Computer Help forum

General discussion

antivirus system pro

by Indy2452us / November 28, 2009 12:50 PM PST

Picked up the antivirus system pro on my main computer. Won't let me go to avg or deliete it. How can i remove the virus?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: antivirus system pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: antivirus system pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boned
by im_davy / November 29, 2009 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: antivirus system pro

You're probably hosed but I've gotten it off of a few computers already. The first thing you need to do is figure out what processes are running AV Pro and stop those processes in the task manager. They could be anything so you just have to write them all down and go to another computer and look them up one by one. If there is a windows process taking up 40%+ of your processor that's most likely the culprit. Once you kill the processes and they all stay stopped, download SuperAntiSpyware from their website and run it. If it won't load then you didn't kill the processes, also very carefully look through services however I haven't needed to do that step so you probably are good. Also if you put Stinger.exe, a download from Norton that's a stand alone AV Scanner and it's free, you can put that on the computer and run it after you kill those nasty procs. This has worked about 4 out of 5 times for me. The 5th time the computer's windows installation was so corrupt I had to reformat and start over, (I work in IT that's why I've done so many). Be super careful killing processes. Look for obvious things like xbabsysguard.exe and very random things like adikengtai123345433.exe, stupid stuff like that. You won't always be that lucky but get those first and like I said google the rest. I know I said the same thing 5 times in this post but that's your best bet, you will never be able to run anything without killing the procs first, but again put stinger on a flash drive or cd and try to run it too, maybe it will even work before killing the processes, sometimes it can do what you need but it isn't fool proof.

Collapse -
Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: antivirus system pro

Because a number of the newest trojans won't let you download certain removal tools on the infected computer, please follow the steps below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well. After installing and updating SuperAntispyware, run another full system scan and delete everything it finds as well. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

You could also try running the AVG scan from Safe Mode as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Finally got it
by Indy2452us / December 1, 2009 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Please Try This...

Let me do a system restore. Thanks

Collapse -
I Would Still Perform The Scans Mentioned..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Finally got it

The System Restore may have brought you back to some type or "normalcy" BUT the infection may not be gone.. Install the programs I mentioned, update them, then run a full system scan with them both.. Delete anything found.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thumbdrive or CD?
by jeff_windows_team / December 2, 2009 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Finally got it

Not sure if it makes a difference, but in the past when I tried to get rid of this same virus on my computer I tried loading Mbytes from a thumbdrive. It didn't work but it was time to test the Windows 7 RC so I loaded that over Vista.

My Dad got this virus last week and I burned Malwarebytes onto a CD and ran it that way and it worked without a hitch.

Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?