Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

AntiVir and Avast

by ptny / March 20, 2006 11:56 AM PST

i have both antiVir and Avast installed but at startup at get this dialogue bos telling me Avast is disabled due to incompatibility with AntiVir. i have automatic update set up for AntiVir but Windows security tells me that my antivirus is not on. now i am thinking i should disable AntiVir so Avast can run, but it's not at my startup menu. how am i supposed to do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AntiVir and Avast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AntiVir and Avast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Few notes...
by John.Wilkinson / March 20, 2006 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: AntiVir and Avast

First, you should never, and rarely can, have two or more AV programs running at the same time. That can cause conflicts between the two should both lock onto the same file at the same time, or should they detect each other as a problem. (The one was disabled to prevent problems from arising.) Thus, you need to choose one for realtime protection and leave the other disabled or uninstalled until you need it. (At which time you'll have to make a swap...disable one and enable the other.)

Second, Windows Security does not detect all antivirus and firewall software, so there isn't necessarily a problem there.

Finally, there should be an option in the program's setting/preferences that allows you to have it run at startup/boot. You can also go start->run, type in msconfig and enable/disable the program's loading at startup by checking/unchecking the program's service(s). (Check the list for references to the two programs.)

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
msconfig
by ptny / March 27, 2006 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: Few notes...

this is my personal laptop but when i type in msconfig a dialog box opens up to tell me i have no admin rights. dont understand...

Collapse -
Admin rights...
by John.Wilkinson / March 28, 2006 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: msconfig

I'm assuming you're using Windows XP? If so, there are three basic user types...administrator, limited user, and guest. There are some things only an administrator can do, and it appears you've run into such a scenario.

Verify the account you're using has administrative rights by going Start->Control Panel->User Accounts. Under each username it will say what account type it is. If the one you're using isn't an administrative account, log onto one that is. (Remember, there's a hidden administrative account called Administrator. To access that, if it's not shown, log out, then at the welcome/login screen press ctrl + alt + delete twice, type in Administrator, and enter the password, if there is one.)

If that doesn't work, shout back, as there may be a larger issue brewing.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
admin rights
by ptny / April 4, 2006 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Admin rights...

i am logged on as administrator as usual. actually, i think i was looking for the place where i can choose which programs to start at startup, did something at the wrong place(which i obviously dont remember where)...

Collapse -
I wouldn't have either
by Scott Simontis / March 22, 2006 11:08 AM PST

Based on my experiences, Avast is a very poor program. A client of mine was using it, and it didn't do its job. Instead, I installed AVG Antivirus Free Edition, which got the job done, and found six viruses Avast was unaware of. You can download AVG Free Edition at free.grisoft.com.

Collapse -
I agree : Scott is right
by shankru85 / March 24, 2006 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: I wouldn't have either

AVG is one of the best freeware antivirus software . Moreover is not correct to install more than one AV software , AVG will be enough .
Good Luck & Best Regards

Collapse -
I can't use either
by jayfin / April 1, 2006 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: I wouldn't have either

I can't use Avast because of a known conflict with Zone Alarm Pro 2006 and I can't use AVG because of a known conflict with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. Earlier versions of AVG worked with Roxio but not their latest.

Collapse -
RE.AntiVir and Avast
by james_tanehsakdi / March 24, 2006 6:09 PM PST

Uninstall AntiVir if necessary or you can disable the program by disable it to startup by using the startup control program. Such as antispyware programs. Most of the antispyware programs have the startup control.

Collapse -
Use only one anti-virus program on your pc only...
by DUKESofHAZZARD / March 24, 2006 11:57 PM PST

or else using more then one at the same time will cause your pc to have problems. I don't see the need to have more then one installed when you may only use one program per pc. Having others downloaded on your pc but not installed is unnecessary and a waste of your pc storage space.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?