PC Applications forum

General discussion

Anti virus software, what to buy?

by giper / September 18, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

I am reformating my hard drive and I am wonder what the best antivirus software that is available. I use the internet daily and I am connected throught DSL. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti virus software, what to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti virus software, what to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Anti virus software, what to buy?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 10:38 AM PDT

Such has discussions in the Virus and Security Forum. Norton 2004 has a less than happy rating at...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Norton_AntiVirus_2004/4852-3681_7-30521466.html

Current at 71% unhappy, you may opt for something that you won't be possibly unhappy.

In closing, an antivirus will not be enough protection on the internet. You would also install a firewall and consider avoiding Internet Explorer based web broswers. Try Mozilla or Firefox. I am using Free AVG from http://www.grisoft.com and very pleased. I think Zonealarm is noteworthy too. Read http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10166_7-5507759-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld

Bob

Collapse -
by Testy / September 18, 2004 4:40 PM PDT

I have been using Avast, its free and it works great. I like it better than the one I was paying for.

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 22, 2004 12:16 PM PDT

If it comes down to detection and ease of use, you gotta go with Kaspersky. It's default settings are excellent. I am not sure why Kaspersky has not assumed a greater share of the market yet. I guess it'll just take a while for people to come to know and get comfortable with Kaspersky.
After Kaspersky, I recommend Norton 2005 and McAfee VirusScan 9 both of which are ICSA certified, received the prestigious VB100% award and are CheckMark certified. I'd give the edge to Norton as it outscored McAfee substantially when it came to file repair. Check out this review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1646466,00.asp
Norton 2005 also comes with a new, relatively worm-proof firewall that will replace the Windows firewall upon installation.
Both McAfee and Norton have good default settings. So if you're not familiar with antivirus software, you'll feel right at home with Norton or McAfee.
Staying with detection and ease of use, I would then choose F-secure after Norton and McAfee. Interestingly, Kaspersky makes F-secure's virus scanning engine but F-secure does not achieve detection rates as high as Kaspersky.
After that I would go with Panda, Bit Defender and Nod32, although Nod32 does not excel in trojan detection. Run a solid anti-trojan program alongside Nod32 if you choose to go with Nod32. I recommend Tauscan or TDS-4 when it comes out which should be soon. Of interest is that Microsoft uses Nod32 in its labs.
Trend Micro is good. I like its no-bother firewall. It is just set and forget.
Avast! home edition is popular, free and effective. I recommend it.
Whichever antivirus you choose, make sure you update it frequently, turn on the automatic update function. Run a scan once a week. And don't forget to get a second opinion once in a while using one of the free online scans offered by McAfee Symantec Trend Micro and BitDefender to name some of the most prominent ones.

Collapse -
by Randy_Bell / October 28, 2004 11:50 PM PDT

I think Norton sometimes gets bad review from people who don't know how to use it -- install and run it properly. NAV 2004 or 2005 are excellent, IMHO. I agree that Kaspersky has the best overall detection rate but not all PCs can take the demands that KAV makes on their system; and there have been issues with the ADS tags {Alternate Data Streams} that KAV uses to speed up subsequent scans. Actually KAV 4.5 was a better release than 5.0, IMHO. But NAV or McAfee are fine for most folks. Unless they have changed recently, I believe PC-Cillin lacks runtime unpackers. So I would not recommend PCC over NAV or McAfee or Kaspersky. The free AVs {AVG, AVAST, AntiVir} are improving as well, although you probably get what you pay for. Good Luck, whatever you choose.

Collapse -
Avoid Norton IS 2005
by Slap_Shot_12 / November 2, 2004 12:20 AM PST

I've used Norton products for years, and upgraded several machines to 2005 last month. It has been a disaster.

Regular conflicts with XP (and other software) and frequest "user session errors" that shut down Outlook are only a couple of the conflicts and errors that we've received.

Stay with 2004!!

Collapse -
Re: Avoid Norton IS 2005
by wpwhra / November 4, 2004 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Avoid Norton IS 2005

Norton 2004 was a disaster to 3 of my computers. Even with daily updates plus ZoneAlarm each computer still became infected. Norton 2004 has found 3 "at risk" trojans on one computer but can not even quarantine them. Just how many protection programs do we need to buy?

