Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Anti-Virus advice

by Tathraman / June 18, 2005 9:49 AM PDT

I've recently installed AVG while my current sub. for Norton is still active. Does AVG override Norton - and should I remove Norton?
TIA
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti-Virus advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti-Virus advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Delete Norton...
by John.Wilkinson / June 18, 2005 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Anti-Virus advice

Having multiple antivirus programs running at once can cause serious problems...they will "clash," causing more harm than good. (See Walt Mossberg's response to this question here.) Personally, I would uninstall Norton AV, as Norton and McAfee both tend to be huge resource hogs.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
David, Remove One Or The Other...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 18, 2005 10:24 AM PDT

As mentioned by Mouse, two antivirus programs "running" at the same time can cause issue. In fact, Norton's installation instructions advise uninstalling ALL antivirus programs before installing..You've done the reverse for testing purposes but at this point, if prefer one over the other, uninstall the one you don't like.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Anti-Virus advice
by Tathraman / June 18, 2005 11:53 AM PDT

Thanks Mouse and Grif. My machine has been running erratically and slowly - and I think it may have been having both AVs running.
David

Collapse -
Removing Norton AV
by El Alquimista / June 19, 2005 1:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Removing Norton AV
by Earthquake McGoon / June 19, 2005 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Removing Norton AV

Good idea removing Norton, but don't rely on one A-V
program. Get another also. Try Avast or BitDefender or
Panda. I believe they are compatable with AVG. AND....
use a firewall. I like ZoneLabs "ZoneAlarm--Free".

Collapse -
Isn't that confusing?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing Norton AV

Sorry if I have misread your message Earthquake, but the advice here and generally is ''not'' to run two or more AV's at a time.

I imagine it is ok to have two anti-virus applications on a computer, but one of them should be disabled and just sitting there, and only used as a double check every so often.

But using only one is preferable, and as long as whichever AV is used is kept uptodate with its virus definitions it should provide comprehensive protection as far as any installed AV can.

Or perhaps you meant something else?

Mark

Collapse -
Isn't that.................................
by Earthquake McGoon / June 22, 2005 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Isn't that confusing?

It's not really confusing. Although it is very hard to run more than one firewall at a time (ie activated) running more than one A-V is really a good idea. Each A-V program has it's own unique "slant" on the best way to fix or remove viruses, worms, trojan horses, etc. By running two or even three, you can have three separatescans a day, or a week, or however you wish to schedule them. The only one that I know for a fact is hard to run with other A-V's is Norton, because that's the way they programmed it. Most of the others, especially the European ones, are perfectly happy to share your HD, and are very effective and FREE! I personally use AVG and ZoneLabs Security Suite (not free, but good). I have AVG and BitDefender installed on my mother's PC, along with ZoneLabs Firewall-free. She has not paid a dime for A-V protection and a firewall! AVG is a Czech program and Bitware is Romanian. Very clever people! I don't like Norton and
McAfee because they cost money, are resource hogs and not particularily effective. Other good free programs are Panda & Avast. Go to infostar.com and
click on their "Virus Info" page. You will see several,
all good and all free, and compatable.

Collapse -
Earthquake, I Disagree....First,...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 9:26 AM PDT

..although McAfee and Norton do use more resources, almost all reputable lab tests indicate they are much better at scanning and cleaning viruses than the free programs such as AVG and Avast. McAfee and Norton, on most tests, score higher...although that depends on the test, the versions tested and the year of testing..If I remember, in 2003, AVG didn't pass the Virus Bulletin tests, but it does now..

Www.Virus Tests
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69

Note that neither AVG nor AVAST were certified as to the ''Cleaning'' test at the bottom of the page.
ISCA Labs Certified List

Second, if you watch closely for sales in your area, you can find both Norton and McAfee for little or no cost...I happen to run McAfee exclusively (for a lot or reasons) and I've run multiple different versions. In the last 7 years, I've spend $4.95 TOTAL to use McAfee and keep it current. This doesn't mean that I'm trying to sell McAfee. I'm just saying, you can get most antivirus programs for not much money.

