Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Anti-Virus Software

by fiddler / December 14, 2004 1:03 PM PST

Can anyone recommend a good, free anti-virus program?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti-Virus Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti-Virus Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anti-Virus Software
by Brent Welch / December 14, 2004 2:03 PM PST
In reply to: Anti-Virus Software
Collapse -
A question, Brent: Between Avast & Anti-Vir......
by tobeach / December 14, 2004 2:28 PM PST

which seems, to you, to have the most frequent definition updates and stable,effective system?? Recommendation?

Collapse -
To be honest,
by Brent Welch / December 14, 2004 2:54 PM PST

I've never used either one extensively. I use AVG on 7 of my 8 machines, NAV on the other.

Some others here will be able to answer better than myself, although, I believe that avast scans e-mail, whereas Anti-Vir does not.

Collapse -
Honest is always good.....The e-mail scanning....
by tobeach / December 15, 2004 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: To be honest,

would be the breaker for sure (most likely source?) I was leaning to Avast as it plays with Mozilla stuff also which is my main now. Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
avg antivirus
by glenncable / December 17, 2004 4:45 AM PST

Hi, I own the avg software. When I was using the free version and also the paid version. They update their defs, every two days.

Collapse -
AVG 7.0
by rileyt / December 17, 2004 7:20 PM PST

I have run AVG for three years and never had a problem with viruses etc. The updates are regular (about 7-8 days)which is excellent!! If a virus is detected during a download AVG responds immediatelly with an alert which allows you to stop the download or installation. Version 7 also scans e-mail.
An excellent tool for free!!!

Kind regards,

Tony

Collapse -
Hat's Off to AVG 7.0
by B Bob / December 18, 2004 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: AVG 7.0

I have been using the old avg and just installed the new 7.0, I'm really impressed with the e-mail scanner, but of course I'm impressed with things that spin and go whrrrr!
B Bob

Collapse -
AVG
by Jotax / December 20, 2004 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Hat's Off to AVG 7.0

I have been using AVG 6 Free Edition the entire year 2004 and it kept mi PC safe from virus attacks. I have just installed a couple of times the new AVG 7 Free Edition and have some problems with Win XP SP2, even I have tested the firewall configs suggested by Grisoft. It simply do not update the databases. I will try to reinstall my Windows this weekend and see what hapends. But I could recomend AVG so far, as a very good anti virus software.

Collapse -
Anti-Virus Software
by Echo2 / December 15, 2004 3:52 PM PST

I recommend Avast because not only does it scan email but you also get free support via email. It is also a very good scanner.
You might want to ry a free trial of some of the big name antivirusses ie Kaspersky, McAfee, Trend Micro etc.

Cheers,

Collapse -
RE: Anti-Virus Software
by Jake Barnes / December 16, 2004 3:45 AM PST

I suppose Avast scans email, I don't know, but the AVG Free v7.xx has email scans ... at least my control center says it does and that "E-Mail Scanner is fully functional" ...

Collapse -
Very pleased with AVG 7 Free
by glenn30 / December 16, 2004 3:57 AM PST

and it also scans both incoming and outgoing e-mail. Very satisfied!

Glenn

Collapse -
Avast
by firewire / December 16, 2004 4:29 AM PST

I use Avast 4.5 Home and it is first rate! 4.5 is the newest version and it wouldn't download correctly from Avast's website, so I downloaded it from Majorgeeks.com. I was using Kaspersky before, but it kept fragmenting my hard drive really badly. My Diskeeper could hardly cope!

Collapse -
AVG 7
by Pierre1001 / December 17, 2004 5:31 PM PST

I confirm: AVG 7 is excellent

Collapse -
AVG 7 Is Awesome
by Countryred / December 17, 2004 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: AVG 7

I have used AVG for over six months now. Before I had my HD formatted, I was using Norton AV 2004 edition.

I couldn't find the order, so I went to AVG on the advice of my tech guy.

Now, I have AVG 7 and it is so much better. It scans everything and I have mine set to update each day.

Collapse -
AVG 7 and Incredimail
by 9878 / December 17, 2004 6:45 AM PST

I started using AVAST, but have used AVG products for years. I have seen multiple updates some days. AVG seems to now have problems setting things up with Incredimail as an e-mail client. You should be okay with Outlook products. I would consider paying for AVG if I didn't have to manually set settings for my e-mail.