Collapse -
by GhostElite / November 1, 2004 3:27 AM PST

I agree...aVast! is the best antivirus for the money...

Also great when combined with the Kerio Personal Firewall 4.

Collapse -
by mikebr / October 29, 2004 1:13 AM PDT

AVG is good but their support is ending Dec 31 2004.

Your best bet is Trend Micro at trend.com. I have had great success with that.

Norton is horrible. I have had more clients get viruses from the definitions not updating even though their subscription has not expired.

My experience with McAffee is not good either. It takes over too much of your PC and is not very user-frienly.

Collapse -
Not quite right...
by glenn30 / October 29, 2004 5:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
by n-chen / October 29, 2004 6:42 AM PDT

AVG is discontinuing support on the Free ver.6 and intends to replace it a new improved free version. I think the newer version may now be available from grisoft.com, or very soon will be.

Collapse -
by cobraii1976 / October 29, 2004 11:20 AM PDT

This is from AVG website. "On December 31, 2004, support for AVG 6.0 will be discontinued. All virus database updates, program updates, as well as technical support for the product will no longer be available after this date! In order to continue to be protected by AVG Anti-Virus, you must be using AVG 7.0" Only ver. 6, all you have to do is UPDATE.

Collapse -
Just an FYI. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 23, 2004 8:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Is AVG Free Edition support ending?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2004 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Just an FYI. . .

In Coryphaeus' post, goto his link, then scroll down and see Donna's post.

In Donna's post she gives a link to her own web site. Go there, and click the "Home" link.

The first article there, (as at today), is that Grisoft are ceasing support for AVG version 6 December 31st 2004. There is a link to Grisoft's article and that is confirmed.

I never really liked Grisoft's web site. Their product range descriptions are a little confusing, but it seems to me that they are terminating support for the AVG Free edition, and if we want to continue with AVG, we will have to purchase their AVG 7 software.

I'm sure this will be discussed at length on the Virus & Security Alerts forum, so I won't add any more here.

I'm off now to that forums to see what is being said.

Mark

Collapse -
Markflax...
by glenn30 / October 25, 2004 11:40 PM PDT

It's my understanding that AVG is only discontinuing support for AVG 6 Free on Dec 31, 2004 and it is being replaced with a new AVG 7 "FREE" to be introduced by Nov 30, 2004. Could be wrong but that is the way I read it. Somewhere I read it was not practical to update AVG 6 to include the improved features desired; such as, better e-mail scanning. Hence the reason for a new FREE version.

Hope this helps clear some confusion.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Markflax...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Markflax...

Yes it does clear it up. Thanks glenn

I read it in the virus & security alerts forum as well.

Mark

Collapse -
by cobraii1976 / October 29, 2004 11:24 AM PDT

"On December 31, 2004, support for AVG 6.0 will be discontinued. All virus database updates, program updates, as well as technical support for the product will no longer be available after this date! In order to continue to be protected by AVG Anti-Virus, you must be using AVG 7.0" THIS IS FROM AVG WEBSITE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS READ AND UPDATE.

Collapse -
by Mirralee / November 7, 2004 12:11 PM PST

Avg will send you all the details for downloading AVG 7 FREE. The only people who will be affected by the termination of support for AVG 6 are the people who do not wish to update to the FREE AVG 7. If for some reason you do not receive the details automatically just click on the Download AVG 7 button on their website the same way you got the FREE AVG 6.

Collapse -
by CNETuser-18757844112079282720090383213646 / October 28, 2004 3:53 PM PDT

I personally use NOD32 antivirus. It is fast, light on resorces, and its virii catching abilties are amazing. Ive used various many different antivirus programs in the past, but none of them compares to NOD32. It has a wealth of options to configure, but it is well worth it for outstanding protection. You also might want to consider Panda TruPrevent Personal to compliment which ever antivirus you decide to use. I wish you luck no matter what antivirus you end up choosing.

