General discussion

Any benefits to Firefox 2 over Firefox 3?

I have heard some say that Firefox 2 is better than Firefox 3 in terms of speed because Firefox 3 got bloated. Is there an truth to this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Any benefits to Firefox 2 over Firefox 3?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Any benefits to Firefox 2 over Firefox 3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not my experience

In fact as far as I can tell each new version of Firefox seems to leave a smaller footprint than the previous.

When Netscape packed up I continued using it for as long as possible, perhaps out of some feeling of loyalty to the browser. But as time passed I realised that I had to move on as well. Loyalty doesn't really work with software especially when newer versions are released, because the new versions offer enhancements, security improvements, and so on.

In my view, and especially with browsers, it is always better to move up with each new version.

Mark

- Collapse -
Agreed...

In the case of Firefox, the disk space required has typically increased slightly with each new version, but the Mozilla developers have continually patched memory leaks, meaning newer versions of Firefox do not unnecessarily consume as much RAM as previous versions. Thus, while new features has been added, which some consider bloat (much like a car's rear camera, blind spot alert system, etc. when all you really need is a seat belt, air bag, and good insurance), it's actually becoming leaner and more efficient, especially in the face of competition from Google's Chrome.

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info