Computer Help forum

General discussion

Anti-Spyware programs

I have these anti-spyware programs installed:

SSD
Ad-aware
Windows Defender
SpywareBlaster

and Ccleaner (maybe not a 'pure' anti-spyware program but it appears to remove spyware though)

Any risk of them conflicting with each other?

[XP SP2,512mb ram, 2.0 ghz but I don't see why this is relevant.]

TIA.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti-Spyware programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti-Spyware programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No conflicts...

In reply to: Anti-Spyware programs

In fact you may even consider adding Ewido to your arsenal. It's one of the most powerful malware scanners available and would make an excellent supplemental scanner for the occasional check-ups. And don't forget your firewall and antivirus protection.

John

Collapse -
Good :)

In reply to: No conflicts...

Thanks for that and the tip.

I run AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm pro.

Collapse -
Wrong approach

In reply to: Anti-Spyware programs

It seems to me that a reactionary approach to the malware problem is doomed to fail from the beginning, and that there must be a better way. And indeed there is, or at least I think so.

The solution is to change your way of thinking from accepting that malware will eventually get onto your system and devising a plan for dealing with it, to trying to prevent the malware from ever getting onto your system to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to do a little disaster planning, and to be prepared if the worst happens, but why not focus your energies more on preventing the disaster from ever occurring?

To that end, I've borrowed some excellent tips from someone else. The beauty of them is that they're all very simple, and following them nearly eliminates the threat of malware. It's up to you if you want to follow any or all of them, but the more of them you follow, the lower your overall risk.

1: Don't use, with the lone exception of getting new security patches, Internet Explorer or any browser based on Internet Explorer. Make a choice between Opera or Firefox, and avoid IE like a diseased animal that should be put down
2: Avoid using Outlook and Outlook Express
3: Avoid all file sharing programs
4: Avoid all pirated programs
5: Make sure to keep current with all security updates which Microsoft tends to release every second tuesday of the month. It's the one and ONLY time you should be using Internet Explorer

Collapse -
Wrong Approach

In reply to: Wrong approach

I agree completely! Also, SpywareBlaster will PREVENT
spyware from installing so it's a good thing to have, and not reactive!

Collapse -
I.E. & O.E.

In reply to: Wrong Approach

You know, I got a virus about 6 years ago. I then learned about "anti" programs. I now have on my computer the following: AdAware Se, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, CCleaner, AVG, Zone Alarm Free and I do an online scan from time to time. I put all these same programs on friends and family computers. We all use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. We don't have any problems. We don't get virus's, or haven't in a very very long time. My understanding is that one can now get a virus on Firefox, since more people have switched to it. So the only safe place is not to turn the computer on.
Sorry for the rant, I just get annoyed sometimes at this drumbeat for firefox. The implication being that you don't have to have any "anti" stuff on your computer because with Firefox its impossible to get a virus or spyware. But I will agree on your other points.
Eddie

Collapse -
Actually, it is

In reply to: Wrong Approach

Though a scanner like that is at least a step in the right direction. However, it suffers the same problem as AV scanners, in that it depends on someone making up some kind of signature file for known malware, and there's no way anyone could possibly keep up with it all. You can throw in a heuristic algorithm, but that still won't catch everything.

The best method is to avoid the common sources of malware, which presently is IE, file sharing programs (excluding iTunes and other similar services), and pirated programs. IE may one day be removed from the list, or others added to it, but that's where it is today.

Collapse -
Link Only

In reply to: Actually, it is

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!