Computer Help forum

General discussion

anti-spyware opinions requested

by TJRatfink / June 17, 2006 12:54 PM PDT

I currently use Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and would like to add a third to the mix. If this isn't overkill or redundant, what ap. might be a good companion to the other two? I tried Spycatcher but kept getting an error message upon startup and shutdown. I then uninstalled it, but might be willing to try it again if I can avoid the error problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anti-spyware opinions requested
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anti-spyware opinions requested
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Spyware Apps
by kegizsftzp / June 17, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

First of all adding more anti-spyware programs is NEVER overkill. You can never have enough spyware programs. But anyway to your question click this link: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=183734&messageID=2006780
Somebody else asked a similar question like yours and I posted of what I thought. Like I suggested in my post make sure you also have a firewall (only ONE firewall not more than that they may conflict with each other) and use firefox or opera. This adds to the reduction in spyware.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
NEVER overkill???
by NickMets7 / June 30, 2006 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: More Spyware Apps

I don't know about that. Too many programs can become total memory and resource hogs. I use Windows Defender and Norton, and Netscape and so far my computer has never had any problems.

- Nick

Collapse -
Other direction
by jnbhoward / June 17, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

Don't know about you, but I'd much prefer never to get the spyware in the first place, rather than worry about how to get rid of it once I have it.

So I follow a set of very simple rules that keeps my system free of this garbage. They aren't in any particular order after the first one, which is the most important one of all.

1: Use something other than Internet Explorer. This single program is responsible for the majority of all spyware infestations. I use Mozilla Firefox instead. It's not perfect, but it's risk of spyware is presently zero, and some of the extensions for it are damn handy.

2: Don't use P2P programs. Kazaa, Morpheous, and virtually all the others come bundled with spyware, and probably the majority of the content on the network is laden with spyware.

3: Don't use pirated programs. You never know what someone might have decided to bundle along with the program when they altered it to bypass any security. Odds are, there's a good enough freeware program out there for almost every task.

4: Keep on top of Windows updates. This is one case where it's acceptable to use Internet Explorer. To me, it's the only use I have for IE. The rest of the time I only use Firefox. If I come across a site that doesn't work with Firefox, I just move on, but I can't come up with a single example of that happening off the top of my head.

Item 4 is about the only one that requires any repeated effort on your part. Microsoft tends to release new patches every second tuesday of the month, so just be sure to check the Windows Update site on, or slightly after, that day and you should be good.

Do this, and your chance of getting hit with any kind of spyware, worse than a tracking cookie, drops to near zero. It leaves you free to worry more about social engineering based "attacks" such as phishing. You won't need 2-3 programs to try and clean up the mess left in Internet Explorer's wake. You've got plenty of other things to worry about I'm sure, so why not eliminate spyware as one of them if you're able?

Collapse -
More or less
by PKsteven / June 17, 2006 2:35 PM PDT

All I run is Adaware\spyware blaster(which helps keep it off to begin with). I have used spybot and I don't feel it's done anything more that adaware has done, so I got rid of spybot. As Mike mentioned, the best preventative is to not get it in the first place.

Being all I run is those two now, and still haven't had any spyware besides a couple of minor tracking cookies, I think it's enough. Spyware blaster is free by the way.

Paul

Collapse -
I use
by PudgyOne / June 17, 2006 8:49 PM PDT

I use the following

C W Shredder

Spybot Search & Destroy

Spyware Blaster

and I use a Hosts File.

Information on Hosts Files can be found here

http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Ever since I have used a Hosts file, Ad Aware SE hasn't found anything. I have since removed this program.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?