Mike

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Incredimail is, IMHO, your biggest problem
by Lenny K / December 17, 2004 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: AVG 7 and Incredimail
Collapse -
Yeah, I should have been more precise...
by Echo2 / January 15, 2005 8:03 AM PST

I know AVG scans email but as the review in PC World states:Avast surpasses AVG by scanning both Outlook and standard Internet (POP3/SMTP) mail, making it a good choice if you use a non-Microsoft mail client. Although that may have changed since I last read up on free antivirus software.
Avast! also offers free email support for its free antivirus which is an exceptional quality and service for free AV software.
AVG offers thech support for its commercial version(s)only.

Regards,

Collapse -
Good Free Anti-virus
by Colin Prime / December 16, 2004 7:53 PM PST

AVG,
type AVG in your search box
look for Free Version 7
It is about the best Free one around
Regards,
CP

Collapse -
Anti-Virus Software
by paulsco / December 16, 2004 8:25 PM PST

AVG 7 free edition available from

www.grisoft.com

Also protects email

Collapse -
free antivirus
by Slag / December 17, 2004 12:44 AM PST

I haven't found anything that can come close to AVG.
it can be found at grisoft.com and is free to the home user. they update the virus data base weekly or more often if needed.
It has found and cured viruses for me that even some of the major programs didn't.

Collapse -
FREE ANTI-VIRUS
by spacelovecat / December 17, 2004 4:01 AM PST

I've been using AVG from Grisoft for about 3 years (www.grisoft.com). Works fine for me.
And unobtrusively... Norton used to slow my pc down.
Alternatives (which I haven't tried) are Avast (www.avast.com) and AntiVir (www.free-av.com).

Collapse -
spacelovecat
by Lenny K / December 17, 2004 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: FREE ANTI-VIRUS

Drop me a line if you don't mind about your interesting user name. My profile here allows members to contact me in a safe manner.

Lenny K

Collapse -
Free Anti-Virus
by snorky / December 17, 2004 4:03 AM PST

AVG, House call

Collapse -
Avast all the way
by ganbu / December 17, 2004 4:05 AM PST

I've tried Anti-Vir, didn't care for it; AVG is ok, I tried the 6.0 build a year or so ago and it only pretended to scan emails (apparently it scans from Outlook, but not Outlook Express - but it doesn't tell you this). Now I've not tried the newer 7.0 build so they may've improved this; but anyway I go with Avast 4.5 Home edition. Top notch support on their forums, frequent definition updates, very fast scan, right-click shell integration for scanning only a file or two. Very good on resources; loads on start-up in a fraction of the time that Norton took.
I ditched Norton for Avast and am very happy with them.
(XP Home/SP2)

Collapse -
Anti Virus programs
by rebenolan / December 17, 2004 4:08 AM PST

AVG is the best - easy to install, easy to schedule, easy to see what's happening with virus checks, logs, and updates and it is FREE

Collapse -
Avast! and more
by Matrixwins / December 17, 2004 4:40 AM PST
Collapse -
CA/eTrust sucks
by Lenny K / December 17, 2004 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Avast! and more

"check the one from computer Assosiates. Antivirus + Firewall free for home use for 12 months!"

I've had nothing but problems with this "in- government-trouble-at-one-time outfit.

I even paid for one year after a trial period and I quit even though I was fully paid for the whole year (read they NEVER replied to me via email even though I was A FULLY PAID CUSTOMER).

Beyond that, I tried the free trial with the MS free update CD.

AVG 7 free has been my main program for years and I'll not look back to eTrust or Norton or McAfee.

All of which I've had extensive experience with.
My opinion is: stay away from this (Computer Assosiates) outfit.

Collapse -
Pitty
by Matrixwins / December 17, 2004 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: CA/eTrust sucks

To tell the truth, I prefer avast! and AVG. Pitty there is no firewall though. It's really sad how big companies put customer care at the bottom of their list(e-trust). avast! and AVG (running on different mashines), has always worked fine. I only recently installed e-trust on my 3rd.

Collapse -
One of the best
by quinseyalan / December 17, 2004 4:44 AM PST

I am using AVG anti virus,its free for home users like myself.It does everything a good virus protecter should do. From e/mail to downloading music--everything.. There are also updates all the time....Just download it from the AVG site...You wont regret it .....

Collapse -
Anti-Virus Software
by morich53 / December 17, 2004 5:12 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.