Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Antivirus programs cannot update

I have tried AVG, avira and avast none of these could connect to update servers, so I browsed some internet forums and downloaded malwarebytes, super antispyware, and A squared anti spyware. Malware bytes found 4 trojans when I scanned the full system using it in safe mode. the other two after that found nothing. I still cannot get the anti viruses to update. what should I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus programs cannot update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus programs cannot update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you able to UPDATE Malwarebytes AntiMalware?

In reply to: Antivirus programs cannot update

The current database information is:

Datet: 3/25/2009
Database version: 1898
Fingerprints loaded: 68602

Could you pls. post you MBAM log. thanks.

Collapse -
MBAM log

In reply to: Are you able to UPDATE Malwarebytes AntiMalware?

I cannot find the MBAM log in its folder. Can you tell me where is is saved. thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Open MBAM and look under LOGS

In reply to: MBAM log

Collapse -
log

In reply to: Open MBAM and look under LOGS

this is the log from the scan last night:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1863
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

3/24/2009 9:17:26 AM
mbam-log-2009-03-24 (09-17-26).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 340583
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 2 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\2.bin\A2HIGHIN.EXE (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\2.bin\A2PLUGIN.DLL (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\2.bin\ASKSBAR.DLL (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\2.bin\NPASKSBR.DLL (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Collapse -
C:\Program Files\AskSBar

In reply to: log

Have a look in add\remove IF you can still find AskSBar if YES, pls. remove it.

Then also have a look if you can find:

C:\Program Files\AskSBar
C:\Program Files\AWS

If YES, pls. delete.

then pls. reboot your computer.

Can you UPDATE MBAM ?

Collapse -
cant remove AskSbar

In reply to: C:\Program Files\AskSBar

I did not find Asksbar or AWS in control panel but I found AskSbar in program files. Vista is not letting me delete the folder. I turned UAC off but still when I try to delete the folder it says you need permission to delete it, I am already on an administrator account.what do I do? Sad

Collapse -
Try to remove it in SAFEMODE..........

In reply to: cant remove AskSbar

Collapse -
still not working

In reply to: Try to remove it in SAFEMODE..........

I booted in safe mode and deleted the AskSbar folder but still no effect. I tried updating avast and malwarebytes but they won't connect, If I install AVG everything stops connecting to web even my web browser so I had to uninstall AVG. I don't know if its helpful but Super anti spyware has been able to update automatically throughout this thing.

I have updated Malwarebytes manually I got the definition from 3/24 not 3/25 I guess they haven't put up the newest ones yet.

Collapse -
MBAM has NEW updates.......

In reply to: still not working

I updated again and I now have:

Date 3/25/2009
Database version 1899.

Try Unlocker

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

or

MoveOnBoot

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MoveOnBoot-Download-1398.html

to remove the "Ask.files".

Another thought:

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK
On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like

TDSSspax.sys
TDSSServ.sys
gaopdxserv.sys
UACmxegjtve.sys

Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE - NOT uninstall.
Now RESTART your computer.

Does that help to update your programs?

Collapse -
-

In reply to: MBAM has NEW updates.......

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I meant no effect on updating not on Ask files. I did delete the Ask files from safe mode and no I don't have those files you listed under non plug and play.

Collapse -
Are you able to run an on-line scan?

In reply to: -

Collapse -
formatted the whole thing

In reply to: Are you able to run an on-line scan?

I access my bank accounts etc from this pc so just to be on the safe side I formatted the drive and reinstalled vista. Thanks for your help. Can you please recommend what antivirus/anti spyware/firewall etc I should use to prevent infection again and should I keep UAC on vista on? its really annoying but if it helps I'll leave it on.thanks

Collapse -
Re: formatted the whole thing

In reply to: Are you able to run an on-line scan?

Collapse -
Check HOSTS file

In reply to: Antivirus programs cannot update

Depending on the malware, it could have corrupted the DNS host file which would cause the AV update process to not function.

To find the hosts file, look in: windows->system32->etc->drivers

Open the "hosts" file in notepad. If there are additional entries other than "127.0.0.1 localhost", it's likely malware got to it.

Copy the hosts file to another name first just in case and delete those other entries out of the origional file. Save and try the update process again.

Collapse -
host file

In reply to: Check HOSTS file

in the host file other than 127.0.0.1 I found a lot of entries which were put in by spybot search and destroy. These were safe I guess but I deleted all of them anyway, still can't update.

Collapse -
Let's try avast

In reply to: host file

There is malware which directly targets AVG and turns off the update service creating a domino effect taking out the whole program. Then you can't get to the web at all. If you can access/download the file from this URL:

http://download700.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe

it maybe possible to manually update avast. Make sure to say YES to scan on next reboot.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.