Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

AntiVirus will not install

I'm running Win XP on a Gateway 9300 laptop. I installed service pack 2. Norton antivirus 2004 will not work,load,and I can not uninstall it,or reinstall it. Thank you for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AntiVirus will not install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AntiVirus will not install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AntiVirus will not install

In reply to: AntiVirus will not install

Uninstall SP2
Remove Norton 2004
Install AVG 6 Free(if you are a home user)
Paid Software: I like Trendmicro Internet Security 4
http://www.trendmicro.com

If you do housecall first and answer the questions at the top of the window, they give you 10.00 off.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Collapse -

Symantec provides a web page on how to remove it.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2004020909040706?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Be aware that a lot of malware purposely mucks up the works to cause NAV to fail. And Symantec has fallen into the trappings of a very bloated program. If removal and subsequent reinstall fails, look to web based virus scans such as housecall and try again.

If it fails, then install Free AVG and ask for a refund.

Bob

Collapse -

Collapse -
other removal option

Get Add/remove pro, remove NAV, then see if the eval version of JV16 can be found and clean out the registry of Norton AV stuff... this is what works when you really, positively want rid of something...

Collapse -

Have you tried to do a restore to a safe point?

Collapse -

I had no problems installing McAfee AntiVirus 8.0

Collapse -

I had no problems installing McAfee AntiVirus 8.0 on my Gateway Amd Athlon 1gb - works fine

Collapse -

Norton AV has major conflicts with SP2...Symantec is working on a fix for the problem...my advice is go to another AV program, that works with SP2 update! Also, SP2 works best, if no AV installed at time of update!

Collapse -

After I installed the Service Pack, on my Sony Vaio, my Norton Disappeared. I was able to find it and it shos that I have not used it in the past 4 months. Ive tried to update, nope! Although it did scan the drives for the viruses that were already installed 4 months ago.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.