Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Anti-Virus for a computer with no internet

by Ski_rus12 / February 29, 2008 4:58 PM PST

My Older XP computer Is no longer connected to the internet but is still used mainly for music so I still transfer alot of files using my flash drive. The thing is The Internet Security (CA Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware which made the coputer really slow) Is about to expire and as It is not connected to the Internet so It was not being updated.

As I said I still transer alot using my USB Key and don't want to risk loosing the computer so I want to Install a free edition but how do I keep It up to date without being connected to the Internet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti-Virus for a computer with no internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti-Virus for a computer with no internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Access
by Willy / March 1, 2008 3:19 AM PST

You need access to the web in order to update. There's no way around it, no matter who's AV or similar pgms. you use. If you have to, manually d/l the update provided they come as a separate packet and transfer that to the AV pgm.. Using a library system or friend's maybe the best way, unless you access to another system. You're in a catch-22 situation. I don't why you don't have access, but if dial-up is possible check into that, cost is pretty low per month.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If al you are doing
by dawillie / March 1, 2008 3:22 AM PST

Is using the old PC to play music, then you do not need an antivirus because you are only receiving music files from your flash drive.

If it makes you feel any better d/l a free AV like AVG to your flash drive, and install on your PC.

Thereafter all updates should be done the same way.

Collapse -
I was thinking about that
by Ski_rus12 / March 1, 2008 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: If al you are doing

I was going to do that in the first place but I did not know you could download updates in seperate packages. The only thing is I went to the AVG website went to updates and saw a list of differnt packages, Which Ones?

Collapse -
AVG / Grisoft reccommends
by dawillie / March 1, 2008 10:57 AM PST

that you use their auto updates.

Ad- Aware SE now gives you a zip which you can extract to the LAVASOFT folder and replace the existing definitions.

I imagine AVG has the same process.

However I do not know what the AVG def file is called mostly becuase I do not need to go this route.

If you know what the def file is called you can do the same thing.

D/L to your other h/d desktop, extract to your USB and load back on the other PC.

Collapse -
Which AVG Ones to Download??.....
by tobeach / March 1, 2008 3:22 PM PST

When you go for manual updates, as you noted, there several of varying sizes. Which one depends on the # description of the last installed avi/definitions which are found on bottom right of AVG AV opening page of the program.

There are 3 sets of numbers at bottom right. The 1ST is program version. 2nd is virus data base version which is what you want to use. You compare this to site list which shows "minimum avi"# (the downloads get bigger as they get older...more defs to download up to current) that you already have. The 3rd is the date of last update installed.

Example mine shows: 269.21.3/1306 (current tonight). Look for one saying (in my case)
Min Avi 269.0.0 the other # shown is the current def # (1306).
This is assuming there hasn't been a "program version Update" since you installed the program. If the has been, those are available on the same page along w/ date of release.

I've used this method for several not online computers over the last year or so when cleaning up others machines after attack or my own off-line ones. Once you have downloaded & transfered the update to new folder you create on usb flash (say AVG Manual Update) & then transfered to final computer (on plugged in usb or desktop or My Docs) just
open AVG main page, click "check for Updates" from option "Update from
internet or folder"...choose folder and browse to where you have the folder. It will say update found...install? click yes and you're away.

Much easier than it looks in print!! By second time it'll be easy.
New defs come out daily sometimes more than one. I do this 1 time per week on my offline machines.

Of course it's better to right click scan your music files while on the download machine BEFORE transfer to USB.
You can also (once AVG installed) right click scan USB before transfer of files to final machine's folders.

Hope this helps. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks!
by Ski_rus12 / March 1, 2008 4:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Portable Apps?
by Dawg Monitor / March 1, 2008 12:39 PM PST

Do you use another computer to transfer songs?
If so, then you can use your USB to download portable ClaimWin. Useing it will depending on your space of your USB(256MB and above) it wont be a problem by downloading updates from your computer or a friend's computer.

LINK
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable
LINK

For me, I just use it as a backup anti-virus with the other portable programs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?