Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Another wipeout?

by Dick White / July 6, 2005 12:12 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Another wipeout?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Another wipeout?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is my understanding ...
by Evie / July 6, 2005 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Another wipeout?

... he is doing more mountain biking type biking than road course. Even road riding of any substantial distances has hazards. When I trained for my mini-triathalon I fell a few times. Thank God I'm not the President and it didn't make the news!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Doesn't sound like it. I'm glad President Bush is an active,
by Kiddpeat / July 6, 2005 5:01 PM PDT

adventuresome, friendly kind of guy.

Collapse -
Another reminder...
by Angeline Booher / July 6, 2005 9:34 PM PDT

..... of the fact that all powerful people are human like the rest of us.

No doubt the President will take all of the late-night shows jokes in good humor.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
only natural i guess
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 10:06 PM PDT
in the UK they ride on the left

Wink

Collapse -
"ANOTHER Wipeout and "Bush can't ride". I didn't...
by Jack Ammann / July 7, 2005 12:12 AM PDT

...see any of that in the article. Kinda brings into question what your point was...Oh, never mind, I think I already know.

Collapse -
well...
by Dick White / July 7, 2005 12:55 AM PDT

Item 1. A while back, we had one of our occaisonal new discoveries in science threads about how some region in the brain develops differently for a small portion of the population, leaving them unable to appreciate the language nuances that lead to humor, irony, and sarcasm.

Item 2. A while further back (and even continuing to the present), we had a number of threads that no matter the subject detail seemed to always devolve down to "Bush Can't Swim."

I put this post up as an interesting factiod of current events, but with a headline that already would satisfy those who subscribe to Item 2.

I leave each to their own devices to decide where they wish to sit, but for those who are unsure, perhaps Item 1 is applicable.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Never mind, I now know what your point was.
by Jack Ammann / July 7, 2005 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: well...
Collapse -
Did all that superfluous jargon say...
by Jack Ammann / July 7, 2005 2:28 AM PDT

...that article had the words "ANOTHER Wipeout and "Bush can't ride" and I just missed them? Oh never mind...I know what your point was.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&pip!
by jonah jones / July 7, 2005 3:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He can't even ride a bike? This is worse than Gerry Ford!
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Who's "Gerry"?
Collapse -
Gerald Ford...
by Dick White / July 7, 2005 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Who's "Gerry"?

our first (and only, so far) unelected President. He bumped his head on the door frames of cars and aircraft while getting in/out and tripped down some stairs once. Folks good-naturedly ribbed him about not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

dw

Collapse -
Ironically Ford was one of the most athletic
by EdH / July 7, 2005 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Gerald Ford...

and graceful Presidents we've ever had. With a lot of physical activity comes the inevitabe fall. Also he is a large guy and doorways and such are designed for the smaller sizes. The stumbling image created by Cghecvy Chase and others was totally incorrect.

So it is with Bush. He rides bikes and does other physical activity all the time. To say he can't ride a bike is exactly the opposite of the truth.

But that's the usual for his critics.

Collapse -
especially...
by Dick White / July 7, 2005 2:02 AM PDT

the graceful part. Graceful in taking all the ribbing from his toe-stub. A gracefulness and ability to laugh at one's self that some here in SE should aspire to. Ford was not such a bad president as some made him out, particularly given the awkwardness of the politics of the time.

dw

Collapse -
Are you speaking for Rob now? Oh, never mind...
by Jack Ammann / July 7, 2005 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Gerald Ford...

...I know what your point is.

Collapse -
Am I to understand you have forgotten Gerald Ford
by Ziks511 / July 7, 2005 4:20 AM PDT

who did slip and fall more than once in public, and of whom the acid tongued Lyndon Johnson reputedly once said, "Gerry Ford can't walk and chew gum at the same time"?

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I really DO NOT care what you DO or DO NOT understand.
by Jack Ammann / July 7, 2005 10:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Gerald Ford said
by JP Bill / July 7, 2005 12:14 PM PDT

I know I'm getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators.

Collapse -
He also said,
by EdH / July 7, 2005 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Gerald Ford said

"Im not a Lincoln; I'm a Ford." Which I thought was one of the great lines from a politician.

Collapse -
He also said,
by gooslojo / July 7, 2005 1:18 PM PDT

Betty,are you f***** up again?

Collapse -
And
by JP Bill / July 7, 2005 1:39 PM PDT

If Lincoln were alive today, he'd be turning over in his grave.

The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?

Things are more like today than they have ever been before.

Collapse -
It does take your logic to reach that conclusion.

You want to talk about Al Gore getting lost in the woods, and requiring a Secret Service rescue?

Collapse -
another comparison
by kmarchal / July 7, 2005 2:58 AM PDT

The president was concerned about the officer's condition, and talked with him for some time after the collision, McClellan said. The president also asked White House physician Richard Tubb to monitor the officer's condition at the hospital.

Now a Senator said, ?I don?t fall down. That son-of-a-blank ran into me.?
this Senator referred to the agent in this fashion, as opposed to inquiring about the condition of the bodyguard.

If the thing we say define who we are?..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LIVE FROM NEW YORK...IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!!
Collapse -
When you are as active ...
by Evie / July 7, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

... as my President then you can make fun. Your guy Kerry, BTW, cursed out the SS agent that "made him fall" on the slopes during the campaign. At least Bush takes it in good stride and demonstrates concern for others.

Collapse -
I think **** was being facetious.....
by Josh K / July 7, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

...in referring to the ''Bush can't swim'' joke that was going around awhile back.

He fell off his bike. No big whoop though I suppose it's a bit embarrassing when something like this happens to a world leader. I still have a scar on my leg from a run-in I had with a car door when riding my bike over 30 years ago. It was raining and my brakes were wet. I wasn't going very fast but when someone swung his driver's side door open right in front of me, I couldn't stop, I hit the door and flew forward. Luckily the guy had his window down or I'd have gone through the glass. I'm very lucky that the gash on my leg was my only injury (there were no helmet laws back then).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.