, excludes any fancy candles, just simple filled jarred and very possibility scented soy candles. Come on, is placing a bow, some scent and using Mason jars(or fancy glass containers) going too far in cost. Yes, there are discounts for volume, but it does add up. Comments? -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any crafters out there?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any crafters out there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
we made candles years ago

In reply to: Any crafters out there?

I think labor + materials + packaging + transportation + marketing + profit, etc. = price. nothing new there.

here is a link that might give more information then you will ever need on the process of making candles.

"MAKING CANDLES"
http://www.candlewhiz.com/candles/

my cousin and I would make ours on her big stove. mostly for ourselves and friends. never put any up for sale. it's fun and not hard to do.

I agree with why you give them as gifts.

safety tip: avoid burning at both ends. Happy

Collapse -
Jar candles

I'll pick these up from some of the smaller outlets rather than big names like Yankee and White Barn. There are country crafters who do a decent job and their stuff is folky and made with the teeth. I prefer that. Most recently I'd found a Amish store in a Charleston, S.C. mall that had some good ones. Actually, by recently, I mean 3 or 4 years ago but I bought about 3 dozen candles to give away over time and still have a few. I can't say they were dirt cheap but competitively priced and unique in their own way. I'm a cheapskate though and tend to save the old wax and remake jar candles myself. I bought some string and...whatever those things you use to keep them on the bottom. Heck, you could just tie the string to a small hex nut and sink the thing. Who's going to know. I just mix chunks of the old wax in a larger jar and put it in the oven on a low setting until it's sufficiently melted and all the junk settles to the bottom. Pour the melted wax slowly into a smaller jar with the wick in it and let it harden. If you want to get fancy you can have several smaller jars of the old wax with separate colors and create the new candle in layers. And if you want to get artsy you can tip the jar a bit with each layer. BTW, candle wax is also good to rub on the bottom glides of your dresser drawers. No need to waste it. Shocked

Collapse -
Answer From A Crafter

Yes, I do make candles among many other crafts such as wax sculpting, tactile drawing, and other types of sculptures.

It is more than just putting a bow on the jar and using a mason jar. It takes time, and crafters usually like to be paid for their labor. Not to mention, they want to profit as the materials cost money. Here is a rundown;

Wax--$2 per pound
Mason jar--$2 or $4 depending on the size
Scent--$3 to $5 depending on how many ounces you want.
Whicks--$10 for a bag of 100. (Thse are the cheapet of the project.)

Something handmade will always cost more than something thrown together in a machine which is mass produced. Not to mention, handmade is much better as the personal touch has so much meaning. I'd pay for handmade crafts anyday, and I have.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
One is born every minute........

They are very cheap after Christmas. So, buy them then and give away next year.

This thread untracked

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.