Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Antivirus won't update

by Wirbelwind0 / February 6, 2011 2:38 PM PST

HI, i'm using a Compaq comp and I'll give the specs later. My internet is wireless and the router is 2wire. As for symptoms, I can's update any anti-virus i instal(avg, malwarebytes, anvira, avast). Can someone suggest anything besides re-format?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Specs
by Wirbelwind0 / February 6, 2011 2:39 PM PST
In reply to: Antivirus won't update

service tag
product name Presario V6700 Notebook PC
product number GP241AV
Serial Number CNF8192QMD

operating system
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
version 5.1.2600
PID 76487-OEM-0011903-00101
service pack 3.0
language 1033

System Information
BIOS version F.59
Help and Support version 4.4.0002

Support Phone Number
Select your present location

processor
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
version x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
current speed 2000 MHz
cache size 2048 KB

memory
Maximum capacity 4.00 GB
Installed memory 2.00 GB
Memory Slot 1 1.00 GB
Memory Slot 2 1.00 GB

hard drive
total capacity: 614.79 GB
sum of hard disks ( C: D: F: )

Collapse -
While you started in another forum with some DPC comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 2:46 PM PST

I'd use Grif's advice next at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19411_102-5070551.html?tag=posts;msg5070551

But there appears to be more to this story. I see this laptop may have come with Vista. Given how hard it is to properly install XP and running into copies of XP that have updates disable (those black or blue copies!) the rest of the story if there is one should be shared.

Then again, given how old this install of XP could be, I wonder if some virus or registry cleaner damage is in play.
Bob

Collapse -
Try again...
by Willy / February 7, 2011 1:50 AM PST

When you've done so much and hash this or that, sometimes the best thing is to start all over again, because the time and effort already involved. You'll just be spinning your wheels until you truly clear the system all up. Plus, there might not be your fault but some malware at work here or access to an OS of dubious origin.

I suggest you get your hands on ASC(Advance System Care). google for it and allow it at its default install, use it to help clean-up the PC. I use the pgm. Revo, to de-install all previous installs of pgms. BUT they must be installed not de-installed, re-install them again and allow Revo to better remove them more cleanly. Hopefully, you don't have any malware, but besides scanning the HD, be sure to scan any discs or sources, use the AV to do that from another PC to do this. You can then verify they're clean and you don't re-introduce malware back in. You can boot into safe boot with networking option and scan that way, using a working AV pgm.. ALas, if malware at work here it may have lodged itself in the recovery portion of the "D" drive so be sure you have a working recovery disc set just in case. Considering all the time it takes to do above, now you know why I mention restart from scratch and wipe out the HD, thus a working copy of the OS is a plus. If you don't have one, see if Compaq offers it(cheap too) or contact 3rd party sources that supply OEM versions of such.

Plus, it appears that this PC was probable Vista originally and not XP pro(it may have been) but the time frame was Vista releases for this notebook model series. When I try to find more info on your system it directs me to African-English side of support. It gets confusing using the specs you provided.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!