Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Antivirus, spyware, malware

by ridingchick07 / February 26, 2012 8:47 AM PST

More info to my previous post. The Kaspersky I have is Anti-Virus 2012. The Ad-Aware I have is Free Internet Security. My PC is an old, bottom line EMachines with no capability for an upgrade to my RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus, spyware, malware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus, spyware, malware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Could you please add more information
by roddy32 / February 26, 2012 10:19 AM PST

to this thread here? Your other thread was deleted because trying to follow to seperate threads is too confusing. Just reply to this with the rest of the information.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Antivirus, spyware, malware, adware
by ridingchick07 / February 26, 2012 1:33 PM PST

The more I read the more I'm not sure what I should have. I want good to great security for my laptop, with the least amount of space being used up, optimal performance, no conflicts between the various applications, & free. I have on it now, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials & SAS. I'm pretty sure I don't need all of these but I don't know which one(s) to get rid of. The Kaspersky is paid for but all the others are free versions. I also want to know what I should have for my PC. It's an old EMachines that has very little space - like only 2.50 GB free space and I can't upgrade the RAM for it. So I need as little space as possible being used. I currently have Ad-Aware Free Internet Security and Microsoft Security Essentials.
Please, help educate me on this subject. It will be so much appreciated! Happy

Collapse -
Antivirus, spyware, malware, adware
by Carseela / February 26, 2012 3:05 PM PST

Presently ,The key component of next generation firewall lies in the A-VSMART (Anti-Virus, Spyware, Malware, Rootkit, Trojan Prevention) architecture that both proactively monitors internal system applications and processes while also actively monitoring all incoming and outgoing Internet traffic.To deliver this high level of protection, Comodo Firewall Pro with A-VSMART architecture utilizes key proprietary technologies:
1.Defense+ for proactive monitoring of internal systems and processes
2.Patent Pending "Clean PC Mode"
3.Advanced firewall engine for preventative management of incoming, outgoing Internet traffic.
4.Security rules interfaceEnhanced graphical UI (User Interface)
5.Pop-Up alerts provide critical security information.
6.Event logging

Collapse -
On the laptop, you have 2 antivirus
by roddy32 / February 26, 2012 9:48 PM PST

programs, KAV and MSE. Removing one or the other would help along with the the MBAM and SAS that you already have. Not a good idea to run 2 AV's.

On the PC I would dump Ad-Aware and add MBAM and SAS but also keep MSE.

These are just MY suggestions,

Collapse -
Answer
MSE vs KAV
by Carol~ Moderator / February 26, 2012 11:16 PM PST

ridingchick..

Since you have MSE installed on both your laptop and PC, it would be important to read "Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials". Especially #3 - "To begin the installation process". It's a wealth of information. It states in part:

"Remove ALL real-time anti-malware products that were ever installed on your PC (Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, Avast, Avira, Eset, etc.) Uninstall your previous real-time antimalware. Then, use the removal/cleanup tools in this thread. Not only should you remove your current anti-malware product(s), you should also uninstall any free or trial anti-malware products that may have been installed on your PC when purchased, even if never activated. Some anti-malware products have their own firewall. Removing / uninstalling these products will (or should) enable the Windows Firewall. MSE will use the Windows Firewall by default." KAV would fall under the "etc" category. Wink

KAV does not include a firewall. My guess would be you might want to keep KAV, since you paid for it. (If not, Kaspersky offers a removal tool ) If you choose to keep KAV, you have the option of enabling Windows Firewall or installing a third-party firewall. You may find "Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012/2011 and third-party firewalls" of help. Either way, you're going to have to make a choice between the two.

Both are capable of adequately protecting you. . As has been said many times before, your first line of defense is you.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Malwarebyte
by Dokile / October 21, 2015 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: MSE vs KAV

Hi Carol, I hope you will help me this...
I downloaded the Malwarebytes free trial on my laptop and now the trial period has ended and notified me to up grade which I didn't, and it also gave me the option to end the Trial and I did push that. When I try to open computer hours later, it didn't let me do it, I can't open window Start button, every thing almost freezes, and on the Desktop there white folder looks like icon, have no open option but when I right-click them shows"cut, shortcut, delet".
So what can I do to fix it. I couldn't even open the Start menu, please help, thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?