Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Antivirus and Adware Programs

by ezmon / September 21, 2004 11:12 AM PDT

I wanted to what is the best out there in virus and adware protection. I have used Norton 2004 and F-Prot
still having problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Antivirus and Adware Programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Antivirus and Adware Programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Best"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2004 11:44 AM PDT

Let me comment that unlike your antivirus, antiparasite programs are best in combinations. Some members want just one program to combat all the pests, but such has not been created. The use of Adaware, Spybot and such finds most pests.

Past that, we look to better tools and deeper inspections.

You should consider trying Mozilla or Firefox since the common entry point for most pest in Internet Explorer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "Best"
by ezmon / September 21, 2004 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: "Best"

Thanks For the comments...
This is what I have done in the last two months and are still getting viruses every week!!!

Running Mozilla
Installed Service pack 1 & 2 with all updates
Erased Harddrives completly!
Removed battery from bios
Installed Norton 2004 and F-Prot
Installed Adware
Not using any peer to peer programs
Any programs I load I virus scan
Installed router
Installed Zone Alarm 4.0

I could go on and on. That is why I am asking if there is anything else I can do.
What are you running on your machines?
Any suggestions would be helpful...Thanks

Collapse -
by frankzxcv / September 21, 2004 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: "Best"

I just downloaded and ran a bunch of free stuff . . . besides the usual (spybot, stinger, adaware)

I ran giant antispyware which found something no one else did . .

I also ran personal antispy it found no keyloggers

I just downloaed spywareblaster, I may giove that a go just for funsies.

noadware claimed to find stuff like hotbar but i couldn't find any of what it said was there, and they would only "remove it" if i paid them $30. so i opted not to try it.

are you sure no one else is using your computer?

--fj

Collapse -
by terrytj / November 2, 2004 9:28 PM PST

I?ve used Giant AntiSpyware for almost a month on 3 machines. I think it?s a useful program to have for real-time protection against adware and spyware. The trial versions installed okay and don?t seem to overstrain my pc system resources (Win XP Pro). It?s easy to set up and easy to learn how to use. So far it hasn?t given me any false hits and seems to get most of the ?bad things? (but not all, Pest Patrol detected several that Giant missed, but Giant picked up 1 Pest Patrol missed, so it almost evens out). The program includes a number of nice features and it looks the goods.

But their tech support is ABYSMAL. I purchased 3 licence codes, inserted them in my 3 machines but 2 still showed they were trial versions. After 2 days and no change I emailed Giant?s tech support and received an automated acknowledgement email which mentioned ?that most emails are answered within 12-24 hours of the receipt??.

After 4 days and nothing from tech support I again wrote which was acknowledged by automated email. After a further 2 weeks of nothing I emailed the company?s sales section explaining I couldn?t get a reply from tech support and asked the matter be referred on. Another 2 weeks later and I still have not received a reply to my original request or my 2 follow-up messages. That?s pathetic! I have now given up on them.

(BTW, my problem resolved itself on the expiration of the trial period for the 2 machines. But that?s not the issue. The purchase price includes tech support and the company should provide it whether they think the matter is important or not?and they didn?t).

With the benefit of hindsight would I buy Giant AntiSpyware. No! Am I sorry I paid out for 3 licences to do the right thing by the company? You betcha! There are other programs out there that do the same or similar and they provide real tech support.

If anyone from the Giant Company reads this, the automated email said my support ticket code was LTK597587X.

Collapse -
Re:
by Mark5019 / September 21, 2004 3:50 PM PDT

za 4.0 is old but ok, im running avg, adaware, spybot, spywareblaster.
4 yrs now not 1 viri where are you going?

kaza imesh?
have you installed paches?

Collapse -
Re: Antivirus and Adware Programs
by CharleyO / September 21, 2004 5:59 PM PDT

ezmon - Bob give you the 2 best spyware/adware tools available ... Ad-aware and Spybot-Search & Destroy. These two tools work very well together. Spybot is completely free and Ad-aware has a free version.

In your list, you did not include these two.

Collapse -
Re: Anti-virus and Adware Programs
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 11:22 PM PDT

Hi Ezmon,

There are extremely good anti-virus experienced people both Moderators and others that hang around this forum. Please give the names of the viruses that are attacking your computer, and a little info on your computer (specs etc.), and how the viruses(s) is affecting your computer. I notice you brought up before that you had to erase your hard drive 10 times due to viruses. You didn't reply to those 7 people that posted to you on your September 9th post. It may have helped to get help from here before 10 of those erasures (formats ?).

I am not one of those anti-virus techs or guru but it sounds like your System Restore has been infected reinstalling viruses each time. There is a ritual about temporarily disengaging the System Restore in the process of fixing some viruses. Also, possibly as Frank hinted there may be someone else using your computer as you asked, "What is the best software to use to find out what people are doing on your computer?" in a post on August 31st. Bob Proffitt gave one type, but you never indicated anything on if you used it, or what.

Please communicate to those that try to help you and maybe something can be done.

Regards,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.