Third, Panda isn't free. At least I've never seen a FULL, free onboard version.Unless you're talking about their online scanner or their free trial software, their onboard antivirus, which is a good one, DOES cost money.

Panda Titanium Antivirus 2005
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/titanium2005/

Next, if you check installation instructions for most antivirus program, they DO NOT advise installing two antivirus programs on the same machine. In fact, two programs running at the same time can frequently cause conflicts which make them both ineffective. I have read installation instructions to both Norton and McAfee and they advise uninstalling ALL previous antivirus programs, including their own, before installing the new version. I've had to fix computers that were infected simply because of this issue. If you check these forums, a number of users have problems accessing the internet, reading e-mail, etc. because two conflicting antivirus programs were running. In addition, even AVG 7 uninstalls the previous version of AVG 6 automatically before it installs itself..Unfortunately, there are a few instances where that automatic uninstall has failed and as such, most techs give instructions to manually uninstall BEFORE installing AVG 7. The ''old'' needs it gone so the ''new'' can work correctly. BitDefender 7.2 RECOMMENDS Uninstalling the Previous Version Also. The point being...two programs ''grabbing'' for e-mail or ''spooling'' a downloaded file will occasionally have problems.

Remember, I'm not saying two onboard AV's RUNNING at the same time won't work...I'm saying it frequently DOESN'T and is that really what you want from a security program?

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE:

Because many of the newer viruses have the ability to disable the onboard antivirus programs, IF a virus get's on your machine, it has the potential to disable ALL of your antivirus programs.

Instead, I run online antivirus scanners to get ''second opinions'' regarding viruses...(Usually Trend Micro's Housecall or Panda) As you mentioned in your post above, they all have a different ''slant'' on the best way'' to detect and remove viruses. Temporarily disabling your "onboard" antivirus and running an online scanner shouldn't cause any problems.

When making a decision on which antivirus to install, choose wisely using all the available research, include your own personal preferences, and have fun shopping.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Earthquake, I Disagree..............
by Earthquake McGoon / June 25, 2005 12:08 PM PDT
http://www.infostar.com/tips.htm. This is the link to the site that I used, and still use, that recommended more than one A-V program. Different strokes for different folks! 8-) Happy days to ya'!
Collapse -
Earthquake, I Use MANY Links AND Experience...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 25, 2005 2:07 PM PDT

I've had problems happen enough that I learned well.

If you ever get a virus on the machine and the running antivirus programs get confused about which program is going to delete the infection...you'll understand..

If you ever get a virus on the machine and it disables all of your onboard antivirus programs and you are required to go online or use a DOS scanner to detect the infection...you'll understand...

Just a few of those links:

Sophos Antivirus Instructions. Answer to General Question number 2: '' 2) I would like to have 2 AntiVirus Programs installed on my computer. Would that provide better virus protection?''
http://www.mcmaster.ca/cis/virus/sophos/sophosfaq.htm#g2

Read the entire discussion at this link. (As mentioned previously, although it might be OK to have two antivirus programs installed, it's NOT a good idea to have them both running at the same time.):
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13230006

See the "IMPORTANT" statement at the bottom of the "Step 3: Use Up-to-Date Antivirus Software" in this Microsoft article:
http://www.microsoft.com/nz/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/print.htm

Read the first sentence below the heading: "If you already have antivirus software on your computer":
http://www.edu.pe.ca/journeyon/tech_support_pages/stchelp/antivirus/

Read the main topic number 7: ''Occasionally Run Online Virus Scans'':
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Yep, different strokes for different folks..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
AV's
by swathingscientist / June 26, 2005 2:15 PM PDT

No-one can convince me that McAfee or Norton are better than Avast but then everyone is certainly entitled to their own valued opinion.
I use strictly Avast and as a running buddy use Prevx Home.Haven't seen anything yet (over a year) that can get by Prevx.
Tis true though that one should NEVER run 2 AV programs on samr computer.
Was in on the Beta testing of Prevx which is now in full version,a paid version available as well.
With those two running and ZoneAlarm guarding the door,what more could one ask for?.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!