Collapse -
by Mahayani / October 28, 2004 10:41 PM PDT

I love Panda 7.0 Platinum AV. It is automatically updated several times a day. I also find that it's scanning is faster than any other I've tried.
However, I am unhappy that after installing XP2, the firewall in Platinum now asks permission all over again for every application after a reboot. Pain in the Butt.
I hear iolo (System Mechanic) next year is switching from Panda to Kapersky and that Kapersky's new edition is more user friendly---but will it's scans get faster???
Anyway, I think my choice for January is going to be System Mechanic Pro which includes Kapersky.
System Mechanic is the greatest utility, as long as you get educated and don't do anything stupid with it.
It's recovery of deleted files is exceptional, however
don't dare Incinerate anything you want to recover, and don't clean deleted file data unless you know you have everything you want and need for good performance.

Collapse -
by bennyr / October 28, 2004 5:53 PM PDT

If you are looking for a pofessional product, check Invircible by Netz Computing. It is much more than just an antivirus....
www.invircible.com

Collapse -
by ianlipke / October 28, 2004 6:46 PM PDT

I have found Kaspersky Anti-Virus software virtually unbeatable. To my knowledge it has never missed a virus or other malware in over two years of continuous usage. It runs in the background whenever the computer is on and it automatically updates each time I switch on each day. My technical friends (I'm not!) tell me that it outperforms any Norton, McAfee and AVG product. I understand PCWorld or a similar reputable magazine compared something like 50+ AV products. Kaspersky came in 2nd behind a product written at the University of St Andrews, Scotland.

Collapse -
I reccomend PC-cillin
by Delaguna / October 28, 2004 7:22 PM PDT

I am a computer tech, I build and troubleshoot various computers day to day, and PC-Cillin is the only AV that I haven't had bad experiences with. It has all the major features of the other ativiruses, and more. very comprehensive program updated consistantly with updates and virus updates. http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/pc-cillin/evaluate/overview.htm is the link.

My data is important, so I protect it with PC-Cillin.

~Anthony Smith~

Collapse -
by SarahEmmm / October 28, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

I have been using Avast from Alwil Software for the past couple of years. Its free for home use and very easy to install and use. It can protect all your email too. Go to www.avast.com and download the home edition.

Collapse -
by AbbyMac / October 29, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

I like ZoneAlarm -I use ZA w/anti-virus at work, and it's kept my computer happy, and I use their free firewall at home with a couple of other AV aps, and again it's been nice.

Once you get the firewall set to allow the programs you use regularly you can usually just ignore it, and the e-mail and antivirus scans at work have been great.

By the way, if you haven't already checked it out there's some griping about McAfee elsewhere on the reviews pages - it's hard to tell how much is just griping and how much is legit, but it might be worth looking at before you decide to buy.

Collapse -
by ReachDan / October 29, 2004 1:59 AM PDT

Anyone have any experience with eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 from Computer Associates? How does it compare to Norton 2003 or 2004 AV?

Collapse -
by peartree / October 29, 2004 1:52 AM PDT

First off, I'm sure that you realize that you don't just need anti-virus software. You need a firewall and a bunch of other things as well. You can find the full list on any reliable technical site.

Having just finished a 9 month test and review of products, I can recommend F-Secure Anti-virus, Norton Anti-virus Pro (yes, I know), and Kaspersky Personal Pro as the most effective and most controllable products.

F-Secure's Internet Security package, in particular, gives you everything you need for a reasonable amount of safety, where anti-virus and firewall software is needed. The product has been reinforced with anti-worm technology this year. You can expect as many as 3 or 4 updates during the course of one day, depending on virus activity on the net.

Collapse -
by Tufelhunden / October 29, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

Just downloaded AVAST and I am extremly happy. It found 56 viruses that McAfee missed. Sad

Now regarding firewalls, do you need one, besides windows XP, if your router also functions as firewall?

Collapse -
by Nathaniel / October 29, 2004 7:25 AM PDT

Peartree, didn't Norton discontinue their Antivirus Pro starting in 2005? I purchased their 2004 AV Pro, but I only see the "regular" and then a 3-pack or higher. I liked the Norton AV Pro because it allowed install on 2 computers. Were you testing the 2004 Pro?

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Collapse -
by memjack / October 29, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

I use Panda (www.pandasoftware.com) and I haven't had any issues at all. I have used the other's in the past, but Panda seems to be the first one to come out with the fixes before any of the others.

Collapse -
by niteone / October 29, 2004 2:12 AM PDT

i agree i have been using them for 3 years and no problem yet.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!