Laptops forum

General discussion

Anti-Glare screen 'impossible' to find.. why?

by BlackPenguin / April 13, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

I am looking at getting a new laptop. Minimum specs are:

1.8GHz Dual Core Intel CPU
2 Gigs of ram (667 MHz)
120 Gigs of hard drive space (prefer 160, but will settle on 120)
Anti-Glare 15" screen (will be ok if larger) The Anti-Glare is a must.
Video Card: I don't much care in this dept. Just as long as rendering modern day web pages doesn't take forever.
Built in wireless.

I'm not asking for much here. I have just described the average laptop out there. Except for the anti-glare.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1520?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
that is a link to the 1520 Inspiron from Dell it has an anti-glare screen. It is the only one I can find from HP, Compaq, Dell, Lenovo, and Alienware.

My question is really two fold.

1.) Why is it so hard to find anti-glare on a laptop? Is it a manufacturing issue? A reliability issue?

2.) Besides the above mentioned laptop from Dell. Does anyone know of another laptop that has or can have an anti-glare screen on it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anti-Glare screen 'impossible' to find.. why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anti-Glare screen 'impossible' to find.. why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Because anti-glare. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2008 8:52 AM PDT

is pass

Collapse -
brightly lit areas are a problem
by BlackPenguin / April 13, 2008 9:15 AM PDT

I would agree that the glossy screen may look better, but ever tried using one in a brightly lit area? For example at the park? or outside on a lunch break? ya can't see anything. not trying to argue just making a point.

Collapse -
(NT) I totally agree. It's just the market.
by Coryphaeus / April 13, 2008 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Anti-glare screen
by samkh / April 14, 2008 2:22 AM PDT

is mostly a business user feature. Hunt for business notebooks at the major vendors' websites.

Collapse -
Anti-Glare Laptop Screen Proctector
by Cyrus210 / April 14, 2008 10:03 PM PDT

I wouldn't limit my self to a laptop with an antiglare screen. Those screens are not as good in quality in displaying graphics. The primarily reason for the glare is because laptop screens are backlit (better quality).

Buy a laptop screen protector instead. A small investment and it also protects your screen form dirt and scratches. For you, look for a higher end type with a specific focus on the anti-glare feature. What ever size your laptop screen is, you can find one that specifically sized to your new laptop.

Collapse -
Anti-Glare Laptop Screen Proctector
by jerrysams / April 19, 2008 2:04 PM PDT

What brand anti-glare screen protector works best (or even OK) on a 15.4 in Acer (or similar) notebook computer that has a "bright" type screen?

Collapse -
have you found one yet?
by ziker44 / April 21, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

I have been searching for the same thing. I purchased a Dell xps m1530 and the glossy screen is driving me crazy. I was considering 3m's privacy screen but the reviews are unfavorable regarding anti-glare capability. Any progress in finding an effective anti-glare screen?

Collapse -
Anti-Glare Laptop Screen Protector
by pjbarbosa219 / December 2, 2009 2:23 AM PST

Where can I buy an Anti-Glare Laptop Screen Protector for a 14.5" Laptop; 13" Laptop and 15.4" Laptop.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Anti-Glare Film
by Gerald H / January 27, 2010 2:08 AM PST

just goggle "anti-glare film". It's pricey, a company called photodon offers it for about $20/screen. It's also tricky to apply just right, (without capturing air bubbles or dirt).

Collapse -
Screen Protector + Glossy is better than Anti-Glare Screen?
by LADoReMi / April 21, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

Are you saying that getting a glossy screen and covering it with an anti-glare screen protector will give me better images than opting for a laptop that comes with an anti-glare screen? I'm wondering whether having the layer of the screen protector on the screen would degrade the quality of the image. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice. I'm struggling with this issue myself in trying to choose a laptop. I have a room with a lot of sunlight.

Collapse -
(NT) Rubbish
by keeboudi / December 15, 2010 2:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Nonsense
by keeboudi / December 15, 2010 2:20 AM PST

All laptop screens are backlight - doh!
The glare is because of the glossy finish of the screen ... only good for magpies who are attracted to shiny things!

Collapse -
ANOTHER Problem with Glossy Screens -- Angle of Viewing
by LADoReMi / April 21, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

I notice that the glossy screens look great when you are looking at them from the "sweet spot" -- right in front and looking directly into the screen, sometimes slightly below.

However, when I call someone over to look over my shoulder at something, or when two or three of us are watching a slide show together, only the person sitting in front of the image gets the crisp, brightly colored view. For the people looking at the screen from an angle, the colors look washed out and the image is blurry.

From every viewing angle except for the one directly in front, those glossy screens don't look very good. Moreover, that "sweet spot" seems very small to me: I notice that even a slight change in position can make the image change.

Anyone else noticed that?

Collapse -
sweet viewing angle
by BlackPenguin / April 21, 2008 2:39 PM PDT

yeah i noticed that if you aren't dead on sometimes the image is either washed out, or it is darkened...

Collapse -
anti-glare screen
by rowslow / January 16, 2009 1:52 AM PST

Did you find a laptop with an anti-glare screen? I'm looking for either a monitor or laptop with an anti-glare screen as I have a very bright room and my present laptop has a shiny screen and is very hard to view.

Collapse -
Addendum: The Reason Why:
by Gerald H / January 27, 2010 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: anti-glare screen

Shiny glass is cheaper to manufacture, especially at the thickness today's laptop's require. Producing glass with a perfect matte finish who's effect does not vary over the full height and width of an lcd monitor most likley yeilds a large percentage of unusable product at the factory and returns at the store.

Hence the heavy marketing campaign for "Theatre-Like Clarity" et al.

Most of the time indoors, the drawbacks of using a monitor that doubles as a mirror can be ignored or mitigated by turning or moving the laptop. However in many brightly lit venues it can make the computer impossible to use.

Try googling "anti-glare film". There is a company called photodon that sells pre-cut filters you attach yourself. I am hoping to try them soon. (It looks like it may be tricky to attach without trapping air bubbles or dirt.)

ps: Yes I know I misspelled "Google" in my last post.

Collapse -
Dell Vostro 1220
by carluman / February 16, 2010 9:59 PM PST

You can get a screen like that on the Dell Small business site. Vostro 1220... there is a 40% off $1099+ coupon that is over today. I'm in the same boat looking for something that I would like. I'm going back and forth between the 1220 and the IBM U150.

Collapse -
Lok at this site they even have the sizes based
by orlbuckeye / February 18, 2010 4:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Anti-Glare screen 'impossible' to find.. why?
by jjaeg / November 25, 2010 11:45 AM PST

No trouble to find with business laptops eg. DELL's Vostra range

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?