Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Anti Virus Software & Microsoft Word for Mac

by jakesportsfan / July 31, 2010 1:43 AM PDT

Hello! I just got my iMac recently.

-Anti Virus Software: Do I need to download Anti Virus Software or iMac have already this software.
-Microsoft Word for mac: When I bought my iMac, I did not get this iWork because I'd like to use microsoft word. I have read some reviews about this microsoft word for mac 2008 and it is that good. Is that true that there's an upcoming microsoft word for mac 2010?

Thank you so much.

Jake

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti Virus Software & Microsoft Word for Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti Virus Software & Microsoft Word for Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 9:10 AM PDT

right now there are no virus's that attack OS X so unless you want to just feel good, I would not bother with AV software.
If you absolutely feel that it is necessary, use ClamXAV, it's free.

You obviously read different reviews about MS Office for Mac. The ones I read do not show MS Office to be very good under 10.5 and 10.6
I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

Will MS come out with Office for Mac 2010, doubtful.

P

Collapse -
agree on ClamXv
by macnerd10 / August 3, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Questions,

However, it is now donationware, not exactly free. Concerning Office, I would not blame the Mac OS X but MS itself. If the OP only uses Word, it is just fine on both 10.5.8 and 10.6.x. However, Office 2004 does not work under 10.6 and Office 2008 is full of glitches, some of them really ridiculous. There is very bad talking now between Word and PowerPoint, much worse then in the 2004 version. MS has released Office 2010 for Windows, so I presume, the Mac version should be out sometime this year or early next year. Knowing MS, I doubt that they would listen to users' critiques and clean up their act, so, I would not bet on major improvements.

Collapse -
Antivirus software and Word for the Mac
by techy not / March 15, 2011 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Questions,

Word 2008 for Mac is a an unending disaster. Strange glitches come and go. This time it was a shift to Spanish punctuation for quotations. I had done nothing unusual, but an update was downloaded by the administrator. I went to preferences and almost randomly changed them until English punctuations returned. Now I have to figure out what I did to wipe out edit preferences completely. WordPerfect is perfect for the Mac, especially for scholarly papers. But business demands Word.doc. I Wonder if there is a .rtf type of extension in WordPerfect. Many publishers accept rtf because Word.doc is unreliable in transmission.

Collapse -
MS offfice is not good
by brlarson / July 31, 2010 9:24 AM PDT

I use open office, it looks just like MS office 2003 and it's free!
I have seen MS office for Mac, and was not impressed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.