HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

anti-phishing/fraud products

by sfpdiaspora / December 17, 2004 9:44 AM PST

Found a pretty useful product (this is not an advertisement!) called FraudEliminator that blocks phishing and fraud websites. The feature I like is that it also identifies where each website you're viewing is hosted---so you can see what country it's in. And it's free, as all good things are.

My mother recently fell for a phishing scam purporting to be from SunTrust so I installed this on her machine. It's at www.fraudeliminator.com.

Another good one is EarthLink ScamBlocker but it's not quite as easy to use. There's also SpoofStick (www.spoofstick.com).

Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anti-phishing/fraud products
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anti-phishing/fraud products
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Deepnet Explorer
by Brent Welch / December 17, 2004 10:43 AM PST

I've read about this browser, but haven't tried it out yet.

Phishing Alarm blocks scam

This unique feature offers protection against the fastest moving threat on the internet. The ?Phishing Alarm? will alert you if you are being the target of a phishing scam. It works by using both a blacklist of known phishing sites and by analysing the URLs and Web sites."

http://deepnetexplorer.com/news/securebrowser.asp

Collapse -
it's not so hot
by sfpdiaspora / December 17, 2004 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: Deepnet Explorer

I've tried Deepnet, and it's not terrible, but I really don't think it's the best solution. Creating a whole new browser just to deal with phishing?

You're much better off with FraudEliminator or ScamBlocker; it's a simple plugin that installs in a minute.

Collapse -
ANTI-PHISHING/FRAUD PRODUCTS
by thaythong / December 18, 2004 3:39 PM PST

It appears that fraudeliminator is a more comprehensive product than spoofstick (www.corestreet.com). However, it is based on Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Spoofstick gives users the choice of either IE or Firefox.

thaythong

Collapse -
There's also ...
by Donna Buenaventura / December 18, 2004 3:48 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.