Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Antivirus Setup Question

by coolcat1--2008 / July 18, 2008 3:16 AM PDT

I got a new laptop

It comes with norton Antivirus partially setup - so far I didn't fully set it up and want to try nod32....

How do I stop norton (I don't see how) and install/start nod 32?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus Setup Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus Setup Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstall it
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 7:00 AM PDT

It's probably just a trial anyway, which you can re-download at your own convenience from the official symantec website.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
it's norton 360
by coolcat1--2008 / July 18, 2008 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall it

Actually I looked closer and it's the trial of norton 360 - which I did NOT fill out and start. would this be the same?

I see a live update - symantic and norton 260 app in CP > programs and features - do I just unistall both of these?

Collapse -
In my opinion
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: it's norton 360

I would just get rid of ALL the Norton you can find, especially the 360. I have had too many computers were Norton was installed and it slowed everything down, caused internet problems etc. If Norton isn't running or booting up, you can leave it on there to use later, but if it's booting up all the time and you see no way to deactivate it by clicking on its icon next to the clock in the system tray, just remove it.

For AntiVirus I use AVG, Spyware Doctor's AntiVirus and HouseCall.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Now
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: In my opinion

I will say that the corporate antivirus edition from Symantec is great, but not the personal home edition one.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Like previously mentioned...
by glenn30 / July 18, 2008 9:50 AM PDT

I would get rid of anything with a Norton or Symantic name on it by removing them from programs and features. Have seem too many users with issues... especially slow downs of computer.

Download your new anti-virus before removing the Norton if it is presently active and running... that is to prevent your system being without an anti-virus even though only on a temporary basis.

You mentioned NOD32... I understand it to be reputable. Presently I have AVG 8 installed and am quite satisfied with what it does in addition to the usual anti-virus checks. It's free also... don't think NOD32 is.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
Uninstalling Norton
by bowacl / July 18, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

The last couple of newer Norton's I have uninstalled I uninstalled the main program and it took the live update with it, you have to uninstall the program first or it bugs it up. I used to have to uninstall three things total now it's down to Remove All and it does. Some what like the ms office trial thing, if you uninstall office first and not the activation assistant you can't uninstall the activation assistant.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.