Cameras forum

General discussion

Any cameras with automatic lens covers?

by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

I'm buying my first digital camera. The regular (Fuji) camera I've owned and used for 18 years has an automatic lens cap cover, it opens automatically when I turn the camera on, and retracts automatically when I turn the camera off. I've become really, really used to it. I hate seeing detachable lens caps on all the new digitals.

The Canon Powershot A80 seems to have an automatic lens cover, but it's not quite what I want. I'm tempted to buy it anyway, just for the lens cover. But that's probably stupid. Are there any other cameras that have that feature?

I'm looking for 3-4mp, at least 4x optical zoom, USB, and would like something that is bigger and heavier than the pocket-sized ones. I also like the curved-out right side for holding the camera. My old regular Fuji has that, and I got used to that, too.

I'm an old dog who fears new tricks and kind of want things exactly like they used to be.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 7:36 AM PDT

For sheer convienance, I like that plus AA batteries. My Digital Elph and HP812 take good shots and has the auto-lens feature.

The HP812 was acquired just because it was a step up from the 2.1 MP Digital Elph (to 4MP), 2x to 3x zoom and the thing that could not be off the list, "AA batteries."

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 8:16 AM PDT

Is the HP812 currently on the market? The searches I did on the digital camera sites came up with either no results or else a few very old reviews, like 2002. Eopinions came up with only docking stations for it. (Does it use one? I don't think I want that, seems easier to just plug into USB.)

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 11:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 11:42 AM PDT

I see. It's a nice one. What exactly does "refurbished" mean? I've seen this when I wanted to buy an answering machine, and I was picturing a secondhand product, probably broken, that they repaired and offered for sale. I didn't want a secondhand repaired product. Is that what "refurbished" means or am I being too negative?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Any cameras with automatic lens covers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 12:07 PM PDT

In this case, I can tell what I was shipped. The refurb was done by HP. It's unclear what they did, but the unit was in the HP box, with all the right parts and a "refurbished by HP" seal. The unit had the latest firmware, fresh batteries (sealed), all the cables looked new and its been just fine.

The CD was still out of date, but a trip the hp.com found newer software.

Mine didn't have a scratch on it.

I get well over a day with 50 shots plus with use of the LCD on one set of AA alkalines. And I added a 256MB memory card.

YMMV.

Bob

Collapse -
Looks great! - still curious about "refurbishing"...
by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 2:54 PM PDT

Sounds really great! I will look more carefully at that one. The "refurbished" still bothers me a bit though. Does refurbished maybe mean someone bought it at a store and returned it, maybe with parts or instructions missing? Maybe the store couldn't resell it because the packaging was ripped apart? Just trying to figure out why a product would need what seems to be a repair or adjustment. Still, they seem to indicate that the refurbishing was done on the product itself, otherwise they'd call it "Repackaged" or something like that. You think? The prices certainly seem wonderful! And that one looks like something I'd want.

Collapse -
Re:Looks great! - still curious about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 8:53 PM PDT

All I can offer is that I buy stuff there. I bought the hp812 refurb and it was in the HP box, all parts present, new batteries and firmware was current. And the price was right. Not a scratch.

No "pedigree" or prior reason/owner supplied, but I saved a bundle.

It was not repackaged. It actually went to HP and HP did the refurb.

Another bargain was a JVC miniDV I picked up there. It was list price 799. The JVC refurb was 369. Since it was refurb by JVC I did it. It's great.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.